Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Rock Band expands on the concepts Harmonix established in its Guitar Hero franchise by allowing players to play guitar, bass, drums, and sing to a variety of songs from various sub-genres and time periods.

Post-Update Bug?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

So, I popped in Rock Band to play a few songs.  The blade slid on screen, informed me of an update, which I downloaded promptly. 

"Enter Sandman" was one of the last songs I had yet to Gold Star on Expert using the guitar -- my high score was 173,000 and change.  I played it first, cruised through the solo, and the game awarded me with Gold Stars.  My score was 132,000. 

I had yet to break my own (non-Gold Star) high score, much less the cutoff for the Gold Star rating, but the game awarded me the rating regardless.  The same "early Gold Star" event happened once more in "Tom Sawyer", and again in "Flirtin' With Disaster" (read: I had not yet broken my own high score, yet the game awarded me with a Gold Star rating). 

Is this an isolated case, or is this something people have been noticing post-update?

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Megalon

The update lowered the gold star cutoff for all songs.

From the website:
    "So there is a 360 title update coming out for Rock Band today, PS3 will follow and we'll let you know when we have an idea when it will drop. What's in it? A couple of things.

First of all - it updates RB1 so you will still be able to purchase DLC from the Rock Band store. Downloading this patch is required if you'd still like to do that.

Second - Lowers the threshold on gold stars making it easier/possible to gold star songs. This won't affect leaderboards as it only affects the threshold, not the score.

Third - Lately a few songs have had unhittable notes. This should be fixed now.

Lastly - It will allow you to export your songs from the RB1 disc to the hard drive for play in Rock Band 2. Official language follows for this feature-"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why'd they do that?  What's their logic behind lowering the Gold Star threshold?

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JakJ

I've got the PS3 version, so I haven't experienced this, but I really have to wonder why they lowered the gold star thereshold. Shouldn't it be something really really hard to get. Wht else is the point?

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Timma1083

The reason they lowered the Gold-Star cutoff is because some songs were mathematically impossible to Gold Star. Seven on Drums, Bang a Gong and Rockaway Beach on Guitar, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Timma1083 said:
    "The reason they lowered the Gold-Star cutoff is because some songs were mathematically impossible to Gold Star. Seven on Drums, Bang a Gong and Rockaway Beach on Guitar, etc."
    Wow, seriously? 

I should do some research and see some reactions to that.  Why didn't Harmonix patch this earlier?  Those last two songs, are they recent downloads?
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By A Likely Story

If that was the case, then why change all of the songs?

Honestly, I'd rather have the harder scores still (except for the bugged songs, obviously). Gold starring should be challenging, and if I start gold starring songs that I shoulnd't be I'm going to be disappointed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hobbies said:
    "If that was the case, then why change all of the songs?

Honestly, I'd rather have the harder scores still (except for the bugged songs, obviously). Gold starring should be challenging, and if I start gold starring songs that I shoulnd't be I'm going to be disappointed."
    Yeah, and that's what's started to happen.  The Rock Band Gold Star design already discredits the five star as a sign of success.  It isn't like the Guitar Hero gold star, which signifies a Full Combo.  Now, if the Gold Star is too easy, then the Five Star isn't worthy of attaining -- to a high level player, it's an unsuccessful run. 
    AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By AlexB

Yeah its funny when you have a high score and you don't have gold stars, but then get a lower score and recieve gold stars, but it still keeps your previous score. I was freaking out because i thought i was badass because i finally GSed Tom Sawyer and then i learned that they lowered the threshold.  Its good and bad IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just leads me to the conclusion that it's impossible to program the threshold to be lower on a certain song based on a certain instrument without lowering the cutoff for all instruments.  Doing so must introduce a bug or some-such.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Timma1083
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "It just leads me to the conclusion that it's impossible to program the threshold to be lower on a certain song based on a certain instrument without lowering the cutoff for all instruments.  Doing so must introduce a bug or some-such."
    All I know its Gold Stars are basically programmed the same way as the threshold for 3-stars, 4-stars, and 5-stars. But I've never heard of them being able to program certain songs' thresholds differently. Maybe you're right, maybe it does cause a bug. In my opinion I think its just easier for them to lower the cutoff a bit for Gold-Stars instead of programming individual songs to be different.

At least I was able to Gold-Star Tom Sawyer with this patch, I've always been less then ~2,000 points off from Gold Stars.
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Megalon

I'm ok with them lowering the GS cutoff, but I wish there was some kind of separate distinction for FC'ing a song (5 platinum stars maybe? something would be nice..). I've got a few FC's that are not GS, and a lot of GS that are FC's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Megalon said:
    "I'm ok with them lowering the GS cutoff, but I wish there was some kind of separate distinction for FC'ing a song (5 platinum stars maybe? something would be nice..). I've got a few FC's that are not GS, and a lot of GS that are FC's."
    Right.  See, this is the effect the lowered Gold Star thresholds have on the opposite end of the spectrum.  On on hand, they belittle the achievement of getting a five star rating, and on the other, they ignore the (even greater) achievement of perfecting a song. 

I mean, I still have fun with the game regardless.  But I am of the mindset, being an expert-level player, that the rating means something. 
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By A Likely Story
    Megalon said:
    "I'm ok with them lowering the GS cutoff, but I wish there was some kind of separate distinction for FC'ing a song (5 platinum stars maybe? something would be nice..). I've got a few FC's that are not GS, and a lot of GS that are FC's."
    Yeah, I also wish the game would record your 100% runs.

Actually, I wish it would record a bunch of stats for songs (how many times played, failed, lower score (per difficulty), highest score, etc). That would sweet. :D
    Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Timma1083
    Megalon said:
    I would love to see Platinum Stars for FC'ing a song. Like a lot of people around here who play Expert, I like knowing which songs I've FC'ed and which I haven't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.