Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

Prequel to Shovel Knight featuring the villain Specter Knight.

I'd just like to say how awesome Shovel Knight and it's expansions are.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RosesAreDan

Just finished Specter of Torment, and man... this series really does retro the "right" way. Apparently Yacht Club Games is working on something else this year, I'm really excited to see what they come up with next! (Shovel Knight 64)

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Been really enjoying this game after finally finding it heavily discounted (physical version with a printed manual - a nice touch). Completed the main campaign and currently halfway through the Plague Knight DLC. At first I was kinda bummed out that you are simply playing through the same levels. But there is enough difference in the character controls and abilities combined with increased difficulty and variations in how the campaign is subverted to keep me going.

Is the Specter Knight DLC the same way?

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: It is similar in that you are going through each level to fight the boss knight at the end, but like you say the powers and traversal is different enough that it feels like a new thing, along with some really awesome story beats that I didn't expect.

bawbalewie1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bawbalewie1314

Yes, Shovel Knight is awesome. My only complaint is there is no part of the game where he goes to the local cemetery to dig up a date (or two).

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shovel knight is fantastic. I haven't played the expansion though. Am I right in saying that if you own shovel knight you get the expansion as a free update or am I talking crazy?

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Yeah I bought it on 3DS at release and I've gotten both the Plague Knight and Specter Knight expansion for free. Another bonus!

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Darth_Navster

Shovel Knight on Vita is just so freaking good. The controls match up perfectly with the Vita's available inputs and the OLED screen gives the visuals a beautiful pop. It honestly looked better than the PS4 version when played on my 1080p tv. It wasn't until we got a 4K tv that it came close to the Vita's visuals.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Bought the vanilla game on 3DS a good while back, never even beat it.
    Bought the Treasure Trove on Switch, and beat all of the campaigns. Such a great game, with awesome humor and really cool music. "Strike the earth" never fails to inspire!
    While I initially was bummed that the DLC campaigns mostly used the same levels and layouts, the small diversions (bigger ones in the case of "Specter of Torment") and the different ways to move and attack made it feel kinda fresh still.
    Looking forward to what madness they have cooked up for King Knight!

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
    Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't the biggest fan of the original campaign but Spectre of Torment is incredible. Movement options are everything for me in a platformer and once you have certain items + the "grind on anything" armor, the game REALLY opens up.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's the best game of 2014, easily.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.