Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 14, 2015

EA Sports brings their golf franchise to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Disappointing

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By bceagles128

Sounds like all the reviews are slamming this game for pulling back features and not having enough content. That's too bad. I was hoping to dip back in this year after a lengthy absence. I don't understand why EA thinks they can get away with treating this like a launch title ala NHL last year, a full TWO YEARS after the consoles launched.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ya I played the early EA access, and I was not impressed. It felt like a game from 2005. The Golf Club is much farther ahead of this game its mind boggling.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

I've really been a fan of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games since the early 2000's, but unfortunately, it has always been wildly uneven in terms of content and feature set. It's definitely a franchise where you should only pick up a new entry every few years, and only if the reviews are generally fairly positive.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bceagles128

Yeah this is really the only sports series that I play anymore, and I've already taken a few years off. That combined with the next gen upgrade made me think that it might be a good time to re-up but I guess not. I used to play Madden growing up but it just seems like they haven't done much to that series in a really long time. I've also liked the Mlb the Show series in the past but it takes too damn long to play any meaningful length in the franchise mode. I guess sports games have just sort of passed me by.

@sterling Would you recommend Golf Club? I'm guessing PC so you can put up modded courses?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I'm a rare breed, but I like me the occasional golf game. It's the only sports game I can get into. I haven't played any extensively, but it's something that's kinda relaxing for me. I couldn't get into the golf club due to the steep learning curve, but I'm enjoying this game due to its relative ease. The lack of content really does suck and I'm not defending the game for it, but for an occasional golf video game player, it's doing its job.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought it because I love the Tiger Woods games and haven't played one for 6 years. It still has the gameplay so I'm having fun playing it, but the lack of content does suck. The create-a-player is the most egregious to me, its horrific. Tiger Wood's used to have THE BEST character creator back in the day. It's a real shame. Thankfully the game plays very, very well and is still fun.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@sterling said:

Ya I played the early EA access, and I was not impressed. It felt like a game from 2005. The Golf Club is much farther ahead of this game its mind boggling.

Really? Man, and here I felt The Golf Club was pretty bare bones when I last played it. That's kind of a bummer for the new PGA Tour.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just picked up Golf Club instead. It's half the price. The lack of customization and career mode stinks but I like that they removed all the shitty arcade aspects. I just want golf.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well good thing I waited before I bought this. I was really looking forward to this one too.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It's been gutted, but it's still a fun golf game. Unskippable orologue videos are the fucking worst, though, and there's a lot of self promotion in the UI. I dunno. Hopefully in another two years, this will be a full featured game again.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I do wonder if the plan for sports game is to give you bare bones and add other stuff via DLC and microtransactions. Any new about what the DLC will be like? Althought I'm getting a funny feeling about sports games lately for another reason, maybe the demands of making these games in teh same way is not really possible

I wonder if the licensing for a sport, players, and play surfaces has changed. I can see it both ways more courses, more players, more realistic logos or tours events means more work, but how does the licencing work on this did fees go up...are some courses demanding more money? Same with actual players, has something changed about licensing??? And woudl EA tell anyone licensing was changed and that why course are missing....they wouldn't if they are negotiating for those missing thing for next time at a better price.

Thats the really sad thing, it could be that new games are harder to make, more complex games are harder to keep stable, fees could be going up, and what people "want" is changing? If many thing are in teh way of games being as "full featured as they used to be that's sad, but even worse is we can't really know why? We can say "greedy corporations" all we want...but which greedy corporation is it EA, PGA, or PGA Tour (yeah, some separate company....god knows why?), or the PGA Players Association? Also, after James "Jim" Brown v. Electronic Arts, Inc. and that NCAA and EA Videogame Likeness Settlements, using sports personalities in games must be getting very weird.

We'd probably love transparency with these things, but who from? As much as people hate EA I don't think the jerks running PGA or LPGA are saints, nor woudl I be overly eager to have a dialogue with the lawyers who oversee the "personality rights" of athletes or famous golf courses.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bceagles128

Funny that you'd bring that up. I don't practice in IP litigation but I'm actually an attorney and I can't fault Jim brown or NCAA athletes at all for wanting compensation for the use of their likeness. Most sports franchises can sidestep the issue entirely by simply paying the relevant players union for the use of its players' likeness. But Jim Brown is retired so the NFLPA has no absolutely lift to bargain away his likeness. Similarly, NCAA athletes have been shafted for years because federal courts wrongfully denied them collective bargaining rights so there's no way for EA to even obtain a license without negotiating with individual athletes (which would obviously cause eligibility problems).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shindig

I just picked up Golf Club instead. It's half the price. The lack of customization and career mode stinks but I like that they removed all the shitty arcade aspects. I just want golf.

I'm tempted to reinstall it. Its a nice neat thing that offers a more laid back golfing approach. Self improvement rather than outwardly trying to be a golfing God. Plus the caddy narration is still great to hear.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By shivermetimbers

Anyone having trouble putting with arcade controls? I've always had trouble putting in these sorts of games and judging distance, power, and angle of pushing the stick is especially difficult in this game for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.