Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Downpour

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

The eighth game in the esteemed survival-horror franchise sees convict Murphy Pendleton escape captivity and flee into the much greater danger of the cursed town of Silent Hill.

A NonSpoiler Silent Hill Downpour Article Worth a Read...

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By delusionaltool
    roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By roborobb

I don't think it's going to be a good Silent Hill game. I played it at Eurogamer expo and it felt janky as fuck.

I wrote a preview on this game if you're interested in reading more.

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By delusionaltool

@RoboRobb: how early of a play test was it tho? and were you playing the alpha or beta build? ive seen some more rescent footage it looked great...and not as janky as the earlier footage...that was from october 2011 i bet they were showing off still a early play test of the game i dont think konami would allow a game that is janky to be released.

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By delusionaltool

reviews bitched about the combat cause they were annoyed the weapons broke and they had to keep finding new ones(which was a design choice) they said the puzzles were sweet and well thought out, and the story is really good...

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By iamjohn

You keep saying that it doesn't matter that the weapons keep breaking and the combat system is kind of broken because it was a design decision. You know that being intentional doesn't mean it's good or necessarily works for the game, right?

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By delusionaltool

@iAmJohn: people forget about how the old survival horror games worked...for this game they are going back to the roots of how the old survival horror games played...its not supposed to be a dead space, silent hill was never about combat and fast game play it was about telling a story, solving puzzles, and trying to survive the evils they throw at you, scaring you with the atmospheric sounds and environment. The weapon breaking in this game is a cool idea you can only hold what you can carry in your 2 hands they break you find another it instills panic in you the player cause your like oh shit i need a weapon and im getting attacked so your instincts kick in and you RUN like mad away from the evils that chase you...In resident evil you didnt always need to kill stuff you would just run the hell away same premise here..the article i posted is just a reminder of these kind of things...

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By roborobb

@delusionaltool: It was prior to them delaying it - it was a month before the original release date so it's hard to tell how far they were in development but it felt rough.

Who knows, it could be completely different to when I played it late last year.

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By delusionaltool

@RoboRobb: from the most recent footage it didn't look bad all...i do remember the old builds and it was janky as all get up...

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

Downpour looks good. I've had it preordered for a while, I'm interested to see if the team behind it can make a good SH game. If not the HD collection comes out the week after or something so I always have that to fall back on.

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By delusionaltool

@benjaebe: exactly my thoughts...i liked homecoming the battle system was a little much just because it was focused on fighting and action, but the story turned out pretty good and thats what matters to me in a silent hill game...this game looks more silent hill 2ish...

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By kogasu

I'm still not sure about this one. I'm going to wait and see how this turns out after its release. I like the aiming of the gun or lack thereof but the weapon breaking can get kind of annoying. I understand it's a realistic design choice but it's just not really something I want to worry about. Of course, that's just a small gripe, it doesn't break my interest in this game. Still, after 4, it just wasn't the Silent Hill that I loved. I'm not going to give up on this series though. I still love me a good REAL survival horror game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.