Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 29, 1999

An action-adventure game set in 1980s Japan that follows one young man's journey to avenge his father's murder. It was praised for its ambitious scope and pioneered several gameplay features such as realistic open-world environments and Quick Time Events.

Can someone please explain this to me

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 37

#1  Edited By Jazz

With the recent news that we're going to get Dreamcast games on our current consoles, there seems to have been a massive outpouring of love for Shenmue. 
    Why? 
    Sure, at the time it was an interesting development in gaming...but the game itself was..hmm, how to put this tactfully, niche to say the least. 
    Now everyone is clamouring to have the game arrive on xbl/psn. 
    How many have actually played the game. I got so bored after 4 hours on Shenmue 2 I gave up. 
    If people so desire to play Shenmue..why the hell don't they just buy Yakuza 3? Its better in every single way. 
    Is this nostalgia on overload, or am I missing something...or do people really love that forklift minigame?

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Kiemoe

I think Shenmue was such a big deal when it came out, that it deserves to be experienced. Most of the people asking for a port probably didn't have the chance to experience it and don't want to go out and buy a Dreamcast (DO IT!!)

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jazz
    @Kiemoe said:
    " I think Shenmue was such a big deal when it came out, that it deserves to be experienced. Most of the people asking for a port probably didn't have the chance to experience it and don't want to go out and buy a Dreamcast (DO IT!!) "
    While i agree with the sentiment, its going to be a seriously rude awakening for many of those people. 
    It does not stand up nowadays..it really doesn't. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Jazz said:
    " How many have actually played the game. I got so bored after 4 hours on Shenmue 2 I gave up. If people so desire to play Shenmue..why the hell don't they just buy Yakuza 3? Its better in every single way.  "
    I've played right through both of them numerous times.
    And none of the Yakuza games come close at all.
    Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Swaboo

The combat in Shenmue was a lot better than what they did with Yakuza. From what I remember anyway... Thoroughly enjoyed both Shemnue games when they came out. The voice acting is very bad playing it now but it was pretty cooh back then.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

Shenmue is only somewhat niche, it definitely has a fair fan following.

There are a few things I preferred in Shenmue over Yakuza.  In Shenmue you could interact more with the environment, lots of drawers to open and look at stuff.  Shenmue also had less combat and the QTEs were really well designed (lots of branching and no single miss fails, like Heavy Rain).

Shenmue was a little bit more of an adventure game.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jazz
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Jazz said:
    " How many have actually played the game. I got so bored after 4 hours on Shenmue 2 I gave up. If people so desire to play Shenmue..why the hell don't they just buy Yakuza 3? Its better in every single way.  "
    I've played right through both of them numerous times. And none of the Yakuza games come close at all. "
    I Disagree strongly, but care to explain why?  
    and seriously..saying the Shenmue storyline is better than Yakuza's is...just mind boggling to me.
    @Swaboo said:
    " The combat in Shenmue was a lot better than what they did with Yakuza. From what I remember anyway... Thoroughly enjoyed both Shemnue games when they came out. The voice acting is very bad playing it now but it was pretty cooh back then. "
    I realise that it was awesome back then. Don't deny that...but now? 

My reason for asking this was mostly that I believe a good 70% of people asking for Shenmue because its 'soo awesome' have never actually played Shenmue. 
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Mourne
    @Jazz said:

"If people so desire to play Shenmue..why the hell don't they just buy Yakuza 3? Its better in every single way.

...Outside of the story, the gameplay, the production value, the attention to detail, and that Shenmue came from Sega's Quality Gaming era. Yakuza? None of that, and came out now... when Sega is producing rubbish. Absolute rubbish. Shenmue was one of the first great cinematic games that was far ahead of its time in many respects. The world it presented was immersive, and many of the gameplay elements it brought on, such as interactive QTEs integrated with cut-scenes, have become a staple in far more games than it ought to (it still has never been done better than it was in Shenmue).

(I originally only glanced at your avatar and instantly linked in my mind that it was from Hellsing, and criticized your choice in anime as being reflective of what you look for in games; but even worse, it's from G-Gundam, which is far, far worse)
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jazz
    @Mourne said:

" @Jazz said:

"If people so desire to play Shenmue..why the hell don't they just buy Yakuza 3? Its better in every single way.

...Outside of the story, the gameplay, the production value, the attention to detail, and that Shenmue came from Sega's Quality Gaming era. Yakuza? None of that, and came out now... when Sega is producing rubbish. Absolute rubbish. Shenmue was one of the first great cinematic games that was far ahead of its time in many respects. The world it presented was immersive, and many of the gameplay elements it brought on, such as interactive QTEs integrated with cut-scenes, have become a staple in far more games than it ought to (it still has never been done better than it was in Shenmue). "
    Okay, fair enough as opinion. 
    I asked to get a different opinion. I don't agree with any of that. Especially Sega producing rubbish..have you played Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles or Resonance of Fate? 
    Again, it may be the first, but that does not make it the best representation of that type of game.  

Diamond put it best as saying its closer to an adventure game than Yakuza which is closer to an RPG. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Shenmue...though I personally didn't like it, I'm sure those who actually played it and loved it have good reason for doing so.

This is coming from someone who has played both games and just doesn't understand beyond seriously tinted nostalgia glasses what Shenmue could bring to gamers now? 

edit: nice edit..have you even played Yakuza beyond the demo or seeing the Quick look? 
    Also, not hellsing.     
    Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Swaboo
    @Jazz said:
    I realise that it was awesome back then. Don't deny that...but now?  My reason for asking this was mostly that I believe a good 70% of people asking for Shenmue because its 'soo awesome' have never actually played Shenmue.  "
    Oh they did play it and it was awesome. It's not as awesome if you play it right now, though but if they'd release it, a lot of people would buy it and still enjoy it. Personally I enjoyed the hell out of it when it came out but I would not buy it again.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Mourne
    @Jazz said:
    "Okay, fair enough as opinion. I asked to get a different opinion. I don't agree with any of that. Especially Sega producing rubbish..have you played Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles or Resonance of Fate? Again, it may be the first, but that does not make it the best representation of that type of game.  Diamond put it best as saying its closer to an adventure game than Yakuza which is closer to an RPG. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Shenmue...though I personally didn't like it, I'm sure those who actually played it and loved it have good reason for doing so.This is coming from someone who has played both games and just doesn't understand beyond seriously tinted nostalgia glasses what Shenmue could bring to gamers now? edit: nice edit..have you even played Yakuza beyond the demo or seeing the Quick look? Also, not hellsing.      "
    Resonance of Fate was developed by Tri-ace; it's not a Sega game outside of publishing (given Tri-ace's reputation, they could get anyone to publish it). Bayonetta was not strictly a Sega game, either; it was financed with some production overhead by Sega, but Platinum is independent. I have played all of these games, and Valkyria Chronicles is at least passable--it's a godsend for PS3 owners, but it didn't do much for me. It was a tad too monotous for its own good, and was actually better than the ever-disappointing FF13 in some respects, so at least it has that.

More on-point, however: Yakuza is developed and published by Sega. If you haven't noticed by now, they are really pumping out the same game over and over and over. I recently played Yakuza 3 and can't say I was disappointed because--after playing through the first entirely and skipping the second--I had little reason to expect a new experience. Yakuza 4 will be the same as 3, as this is how Sega is operating these days.

You may be too young to understand the initial impact of Shenmue and that's fine. It is still a genuinely engaging experience with much more on-offer than Yakuza and is point-by-point a better series. I recently introduced Shenmue to my younger brother, who is a gamer that's basically a product of the newest gaming generation. He enjoyed it tremendously and was surprised a game released so long ago on the Dreamcast could exhibit so much depth. My only real regret with Shenmue is that we never got a third title, and given what Sega is churning out of their home-developed titles these days, I don't want it until they get their act together.

If Sega is going to continue making in-house Sonic and Phantasy Star games that are this bad, then you can count me out. I'm not even saying Yakuza is that bad--it's not nearly as DOA as-is the latest Sonic output, but it isn't golden, either.

I would only ask you give Shenmue a better shot, without comparing it to any other series because, in all fairness, it really can't be. It is one of the few games that did so much it has yet to be emulated in full.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jazz
    @Mourne:  
    I'm 26. I was there first time round thanks. I played it before Yakuza came out, so as a comparison it was made in hindsight.
    While I accept that Sega didn't do the inhouse work on the games I listed, all you said was produced. I gave a list of good games tied to the Sega name.  
    Its obvious we have COMPLETELY different interests in gaming. Which is cool. I totally understand your argument as to how revolutionary the game was at the time, but I still don't think it stands up today. If they made a Shenmue game now incorporating bits from the original and Yakuza (which you cannot deny is its spiritual successor) then I might be interested...but probably not.  For me Yakuza is as much about the story as it is about anything else. Sure its clumsy at times, but there is nothing wrong with the combat in the game.  Its funny. I get Yakuza, but for the life of me..at the time Shenmue really did nothing for me. 
    I'm also puzzled as to your problem with modern Phantasy Star games. I Haven't played the 360/ps2 ones, but the PSP and DS games aren't bad at all. I tried to play the gamecube version for a couple of years ago and gave up in about 20 mins. It was horrible. Yes it brought online MMOs to the console, but it controlled like crap. 

I also believe that most people who want to have the game on psn/xbl never played the game and are just saying its cool because...everyone else does.  
    How many people do you hear crying for Skies of Arcadia or Ikaruga?

As for G-Gundam. I can imagine in English it's probably god awful..but I haven't seen it in English. Much like many people have with Shenmue I have a history with the series.  I can see how its not your thing, but you read waaay too much into that. My gaming choice is totally different to stuff I watched when i was a kid. Until recently my avatar was Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks...so, have fun reading into that. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.