Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

What endgame stuff to get in order to beat Nyx in P3 FES

asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By asmo29a

Hey guys, 

so I tried for about 10h now to beat Nyx and always get my ass handed to me just a few rounds before the end when his/her/its Night Queen phase. Normal first playthrough, Party (MC, Yukari, Mitsuru, Akihiko) is at ~77. So far I completely ignored the "heart items", the weapon fusions and the quadruple etc. fusions, because it's much more of a hassle to mess with that stuff than in P4 and, quite frankly, I didn't need any of it to breeze through the rest of the game. But now here I stand and just can't get past that stupid boss. 

So, are there any special weapons, personas, items etc. that I should specifically go for for this last encounter? I read about killing the Reaper, but I've got no clue what that is actually about. I'll probably load my save from 01/01, replay the last month and grind the hell out of it instead of just rushing to the top of Tartarus; any guidance on what to concentrate on would be greatly appreciated. 
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Higher Levels? I beat Nyx in about 5 minutes, most of that was taken up watching the cutscenes in between each form.

If you're having trouble try to unlock Monad, you have to defeat Death in FES though to get access to it. The dungeon has some powerful enemies but you gain levels at a ridiculous rate.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Kill the reaper and get its button,it unlocks a area where you can get TONS of xp,you could get to level 90 in no time.
    Edit:reading the whole thing,seems like you would need  Abaddon's heart item,It nulls every status alliment cept for poison.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Checking the list,seems like Alilat,Abaddon,Chi you and Messiah have items that will help you out the most.
    Although Messiah is a bit out of your reach atm

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

In case you wasn't aware, to get the mission to defeat death you have to get the request from Elizabeth. You could still beat Death without doing that but you won't get the bloody pin afterwards, which like has been said is how you unlock the door to Monad.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By stubbleman

It doesn't seem like you need that many more levels. It also seems to me like beating the reaper aught to be harder for you than beating nix right now. I agree on going into the extra dungeon. At least being over leveled should solve your problems. Is the bonus dungeon open to you right now? If so, you should abuse the living hell out of it. Just get saved before you go in and keep trying until you beat an enemy encounter. There is an enemy type there that is weak to physical. That's the one you want to fight the first several times as, even at your current level, you can whoop up on them pretty quick. Even the weakest enemy encounters give ridiculous xp, which means abusing saves will get at least your main character up to 99 pretty fast. That way you won't have to grind as much or as long. Grinding monad is a two pronged advantage to you. Not only don you gain levels but you also pick up badass personas which will land you some pretty rough attacks to use on old Nyx. Good luck and happy grinding.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @somnambulist:  If he is at Nyx, the door should have appeared by now. It is there whether you can access Monad or not.

I think gaining some levels could be the solution, Nyx isn't really that hard if you are at the right level. If anything I'd say Death is probably harder, but there are ways around that, Thunder reign for example.
    asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By asmo29a
    @WatanabeKazuma:  Ah, so that's that Monad thing I read about but wasn't quite clear what it meant, thanks :) that should be a big help; I'll try to find out how exactly to unlock  that thing. I need about 70 minutes to get to Nyx' last phase, btw ;)

Making the MC immune to various ailments wouldn't cut it for me because MC alone isn't strong enough to finish Nyx and just ends up having to heal every turn, while there's still plenty of opportunity for party members to fuck everything up (like other charmed party members 100%-healing Nyx or dmging/killing the MC, for example). 

I don't have any of the mentioned personas, so that would be a nice save/reload and lvl grind to get any of those items.. we'll see.

Thanks for all the great advice! It's not that I find Nyx too hard in and of itself, it just took me completely off guard because it's no comparison at all to the rest of the game.
    asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By asmo29a

Ok from what I've found it's just like Lemoncookie01 mentioned; defeating the Reaper for Request #53 seems to be a prerequisite for the extra dungeon in FES. Guess it's time to go back to 01/01 and grind more lvls in normal Tartarus.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stubbleman
    @WatanabeKazuma:

Yeah. Now this has got ME all confused with all the different versions. So Monad is in fact not the area with Elizabeth and the boss battles. Evidently you have to beat the reaper to unlock Monad in fes? Or is it like you said, where the final days opens it like in p3p? If not, then Odin and thunder reign are definitely the way to go for that like you said. I know there are other ways but that seems like the best, especially starting out. I would say beating the reaper is worth it for the xp available in Monad.

For OP, what you want to do for that is fuse Odin and level him to 65, at which point he will learn thunder reign. It does severe thunder damage and it will stun the reaper, letting you do an all out attack. Even with Odin, and whatever levels you've picked up to this point, he will be tough. A lot of it is luck however. Some people insist that you should run away if the order of battle isn't basically you, team mate, team mate, reaper, Akihiko, but you might just want to play it by ear and see how you do. You do at least want to run if your turn comes right before reapers because that completely defeats the point. With patience, you'll eventually get him. Then you can go to the bonus dungeon and level up there.
    asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By asmo29a
    @somnambulist: Okay, sounds like a plan. Even though I wanted to be the fuck done with this game about a week ago, but that doesn't seem to be an option.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @somnambulist said:
    " @WatanabeKazuma: Yeah. Now this has got ME all confused with all the different versions. So Monad is in fact not the area with Elizabeth and the boss battles. Evidently you have to beat the reaper to unlock Monad in fes? Or is it like you said, where the final days opens it like in p3p? If not, then Odin and thunder reign are definitely the way to go for that like you said. I know there are other ways but that seems like the best, especially starting out. I would say beating the reaper is worth it for the xp available in Monad.For OP, what you want to do for that is fuse Odin and level him to 65, at which point he will learn thunder reign. It does severe thunder damage and it will stun the reaper, letting you do an all out attack. Even with Odin, and whatever levels you've picked up to this point, he will be tough. A lot of it is luck however. Some people insist that you should run away if the order of battle isn't basically you, team mate, team mate, reaper, Akihiko, but you might just want to play it by ear and see how you do. You do at least want to run if your turn comes right before reapers because that completely defeats the point. With patience, you'll eventually get him. Then you can go to the bonus dungeon and level up there. "
    In FES you have to beat the Reaper, the door appears but you need the pin that it drops. I remember it well as it wasn't to long ago I did it myself.
    stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stubbleman
    @asmo29a:

Yeah. That's Persona for you. Unfortunately, it's one of those games that you almost have to follow along with a guide to play successfully. But once you've been through it once you know what to expect going through it again.
    stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By stubbleman
    @WatanabeKazuma:

Ahh. That's a raw deal. I remember in portable, I used Monad as a tool to prep for beating the reaper since they messed with how all of that unlocks.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mutha3
    @somnambulist said:

" @asmo29a: Yeah. That's Persona for you. Unfortunately, it's one of those games that you almost have to follow along with a guide to play successfully.  "

I'd say playing Persona 3/4 with a guide is a sure-fire way to ruin the games for yourself.

@somnambulist said:
    " @WatanabeKazuma: Ahh. That's a raw deal. I remember in portable, I used Monad as a tool to prep for beating the reaper since they messed with how all of that unlocks. "

Actually, no Monad unlocks in P3P the same way it does in fes. You must be thinking of the vision quest.

Only in the original P3 did Monad unlock by itself.
    asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By asmo29a

I got through P4 without guides just fine, then with my understanding of how to manage SLinks etc. new game+ed it on hard and got all the bonus stuff, all SLinks maxed out etc. So when I started P3 I went "hey, I know how this works, I'll just start on hard right away". Got killed in the very first tutorial encounter because the fucking shadow landed a crit, after one and a half hours of intro cut scenes and dialogue without a single save point. Restarted and managed to get through about 12 hours of it till I resigned and startet again on normal, and pretty much breezed through the whole game from that point on. Until Nyx..

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

find out how to get the heart items that null your party's weaknesses then it's a piece of cake

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stubbleman
    @mutha3:

I know I did Monad before I beat the reaper though. It probably unlocks on the new game plus and that's how I did it.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cloudenvy
    @hedfone said:
    " find out how to get the heart items that null your party's weaknesses then it's a piece of cake "

This, I didn't have much trouble.

I actually went in with a Thor with full stats just for fun.
    asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By asmo29a
    @somnambulist said:

" @mutha3: I know I did Monad before I beat the reaper though. It probably unlocks on the new game plus and that's how I did it. "

I think you take all items with you in a new game+. Since that includes the Blood Pin or whatever you need to unlock the door, that's most likely what did it.

Nulling my party's weaknesses won't do me much good, that isn't what kills me. What gets me everytime in the end is some combination of fear/rage/charm/distress and the constant onslaught of almighty damage. The only thing that would really help at that point without more lvls/personas would be ailment immunity for the whole party. Or at least two. 
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cloudenvy
    @asmo29a said:
    " @somnambulist said:

" @mutha3: I know I did Monad before I beat the reaper though. It probably unlocks on the new game plus and that's how I did it. "

I think you take all items with you in a new game+. Since that includes the Blood Pin or whatever you need to unlock the door, that's most likely what did it.

Nulling my party's weaknesses won't do me much good, that isn't what kills me. What gets me everytime in the end is some combination of fear/rage/charm/distress and the constant onslaught of almighty damage. The only thing that would really help at that point without more lvls/personas would be ailment immunity for the whole party. Or at least two.  "
    You can try and fuse Gabriel, he has a Null Charm spell....I think.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asmo29a said: 

Nulling my party's weaknesses won't do me much good, that isn't what kills me. What gets me everytime in the end is some combination of fear/rage/charm/distress and the constant onslaught of almighty damage. The only thing that would really help at that point without more lvls/personas would be ailment immunity for the whole party. Or at least two.  "

The items that null stat effects are heart items from certain Persona ... if I recall it's Abaddon which nulls everything, and  Narcissus has one which will null just Charm, but that's probably where the biggest problem is coming from. If you don't know, that's when you fuse a Persona and they have a little gem-like heart on their stat screen page thing ... then you have to level them up a certain amount and you'll get a item from them.To get multiple items you register the Persona with the heart item just before they are about to give it up, then discard the card when they do and pull the registered card back out of the compendium. 

Also some Personas have null abilities they can learn I think. 

But as most people have said, just getting in Monad will pretty much sort you right out - you gain levels at an astonishing rate in there it's pretty insane, so don't think you'll have to grind too much if you get it open (if you're worried about time constraints.) But honestly, you should be fine at your current level to finish the game if you can get those status effects sorted. But extra levels never hurt. Good luck ... don't give up, best ending ever. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also there's some pretty good items in Monad. 

Also also, if you've got a Persona you really like, remember you can boost their stats with the items Cup / Sword / whatever of Kings / Queens etc which I had a bunch of at the end because I never used them earlier, or you can exchange for them at the weapon fusion shop. Also can raise stats at the arcade machines in the mall if you've got an evening free. Remember it's a Persona's stats and abilities which make it good, not its level. 
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ventilaator

STEP 1:
    Buy Persona 3 Portable instead

STEP 2:
    Have control over your entire party

STEP 3:
    Win

That's how I did it anyway :(

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karkarov

Actually your only real mistake is you clearly didn't use the time in the game effectively.  You should have leveled up constantly throughout the game and been clearing new area's in like 1-2 nights then farming them fairly well.  When I got to end game I easily could beat the reaper without doing any grinding, could handle the extra dungeon fine immediately, and trust me, my main character did solo nyx.  The weapons you get in the extra dungeon don't hurt either, they are the best in the game by a mile.  Also work more on your persona fuses, don't accept crappy results and keep redoing until you get what you want. 

@somnambulist
    No you don't get to keep all items, you only get to keep non plot items and the gear equipped on your main character.  Anything you had on your party is poof as well as the pin.  Of course you get to keep the real bonus, the courage etc ranks and your persona list.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Ventilaator: P3 FES is better than P3P so that's a pretty lame way to do it.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thehexeditor

Ahh I remember when I fought Nyx. It was the summer of last year.. I was on my bed, eyes glued to the PSP I had been holding for many hours. It was a grueling experience.

Good luck! :|

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Man, I must be extremely lucky because I managed to beat Nyx on my 2nd try without using any special personas or items.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By ventilaator
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Ventilaator: P3 FES is better than P3P so that's a pretty lame way to do it. "
    Totally agree, but I seriously could not beat Nyx even after my 50th try on the PS2 version, and did it on my first without any trouble at all on the PSP version. All because of direct character control.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cloudenvy
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Ventilaator: P3 FES is better than P3P so that's a pretty lame way to do it. "
    Totally agree, but I seriously could not beat Nyx even after my 50th try on the PS2 version, and did it on my first without any trouble at all on the PSP version. All because of direct character control. "
    Not being able to control your party in Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES is indeed a big fat bummer.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Cloudenvy said:
    " Not being able to control your party in Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES is indeed a big fat bummer. "
    I really didn't have trouble with not controlling your party directly in FES. Outside of the occasional unwanted Marin Karin, the leader commands served me pretty well. Not to brag, but it really just took me 3 times to beat Nyx and I wasn't following a guide or anything. The battle just required more strategy than most in the game. I do recognize the advantages that direct control bring, though.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By IBurningStar
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " Man, I must be extremely lucky because I managed to beat Nyx on my 2nd try without using any special personas or items. "
    Nah, that is just skill. I did the same thing.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cloudenvy
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Cloudenvy said:
    " Not being able to control your party in Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES is indeed a big fat bummer. "
    I really didn't have trouble with not controlling your party directly in FES. Outside of the occasional unwanted Marin Karin, the leader commands served me pretty well. Not to brag, but it really just took me 3 times to beat Nyx and I wasn't following a guide or anything. The battle just required more strategy than most in the game. I do recognize the advantages that direct control bring, though. "
    I experienced a good handful of Wind Breaks from Yukari as well, sadly.
    asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By asmo29a
    @Karkarov said:
    " Actually your only real mistake is you clearly didn't use the time in the game effectively.  You should have leveled up constantly throughout the game and been clearing new area's in like 1-2 nights then farming them fairly well.  When I got to end game I easily could beat the reaper without doing any grinding, could handle the extra dungeon fine immediately, and trust me, my main character did solo nyx. 
    Yeah well as I mentioned earlier, I did all that in P4, but in P3 I didn't mess much with any of that because a) I didn't need to because it was stupid easy up to the very last boss fight and b) it was just less fun because of the AI Party and the crappy interface; so I ended up rushing through every new Tartarus section in 1-2 visits/month and then spending evenings only on stats/Koromaru walks or just sleeping. Also,  with full party control I'd probably have killed Nyx on the first or second try, even with my crap party and personas, but whatever :)

Btw, I know there's a bad and a good ending depending on how you decide on December, 31st. Is the "good ending" path divided as well like it was in P4 where you absolutely had to speak with every max SLink and gather at Junes etc. to get the REAL real ending, or are you set once you decide to do the right thing on New Year's?
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @IBurningStar said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    " Man, I must be extremely lucky because I managed to beat Nyx on my 2nd try without using any special personas or items. "
    Nah, that is just skill. I did the same thing. "
    That's a Pro Tip right there!
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By ch3burashka

Patience.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karkarov
    @asmo29a said:
    "Btw, I know there's a bad and a good ending depending on how you decide on December, 31st. Is the "good ending" path divided as well like it was in P4 where you absolutely had to speak with every max SLink and gather at Junes etc. to get the REAL real ending, or are you set once you decide to do the right thing on New Year's? "
    No not really. You just have to make the right call, the real ending is part of the "The Answer" which is actually alot harder than the main game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.