Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shift 2: Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 29, 2011

The sequel to the 2009 racer Need for Speed: Shift. Shift 2 features improved graphics, a new campaign mode and the addition of the Autolog system as featured in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

This game is AMAZING

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

Seriously it's my new favourite racing game.  Driving from the helmet cam is super immersive and gives an incredible sense of speed.  At first it was very hard to judge corners because the driver looks toward the apex, so just aiming the center of your screen at the apex doesn't really work because while you may be looking directly at the corner, your car might be slightly off and you'll feel like you took the turn way too wide.  Once I got used to paying attention to the cars direction, and got a sense of how the helmet cam works, then I could really enjoy it.  The cockpit of the car will blur out as you're taking a corner or hitting high speed because, just like in real life, you are focused on the road.  The physics are fantastic.  I'm driving with zero assists and manual transmission (with clutch pedal and stick) and it feels great.  I went full speed off a steep hump in the road, and I got air, then the car actually nosed into the ground and spun into the wall.  In the replay it looks very realistic, unlike other racing games where the cars feel like bumper cars that bounce off things and never really roll or carry momentum properly in a crash.  The helmet cam really adds to it as well because your view gets pulled by the g-forces and then knocked around in a crash.  The lighting looks really good too, and it'll even shine on the corners of your helmet which is a nice touch.  At night you are driving with your headlights, barely able to see what's coming, and damn does it look impressive, and also really scary. 

This game is just so different than the standard racing sims out there, just to see it in action is impressive, and the feel of the driving is spot on.  I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes driving fast.  And just remember, the helmet cam is really disorienting at first (it was pissing me off and causing me to miss turns completely), but once you learn to drive with it, you'll LOVE it.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b

2009 Dirt 2 was my game of the year with SHIFT an honourable mention, by the sounds of it this should be up there as well, how is the framerate? and is that stupid RPG points system still in there?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By buzz_clik

I actually enjoyed the original Shift quite a lot, despite how dry an experience it could feel. I'm really keen to see how the new one goes, so it's encouraging to hear all this good stuff.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

Getting this tomorrow, really excited!

If you had told me back in 09 that I would be playing non Forza racing games I would have called you insane, but with Hot Pursuit, Shift 2 and Dirt 3 all coming out....good times for racing games.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BasketSnake

They got the framerate right this time. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Red12b said:
    "  

2009 Dirt 2 was my game of the year with SHIFT an honourable mention, by the sounds of it this should be up there as well, how is the framerate? and is that stupid RPG points system still in there?

"
    I'm playing on the PC so no frame rate issues here at max graphics.  The XP points are still here, but they don't do the stuff like in the first Shift where it was about driving aggressively or cleanly.  I don't think having XP and unlocks to look forward to is stupid because it's done well here.  A track will have a set of objectives, like master all corners, do one clean lap, and lead for an entire lap.  Completing these objectives gives you XP, and when you level up you get a chunk of bonus cash, and unlock stuff to customize your car with.  It's just kind of cool because you can see the map of the track with green check marks on the corners you've mastered, and gray X's on the corners you haven't, so it gives incentive to go back and master those corners.  
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By xMP44x

I actually rather enjoyed the original SHIFT. I wonder if there's a demo for SHIFT 2: Unleashed on the Marketplace? It seems like a game I could really enjoy trying out.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

The behind the helmet camera stuff is fantastic, and the rest of the game just feels really good to play. 

Recommended.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

I'm enjoying it a lot as well.  Haven't played GT5 in awhile so I wanted another racer.  This game scratches that itch.  I also love the immersion of the helmet cam and, as you mentioned, the feeling of g-forces.  Seriously the most innovative thing in a racer in a while.  I'm just using a controller but the way they made it really feels like you are feeling the g-force when you slam on your breaks.  It's nice.  I got last place the first couple of races and now I'm getting the hang of it.  Took a bit to get use to having the driver focus in on turns.

sneaky77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By sneaky77

Iam really enjoying it, although I had to turn helmet cam off, in the very tight tracks, like Shanghai it was too disorienting, I have the regular cockpit view now and it works for me. So far the worse I have encountered is the level 2 race with the Lotus lol. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Does the PC or PS3 version support the G27 and does it have the GT-R?   

If it does on both, I will check it out.  

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @KaosAngel said:

" Does the PC or PS3 version support the G27 and does it have the GT-R?    If it does on both, I will check it out.   "

Pretty sure it does on both counts. The Nissan GTR is on the boxart.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

" Does the PC or PS3 version support the G27 and does it have the GT-R?    If it does on both, I will check it out.   "

Pretty sure it does on both counts. The Nissan GTR is on the boxart. "
    Sweet, picking up on Amazon now.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Red12b
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Sweet, picking up on Amazon now. "
    it's very arcady too much for my liking
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Red12b said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

it's very arcady too much for my liking "
    As arcade-y as Shift 1, or more realistic than Shift 1?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

For some reason I miss the rewind button. Nothing like getting bumped into and losing control on the 10th lap. But otherwise it's awesome, the helmet cam takes some getting used to but at this point I can only play in that view. The Faster cars require ABSOLUTE control and precision on your part and drift events are a bitch until you finally beat stupid goatee guy and jack his car. 

Anyone know how the online is?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CaLe: What higher class car are you talking about?  Cars like the GT-R and German cars are supposed to handle really well in real life.  If you're talking about Italian cars doing crazy sharp turns and whatnot, then I can understand as they control like shit in real life too.  If the German cars are too hard to handle then that's kinda fucked up.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @blacklabeldomm: Serious question, I never understood the need to rewind in a driving sim.  I never used it in SHIFT and thought it was silly as hell for a driving sim.  I don't understand why some driving sims put that in there.  As for the faster cars, you talking about German cars or the Italian ones?
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Red12b
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @Red12b said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

it's very arcady too much for my liking "
    As arcade-y as Shift 1, or more realistic than Shift 1? "
    I liked shift 1, I dislike this game, the helmet cam shouldn't move imo, I wish that the same sort of cam as last game was in here, same as the deel of the last game, I just didn't like the glitchy nature of the last game or the stupid rpg elements to it 

I also think EA is doing a real scummy thing by not allowing some sort of mode where you can try out higher cars and insisting you should buy them with "PSN Money" fuck off with hat shit.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Red12b said:
      I also think EA is doing a real scummy thing by not allowing some sort of mode where you can try out higher cars and insisting you should buy them with "PSN Money" fuck off with hat shit. "
    Wow, that's really pathetic.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @KaosAngel:  It's a neat innovation that has no reason not to be in there, it's not vital to the game but it can be extremely useful. 

As for the cars, I got the Pagani Zonda from playing Hot Pursuit and that thing is a beast. I have yet to try the German cars.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Red12b
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @Red12b said:
      I also think EA is doing a real scummy thing by not allowing some sort of mode where you can try out higher cars and insisting you should buy them with "PSN Money" fuck off with hat shit. "
    Wow, that's really pathetic. "
    yeah, it's pretty shitty
    Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tsoglani
    @Red12b said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    " @Red12b said:
    Wow, that's really pathetic. "
    yeah, it's pretty shitty "
    100% agree: that sort of scam is disgusting.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Skald

Although I'm enjoying myself, the AI can be incredibly frustrating. Just the other day on Ebisu, the bots were literally ramming my car off the road. I don't understand if they're supposed to be intentionally rough, or if they're just bad at narrow courses, but holy damn does it get on my nerves. 

Does anybody else find the AI to be a bit bothersome?

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BasketSnake

When I tried using my DFGT the game wouldn't recognize it so I'll have to wait for a patch. I tried everything form unplugging and replugging cords to setting options. Nothing. I read about similar problems on other forums.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So been playing some Shift 2..

There is something seriously fucked up happening with the brakes in this game. I can be braking as you would expect in to a corner, slowing down at the correct pace, and then all of a sudden I'm barely fucking moving. Extremely frustrating. Someone on another forum mentioned they brake early and coast in to a corner, which I am now doing and it is a bit more manageable. 

The input lag on the PC is absolutely atrocious. (No, it's not just me)

Some cars are just straight up busted. I can barely even drive the Lotus Exige in a fucking straight line. My old M3 on the other hand is a pleasure to drive, and I'm completely destroying the Classic C races with it at the moment. Even the brakes seem to act a little more normal with it.

I've given up on the drifting events. The combination of input lag, and straight up weird drifting physics make it near impossible for me to do anything worthwhile.

Something cool I've noticed is that there seems to be rubber build up off-line. The marbles don't seem to actually affect handling in any meaningful way, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. You see little bits flying off the tyres off the start line, and you can hear it banging around under your car too.     

AI is a bit shit, especially on the road courses. Banging in to me all the time like motherfuckers. 

In general the game looks and sounds excellent, and for the most part I am enjoying myself. Awesome track selection. The physics are way too floaty and messed up to call it a sim though. (Yes, I'm playing with all assists off, manual gearbox etc)

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By andymp

No doubt about it, I love this game. This, Hot Pursuit, Dirt 2... this is an awesome time for racing games, not forgetting Forza and GT. 

And to the person who said the helmet cam shouldn't move, it's not like there aren't plenty of other viewpoints to play from. I like the helmet cam but I don't use it for my competitive races. I tend to do the race from my preferred behind_the_car viewpoint and then once I have a good time down I'll try the helmet cam. Lots to like about this game.
    randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By randiolo

im sorry but i found this game to be kinda bad, the driving physics is soo dam squirmy, and the drifting was impossible.. and it just didnt look very good.. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.