Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

leaving us OSX gents out in the cold? surprised...

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By XTraFries

So I've been getting pretty stoked about Civ V in the last few days. Between Ryan's words of addiction and seeing the new UI and game play footage. So I go to steam with the intention on buying my digital copy.

But apparently, no OSX version. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't all of the previous Civ games also available for the Mac?

I've played a fair amount of Civ IV since the OSX version was up on steam and have been really looking forward to giving the new game a shot. Any word on if it's going to come to OSX at all?

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ztiworoh

As a fellow Mac user I'm also disappointed in this, but I think that Civ IV's Mac port came out after the PC release. Could be a similar situation with Civ V?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

If it is it'll probably be done by Aspyr, it took a year (I think) for the mac version to come out.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By XTraFries
    @ztiworoh: Did it?

Hmmm....if that's how it was in previous games, it'd make sense for a delayed port in a few months or something. 

Still, super bummed.

@dudy80:

Ah, thanks for the info. Guess I'll still have a few months with SC2 before another strategy game takes over
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@ztiworoh said:
    " As a fellow Mac user I'm also disappointed in this, but I think that Civ IV's Mac port came out after the PC release. Could be a similar situation with Civ V? "
    Almost a year after, yeah.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By onarum

Don't get me wrong. but MACs are really not for gaming, the few times I tried I've never gotten a good gaming experience on a MAC, usually bad framerates.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but you can build a 500 bucks PC that runs games far better then most US$1000+ MAC models out there.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Maybe you can dual boot it.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By XTraFries
    @onarum: I know. I'm pretty damn casual with my Mac gaming. Literally, just Starcraft 2 and TF2 lately. I'm a film maker, so that's primarily why I have my macbook.

I'm also a broke college student, so spending any large amount of money to build myself a competent gaming PC just doesn't seem reasonable, considering how few games I actually play with my macbook. 

Starcraft 2 runs fine, same with TF2, and I'll most likely pick up Civ V whenever it becomes available for it.

But trust me, I know that anytime any game runs well (or at all) on this thing to be very thankful =p
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sanity

Macs have been getting better as of late for gaming, give it a few years and i think macs will see more major releases.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By zidd
    @Dork_Metamorphosis: I think its better than waiting a few weeks for a crappy cider port.
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@Zidd:  No argument here.  And if it turns out to be another Steamplay thing like for Civ 4, even more worth the wait. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Zidd: Some companies do good ports though.  I think it's less that OSX is bad for gaming, and more that most companies don't care enough to do good ports of their games.  If you look at a company that actually cares about the mac ports (like Blizzard) the games run great under OSX. 

It's sad, but you're right that most companies are content with just pushing out poor Cider ports.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By turboman

I'm a mac user and I want to have fun, too!

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By LegalBagel

I am disappointed they didn't make porting it more of a priority instead of just holding off until the PC version is out.  Undecided whether I'm going to try to get my terribly old PC running it, get a dual boot up and running, or just wait for it since there's enough console games and Starcraft 2 to be played. 

There are enough people out there that run macs as their primary work/home computers, so it does seem strange to see major releases that don't come out for both.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By JudgeDread

Its your own fault. If you want to play games you have to go the PC route. 

Even though there might be a Civ V released 2 years from now your overpriced and underpowered mac will probably not be able to run it properly.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @JudgeDread said:
    " Its your own fault. If you want to play games you have to go the PC route.   Even though there might be a Civ V released 2 years from now your overpriced and underpowered mac will probably not be able to run it properly. "
    YAAAYY
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By NickLott

The Civ IV mac port took nearly a year to come out. I use a macbook pro for my day to day use at work and home but I also have a gaming PC because you don't buy a mac for gaming and the few non-casual games that do come out for also run like shit compared to the Windows version on identical hardware (ie bootcamp). 

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By RVonE

Apparently it is possible to play the PC version on a Mac (without bootcamp). Check out this thread (it's actually a sticky thread over at the official 2K Games forums): 
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87584  

I haven't confirmed this myself, though.   

InsanePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InsanePenguin
    @onarum: 

Aren't we done with this argument yet? My 2007 MBP can run Civ V (albeit on low textures,) but come on, the laptop is 3 and a half years old. That's ancient in tech. 

OS X will get a port eventually, but it'll take a year. Just get a copy of Windows and use Boot Camp for now. If you buy it on Steam, when the Mac version comes out you'll be able to install it on OS X for free.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.