Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

When invading aliens capture the Saints and imprison their minds in a digital recreation of Steelport, it's up to the Boss (who by now has become the President of the United States) to free Earth from its oppressive new overlords.

I am enjoying this game a whole lot, BUT

• 50 results
    xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xxizzypop

Holy HELL am I getting frustrated with some of the bugs and crashes. I've had to retry from checkpoints due to getting stuck in geometry or scripts not triggering countless times, if not entirely restart the mission, I've been hitting audio glitches out the ass, I've had at least five hard locks, the game locked once in the middle of an autosave and for some reason some of the collectibles are missing and one of Keith David's audio logs will play every time the game loads. Admittedly, that's better than a file corruption, but I'm still a little bothered.

Now I still love this game and I've still sunk over thirty hours in it, but dammit. My love is being tested.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Bug... or feature? ;)

But seriously, I did have a handful of issues - one of which caused me to repeat a chunk of the last main story mission.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bug... or feature? ;)

But seriously, I did have a handful of issues - one of which caused me to repeat a chunk of the last main story mission.

I've ended up having to repeat the entirety of some of the loyalty missions (Asha specifically) and that was one of the most heartbreaking things. Seeing those jokes a second time directly after already hearing them is a major bummer.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GaspoweR

Curious which platform are you playing it on?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator

Asha's loyalty mission is the only place I ran into any scripting errors, and I only had one crash near the very end of the game. Neither of those issues really had an impact on my enjoyment.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

PS3. It's a shame really, it started really strong on a performance side but I'm hitting more and more. I've gotten two hard locks in the past hour during the endgame content.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xxizzypop

@gaspower said:

PS3. It's a shame really, it started really strong on a performance side but I'm hitting more and more. I've gotten two hard locks in the past hour during the endgame content.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By williamhenry

I got stuck on an enemy once and had to reload a mission, which was a bummer. I also have that Keith David audiolog problem. Weird that it plays every time I load the game.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By mustachioeugene

Only issue I had was the early story related acheivements (on Steam) not registering.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I played 30 hours of it on my ps3 , and it was almost bug free . Though the game did freeze a few times .

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@gaspower said:

Crazy, I'm playing (played?) PS3 and had a pretty good experience. In fact, it was so good that I'm damn near done with all of the peripheral challenges at this point.

I do have the Keith David bug. At first I thought they were emphasizing that audio log. But it still plays well after I beat the game, so that's not it. Regardless, that's pretty easy to ignore. The game hard locked on me twice, but that seems to go with the territory of open world games, unfortunately. And twice is still pretty forgivable. Especially with the frequent autosaves. At points I had some audio discrepancies, but I'm not sure if that was actual audio glitches or just bad subtitling (which is kind of common in games nowadays). Oh, I guess I didn't actually get some pre-order costumes that I should have gotten? That problem seems widespread. I'm sure they'll patch that. Okay, so maybe I did have my share of bugs. Most of it was pretty easy to ignore though. And the game seemed way more stable than what the Bombcast crew made the 360 version sound like (though they do tend to hyperbolize the ever living fuck out of console-to-PC differences).

I think I'm a little more forgiving of tech issues though. Unless a game just repeatedly prevents me from continuing (Metro Last Light), I'll be able to work through any rough spots.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxizzypop

@hatking: Two hard locks is forgivable. I'm now on my third in an hour or two, the second time having to retry the same mission in this endgame, and I've had easily 8-10 hard locks throughout my time with it thus far

I had an amazing experience up until these last 5 hours and I don't know if it's from my autosave getting messed up from an earlier hard lock or what, but my last manual save was WAAAAAAAAAAAY too far back for me to be anywhere near excited about having to reload it if that's the case.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GaspoweR

@xxizzypop: ah alright so we can definitely confirm why Jeff took a star off the score for the 360 version due to performance issues. I can imagine why that would definitely screw up wuth your game experience.

I'm playing on the PC version and it is definitely a much smoother experience performance wise. That's really unfortunate though that you and the other duders who are playing the console versions have to put up with performance issues. Im still pretty early in the game though so i might encounter a very system heavy area or set piece that i have yet to reach. Otherwise the game so far has been pretty fuckin' incredible.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks dude, I have been playing on PC and have encountered no issues. I hope they patch out whatever it is that is causing your game to crap out like that. Chin up!

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I had some of those issues on the 360 version.

• Keith David's third audio log playing everytime I first loaded into the game
    • Got stuck in the geometry twice
    • 2 lockups on the hub menu

Nothing too bad, but yeah, they should probably patch that mofo.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I haven't encountered any scripting errors or hard locks yet, though my game has gotten stuck in a loading cycle, which is essentially the same as a hard lock. Lots of audio hitches, as well. Also, a few instances of cars getting stuck in the geometry, including during Asha's loyalty mission where you must drive the car they tell you.

The biggest bug I encountered was when playing co-op, many of the light sources, including all of the street lights and car headlights turned into solid digital blocks (only solid in the sense that you can't see through them, not that you can't walk through them). It only happened to me, not my buddy. When I would use any kind of explosive or fire-based weapon, the charred area would just be covered in giant black blocks. It was really strange and I thought it was part of the game at first. Nope. It didn't go away until I restarted the game.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the audio log bug too on PC, but for me it is basically a random log. So far I have had logs for King, Keith David, Maero, and Tanya play on load.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Capum15

29 hours on the PC version, two crashes, one endless loading screen, and Keith David talking each time the game loads (though I don't count that as a bug). A friend has had a few more bugs than me though. I hope they fix whatever's wrong for people, because this game is fucking incredible but inopportune crashes/locks are the worst.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The technical hitches are a bit of a bummer. I've had literally dozen of freezes in the later half of the game.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

There are quite a few bugs in the game. It's crashed on me at least three times, sometimes the radio stations don't want to change, and I have that bug where the last audio log entry I picked up plays every time I enter the game. Nothing too fancy and funny though.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of my 20-30ish hours of gameplay, I've experienced one crash, two instances of being unable to continue past a post-mission screen because the prompt to continue wouldn't come up, and one instance of being unable to physically continue a mission due to a homie not showing up and acting the part of of the script that had to be executed in order to continue (she had to open a door but she wasn't even in the game world soemhow).

This actually isn't the worst (I lost count of the amount of Fallout 3 and NV bugs I've experienced but I still LOVED those games) so I'm not TOO bummed! Definitely a little inconvenient though!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I've experienced my share of technical jank, too. Hardlocked three times thus far on PS3, and Shaundi's loyalty mission broke for me when it came time to finally kill Veteran Child. The prompt was there and everything, but it didn't respond and there was nothing else I could do besides restart the mission.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jsnyder82

The only bug I've had so far is the audio log big when you first enter the game. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing. I should mention I'm on the PC, though.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@equitasinvictus: Honestly, I had much better experiences with Bethesda games on console than I have with SR4 on console thus far. I mean, when I started the game, Matt Miller's audio track was missing from the first mission and I had to turn off the console and restart so that I could understand what the hell was going on.

It's been a buggy experience but I finally cleared all the story missions. All I have left now is challenges, to which I just keep working on them until I hard lock and say WHELP, I needed a break from weapon kills anyhow and walk away.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yummylee said:

I've experienced my share of technical jank, too. Hardlocked three times thus far on PS3, and Shaundi's loyalty mission broke for me when it came time to finally kill Veteran Child. The prompt was there and everything, but it didn't respond and there was nothing else I could do besides restart the mission.

I had that happen as well, ended up having to go in front of the DJ set despite the body being elsewhere. I almost restarted too but that worked somehow.

Whenever I see enemies with stretched limbs or cars with upside down bodies and wheels floating in the air I applaud them for making a game that makes me question if thats intentional or not.

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am playing the game exclusively in co-op on pc and we both crashed a few times. and for some reason my partner keep getting disconnected in the middle of a mission. we had to redo a mission 3 times because of this it really takes out the fun.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@yummylee said:

Shaundi's loyalty mission broke for me when it came time to finally kill Veteran Child. The prompt was there and everything, but it didn't respond and there was nothing else I could do besides restart the mission.

I had the same problem. He was hanging in mid air besides the turntable. I used stomp and fireballs and he suddenly janked over to be on top of the the turntable and then the button prompt did work.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#28  Edited By TournamentOfHate

@nictel said:

@yummylee said:

Shaundi's loyalty mission broke for me when it came time to finally kill Veteran Child. The prompt was there and everything, but it didn't respond and there was nothing else I could do besides restart the mission.

I had the same problem. He was hanging in mid air besides the turntable. I used stomp and fireballs and he suddenly janked over to be on top of the the turntable and then the button prompt did work.

Had the same problem, I think the prompt works when you're standing in front of the turn table(where he should be), but I think it still works if you're in front of it but he's not? I had to do that part 3 times.

I also get an audio log playing each time I load it up. Actually the most annoying thing that happened was those robots where you have to hit the weak spot on the back of their heads, they would spawn right on top of me, this happened so many times that I think it was intentionaly, but one time it pinned me down into the ground and my dude was just laying there trapped and I had to restart.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#29  Edited By MikeLemmer

I've had the game crash 3-4 times on me, but that might be because I was playing it on a PC for 5+ hours straight.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I played it on PC and I didn't see or notice a single bug apart from that audio log playing every time you start the game.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only bug I've encountered (other than a hard lock, which could just as easily have been something else on my computer) was that once I jumped onto a building's roof, but for whatever reason didn't trigger the character's landing animation. I could still move around on the roof, but I was stuck in the falling animation, hovering about an inch from the ground. The big problem was that since I was still technically jumping/falling, I couldn't jump or fire weapons, so I couldn't get over the 6 inch lip around the building's edge.

I ended up having to reload a saved game : \

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yep, this is true to Saint's Row all right.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Asha's loyalty mission is the only place I ran into any scripting errors, and I only had one crash near the very end of the game. Neither of those issues really had an impact on my enjoyment.

My game crashed one and thats because I picked to do stuff that really was stupid. Spamming Black hole gun then instantly starting super sprint.

Never had any bugs missions where fine.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Quarters

Played on 360, and didn't have too many technical issues. I think I may have had one or two scripting bugs that made me restart a checkpoint(which wasn't a huge deal), but the biggest thing was that me and my coop partner eventually both had to get rid of the 'Merica gun, because it kept playing the music that would go along with it, even when we didn't have it equipped and went into a new mission. Therefore, as the mission would try to play its music, it wouldn't be able to because of the 'Merica music constantly blaring. We would have to reload our saves just to get it to stop. Once we both got rid of the gun, however, it wasn't a problem anymore.

Also, at one point, my brother had the hover glitch where he was constantly floating an inch off the ground and wouldn't land, but I managed to fix that by hurling a car at his face. It snapped him out of it pretty quick.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By MildMolasses

I have that too. What a weird bug.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

Getting a lot of rubberbanding and odd sync issues playing co-op on the PC version. And we're playing over LAN so shouldn't be lag, right?

I've done a little digging and apparently this happened with a decent number of folks in Saints Row: The Third too. Played that one on the 360 though, so wouldn't know.
    Apparently people got around that by playing the game in DX9 but Saints Row IV doesn't appear to have that be an option.

Anyway it's a pretty big bummer. Usually isn't noticable or anything until someone gets into a vehicle. My co-op partner will see me getting hit by cars that are invisible to him.

I see him crashing and driving up buildings but on his screen everything appears normal. It's weird.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By crusader8463

Yep, I had some of those issues on the 360 version.

I thought that was just me since it seems like such a weird specific bug, but everytime I load the game I have to listen to Keith Davids Third Audio log too. It's very annoying. I had to do a complete crash to desktop several times and it was always when I was like 1-2 min from finishing very long missions. Which always ruined the experience when you had to play through it again and you had to hear the same dumb jokes again.

The bug that annoyed me the most however, was that my characters makeup would never stay on when she would leave the VI world and go into the real world. The way I had her features designed she just looks hideous without the makeup on, but with it on it looks just right. Along the same lines, I put on some tattoos on a whim and now every time I visit an image as designed store to tweak something they all come back and I then have to go to a tattoo place to have them removed again.

It's rather obvious this game was rushed out the door to try and ride the coattails of the last game. I hope they take their time with five and make it a proper game. I would hate to see this become an annualized series they just start crapping out until we all hate it.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Nictel
    alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I finished the game last night and had planned on doing some collecting and challenges this morning, but a Steam patch overnight messed up weapon availability so I don't have the weapons I need to do said challenges. Hopefully the turnaround time on a fix isn't too long.

Avatar image for deactivated-63da6af5022c5
    deactivated-63da6af5022c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I had my fair share of annoying bugs and some that had me reset the mission. One of the most worst was during the final missions. [SPOILER (?)]

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@mildmolasses said:

@vorpalparasite said:

I have that too. What a weird bug.

Same problem here. It's pretty harmless, but it does seem to be an almost universal bug.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By Yummylee

Goddamnit, and there's my fourth lockup >=/ I have to imagine it's because the console itself just can't handle the amount of insanity that pervades across so much of the game now...

Man, this game is so close to reaching 5-star status, too. If only I could play the PC version, as all of those extra frames would have no doubt pushed it over the edge. Otherwise it's still a bloody stellar game.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keith David loves talking to me <3

Just had my first lockup, but oh god what caused it was awesome and worth it

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Whenever I see enemies with stretched limbs or cars with upside down bodies and wheels floating in the air I applaud them for making a game that makes me question if thats intentional or not.

Yeah - is it? I played a whole mission where there were cars which were just wheels and base. Or they were upside down but with a set of wheels on the roof as well and all the enemies were glitching and vanishing or bugging out. I assumed it was some 'joke' about the simulation failing, but they didn't seem to mention it so I wasn't sure.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Yeah - is it? I played a whole mission where there were cars which were just wheels and base. Or they were upside down but with a set of wheels on the roof as well and all the enemies were glitching and vanishing or bugging out. I assumed it was some 'joke' about the simulation failing, but they didn't seem to mention it so I wasn't sure.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@leebmx said:

@humanity said:

I've heard several people mention likewise occurrences so I'm pretty sure it's intentional. On average I'll see random pedestrians with big heads and whatnot now that I'm nearing the end of the game.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Capum15
    @leebmx said:

@humanity said:

It is. You can see more localized versions around the Rifts. When pedestrians walk by them, they get all bugged out (huge eyes, hyper stretchy limbs, upside-down walking, spread-eagle stiff gliding, etc), but then go normal after they leave the radius. Cars get all sparky in it too.

Although I don't know if the glitched out waves of enemies in some activities are tied to the specific activity, or if they just happen to, well, happen, near a rift. Either way it's intentional.

Edit: Oh god, those rolling robot turret things kept spawning on me during one of the story missions. They all spawned in a way where I had to just Dubstep Gun around them and hope that they would die eventually.

Somewhat spoilery:

The mission where you have to climb up to a roof without powers after an ambush. One knocked me off the top of some stairs, making me fall all the way to the ground. The second knocked me off the second set of stairs, about 2/3rds up, the third blocked me about halfway up, and the fourth managed to just completely block the top of the second set of stairs.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By GunstarRed

Having almost no fun with the PS3 version at this point with over thirty lock ups. I can't even finish the final mission due to it locking up in the CID section every single time. It makes me not want to even try again now that every single time I have to do the on rails section and boring defend bullshit again. I'm in total agreement with Brad about the console version, the way this PS3 version plays with shit framerate audio bugs and missing textures is unacceptable.

The game is ok at best, I think it features some really fucking lazy writing and some of the most godawful mission design that seems to be wrapped up in this crazy wrapper. I just don't feel compelled to finish this now it seems to be completely broken for me.

Now reading some of the problems posted above me I'm surprised to see the exact same happened to me like getting pinned to the ground and the Veteran Child mission being broken.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.