Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei

Franchise »

A long running series of JRPGs published by Atlus, almost all featuring unrelated stories and characters, but sharing common themes, chief among them being interaction with demons through fighting, diplomacy, control, and cooperation.

Shin Megami Tensei IV announced for the 3DS

• 76 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I sincerely hope that when they do announce Persona 5, it is not on a handheld system. This is neat news, though, regardless.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

Ad:

No Caption Provided
    Is it me, or does that not really look like Tokyo? They said the reason SJ was not called SMTIV was because of its setting.

@Zeik

said:

I this is a Nocturne-styled SMT I really hope that they don't actually just reuse the PS2 assets again. I love Atlus, but I got pretty tired of the same old demon models by the end of the PS2 era. Not that I expect completely redesigned demons, since they are modeled after classic Kaneko designs, but there are definitely ways to make them fresh again.

Eh. Maybe the time has come for Kaneko to dusts himself off and start drawing some new goddamn demons again. At the very least, if they are going to reuse designs, they should use his designs that never made it to the PS2 era for the most part.

@ArbitraryWater: I hate demon negotiation in every single SMT game its been in, but the idea has potential. Atlus just keeps fucking it up. Lets hope 20th time is the charm....
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#53  Edited By Hailinel

@mutha3: Nocturne's Vortex World didn't exactly resemble Tokyo, either.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By AngelN7

Oh come on Strange Journey was as much SMT as any other SMT is like they took the crown from a prom queen "No we were resting the crown in you head for her, you're not prom queen!"

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Pepsiman

The web site is now live and somebody on NeoGAF was kind enough to split up that main image into two parts and adjust contrast/brightness levels accordingly to make them more coherent. I'll post them below.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Although that second image was really debatable as to whether it depicted Tokyo or not, it's now pretty obviously a depiction of Shibuya Ginza (my bad), which shouldn't be too surprising given how often the area is featured throughout the SMT franchise.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By Animasta

Tokyo just can't get a break!

It doesn't seem to follow SMT 2 or 3, but I can't remember all of the endings of 3...

Seems to be Kaneko doing the characters... girl sitting down reminds me of Sara from DDS.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mutha3

Megaten4.jp 

This site opened up. Trying not to get too hyped about this game because its probably going be a year or longer before its released in Europe(ps: fuck region locking).

@Animasta said:

Seems to be Kaneko doing the characters... girl sitting down reminds me of Sara from DDS.

Its probably going to end being Kaneko(.....r-right?) and all, but I'm not sure how you're getting that from these images. For starters, these images appear to be hand-drawn!
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58  Edited By Animasta

@mutha3 said:

Megaten4.jp This site opened up. Trying not to get too hyped about this game because its probably going be a year or longer before its released in Europe(ps: fuck region locking).

Considering Atlus has Etrian Odyssey and THAT still doesn't have a date afaik, it'll probably be half a year to a year before Japan even gets it.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Simulacrum

I hope they bring back the press turn system.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Zeik

@ArbitraryWater said:

As long as it is balls hard like Nocturne but doesn't have the incredibly dumb demon negotiation system, I will be on board. Oh wait. It will totally have the demon negotiation system. Because that's a SMT "thing". If we want to talk about one of the reasons why I haven't finished Nocturne yet, that is one of them. The other is that it's really hard and that kind of difficulty grinds on one after a while.

Nocturne had one of the worst iterations of the negotiation system in the franchise. I quite like negotiating with demons in SMT1/2, Strange Journey and Devil Summoner 2 because you actually get to converse with the demons and recruiting them is more about understanding their personality, instead of just throwing items at them over and over until they join.

@mutha3 said:

Eh. Maybe the time has come for Kaneko to dusts himself off and start drawing some new goddamn demons again. At the very least, if they are going to reuse designs, they should use his designs that never made it to the PS2 era for the most part.

I don't disagree. I actually really like a lot of the redesigns he has done in the past, it would be nice to see some more. Especially since some of his designs are clearly kind of dated.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#61  Edited By LordAndrew

Wow. When Atlus says they're making a Shin Megami Tensei game for the 3DS, they mean it.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jay444111

@Hailinel said:

No Caption Provided

@FluxWaveZ said:

Ad:

Praise YHVH!

Wait, no. Bad idea. Terrible idea! OK, uh...

Hail Lucifer!

Wait. SHIT. I don't even know if that's worse! All right then, uh...

Give thanks to...whatever deity you want! Yeah, that's it. Play it neutral...

Hail Arthur or Commander Gore instead!

Damn man... please... for the love of the universe, please come out in the states! I will buy a 3DS just for it!

Although, they are releasing these games faster than I can beat them! ARG!!!

Also, Tokyo can't take a break from this demon crap, can it? Well, at least they haven't got as bad as the Akira Manga where they are nuked like... 3 times, flooded massively 2 times, gang wars all over, orbital lasers happening a good 2/3 times that manage to destroy a shitton of what was left, and even carpet bombing as super beings fought each other... nothing could get as fucked as Neo-Tokyo was in the Akira Manga.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Zeik

I don't think there's any chance we aren't getting this. The only thing we need to pray for it is that it will be released soon.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By jimi

Hoping for some persona 5 news at TGS, not holding my breath though.

This seems pretty sweet though, the original DS had some amazing RPGs, hope the 3DS continues the trend!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Jimi said:

Hoping for some persona 5 news at TGS

Don't count on it at all. Not only does Atlus not announce their games at TGS but, if you check the Persona 5 forums, you'll see that people have stated that exact same hope for more than two years now.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Zeik

It's not out of the question, since they did announce awhile ago it was in development, but I don't expect to hear anything solid until next year at the earliest.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Zeik said:

It's not out of the question, since they did announce awhile ago it was in development, but I don't expect to hear anything solid until next year at the earliest.

Yeah, just like the headline I put for the page says:

"Latest iteration in the Persona series of games announced on March 24th, 2010 in the Japanese video game magazine Dengeki PlayStation."

And before the announcement of SMT IV, I thought that the game would be announced this year because of these statements:

In interviews upon the release of Catherine, Meguro has stated he'll be able to discuss the RPG that he and Hashino are developing following Catherine's release. This RPG is presumed to be Persona 5.
    In a recent Famitsu interview discussing developers' aspirations for the new year of 2012, it was stated by Atlus that "that title you’ve been waiting for may be announced." The title in question is presumed to be Persona 5.

As it seems to have turned out, these point directly to SMT IV and not P5, so I have no guesses as to when Persona 5 will be "officially" announced.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NegativeCero

I should finish Nocturne.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Wraith1

@NegativeCero said:

I should finish Nocturne.

same here

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Animasta said:

@Dagbiker said:

Good, now they can continue not working on Persona 5.

They have more than one team you know

also

fuck you Atlus I don't want a 3DS

but

goddamnit

Yeah that's the position I'm in, if Nintendo announces a new legend of zelda game or anything for it, I'm screwed.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By Deusx

I seriously cannot wait any more for this game. I´m just getting my 3DS and finding about this news last week was music to my ears.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Official website's been updated with a single piece of music. Also, it is confirmed that the game is being developed by Atlus' "Maniacs Team", headed by Kazuyuki Yamai, who directed SMTIII Maniacs, both Raidou games for the PS2 and is now directing the enhanced Soul Hackers port for the 3DS.

It's a better version of the original SMT intro music.

bbrcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By bbrcher

Damn it, that got me in the mood to play it now. Going to spend the next 30m looking at old news about this and then, sadly, go back to work...

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By cosi83

Guess i gotta buy a 3ds. Vita, i can't afford you

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Alkaiser

I'll buy a 3DSXL just for this game. Goddamn, I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, but SMT games are the best. Persona is cool and all (really, REALLY like 2:EP) but it doesn't hold a candle to Nocturne or Strange Journey (or what I've played of the Aeon Genesis translations of the first 2. I need to get back to those.)

Hope to see some Jack Frost and Pyro Jack soon. And some horrifying version of Mara.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I can't stop listening to that moody music, for some reason. It's great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.