Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Roogoo: Twisted Towers

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

SouthPeak and SpiderMonk bring their shape-dropping puzzle game to the Wii.

Roogoo Tries For Round Two On Wii

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Roogoo is a shape-matching puzzle game that came out last year on Xbox Live Arcade. The concept couldn't be much simpler--there are five shapes (square, star, heart, and so on) that drop from the sky, and you rotate a series of discs so the currently dropping block falls through the slot of the same shape. For whatever reason, the game didn't really catch on last year; publisher SouthPeak suspects the whimsical art style and bright color palette may have been incompatible with the Xbox audience (what with its preference for way more mature activities like headshots and teabagging).

Gotta drop 'em all.
    Gotta drop 'em all.
    If that's the case, the new Wii version, Roogoo: Twisted Towers, might have found a more accepting home. It brings the same basic puzzle gameplay over to the Nintendo console and adds a number of mechanics on top of it. For one, you've got an onscreen net-shaped cursor that you or a second player can wave around, Mario Galaxy-style; you use this to grab pieces that you've mismatched--which sends them flying off the side of the screen--and return them to play, instead of just losing them.

There are a few "boss" battles here, which amount to playing the game as normal with a big mean bad guy stomping around in the background. I fought a battle against a gigantic yeti who could occasionally interfere by fogging up the screen with ice crystals (removed with a few quick swipes of the Wii remote). After completing enough shapes successfully, the camera dropped to a low angle so I was firing stacks of shapes at the yeti to defeat him.

Since this is the Wii we're talking about, SouthPeak and developer SpiderMonk have wisely focused on multiplayer party modes in Twisted Towers. One of them is a cooperative mode where four people play the same game; each time a piece drops through a disc, another player gains control and has to spin the successive disc. There are also some head-to-head split-screen modes that let you pick up special weapons to piss off your opponent with. You can get moves like the same screen-covering ice attack the yeti used, or a weight that makes the other guy's pieces drop way faster.

Roogoo has a simple, easy premise that gets pretty hectic when the levels get faster and more intricate. It probably won't blow anyone's mind, but I'm glad pure puzzle games like this are still being made these days. SouthPeak kindly let us record our gameplay session when they stopped by the Giant Bomb basement, so here's a montage from that which shows off pretty much everything I just described. For reference, anywhere you see anyone winning anything, that's me playing. Believe it.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    Roogoo is a shape-matching puzzle game that came out last year on Xbox Live Arcade. The concept couldn't be much simpler--there are five shapes (square, star, heart, and so on) that drop from the sky, and you rotate a series of discs so the currently dropping block falls through the slot of the same shape. For whatever reason, the game didn't really catch on last year; publisher SouthPeak suspects the whimsical art style and bright color palette may have been incompatible with the Xbox audience (what with its preference for way more mature activities like headshots and teabagging).

Gotta drop 'em all.
    Gotta drop 'em all.
    If that's the case, the new Wii version, Roogoo: Twisted Towers, might have found a more accepting home. It brings the same basic puzzle gameplay over to the Nintendo console and adds a number of mechanics on top of it. For one, you've got an onscreen net-shaped cursor that you or a second player can wave around, Mario Galaxy-style; you use this to grab pieces that you've mismatched--which sends them flying off the side of the screen--and return them to play, instead of just losing them.

There are a few "boss" battles here, which amount to playing the game as normal with a big mean bad guy stomping around in the background. I fought a battle against a gigantic yeti who could occasionally interfere by fogging up the screen with ice crystals (removed with a few quick swipes of the Wii remote). After completing enough shapes successfully, the camera dropped to a low angle so I was firing stacks of shapes at the yeti to defeat him.

Since this is the Wii we're talking about, SouthPeak and developer SpiderMonk have wisely focused on multiplayer party modes in Twisted Towers. One of them is a cooperative mode where four people play the same game; each time a piece drops through a disc, another player gains control and has to spin the successive disc. There are also some head-to-head split-screen modes that let you pick up special weapons to piss off your opponent with. You can get moves like the same screen-covering ice attack the yeti used, or a weight that makes the other guy's pieces drop way faster.

Roogoo has a simple, easy premise that gets pretty hectic when the levels get faster and more intricate. It probably won't blow anyone's mind, but I'm glad pure puzzle games like this are still being made these days. SouthPeak kindly let us record our gameplay session when they stopped by the Giant Bomb basement, so here's a montage from that which shows off pretty much everything I just described. For reference, anywhere you see anyone winning anything, that's me playing. Believe it.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Actually looks somewhat interesting if I had a Wii and friends over.

Not sure about the full retail price tag though. Oh well it's all hypothetical for me
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Funny how a little downloadable arcade mini game on the 360 can totally pass as a full price Wii game.  That's why I haven't played the Wii since I bought one, it's entire game library is just a bunch of mini games that sell as "party games".

Trnck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Trnck

Looks boring to me.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Endogene
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure

This looks kinda cool.  I'm a bit wary about muitiplayer allowing people to obscure your disc with their icons, but maybe that's part of the deal.

Defunctfrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Defunctfrenzy

Is it just me or the music sound oddly like  Ol' Dirty Bastard's - Shimmy Shimmy Ya??

ODB unlockable character FTW!
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain

I enjoyed this on XBLA, but a full retail game? Wowzas... Seems a little over the top but then if the audience is going to lap it up then more power to them. I certainly won't be buying this, no need to.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Meowayne
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Funny how a little downloadable arcade mini game on the 360 can totally pass as a full price Wii game.  That's why I haven't played the Wii since I bought one, it's entire game library is just a bunch of mini games that sell as "party games"."
    Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring - Bananaphone!
    waza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By waza

this game is a F'in joke ... 3 year old kids play this kind of games, to put forms and colors together

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Media_Master

looks like a good game

just not my type of game...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Looks like a fun little game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.