Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 30, 2008

This installment of Silent Hill sees a new character, Alex Shepherd, returning home from military service to find his family in disarray. To save his brother, Josh, he must enter the macabre town of Silent Hill.

Is Silent Hill: Homecoming still worth a look?

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By VWGTI

I'm so close to buying a copy, but I just don't know if it's worth dropping 35 bucks on. I've read and watched multiple reviews on this game and everyone seems to be so divided. It's nice to hear that they improved the combat system, however, I hear it takes a lot away from the fear factor.

To anyone who has played through it. Is it worth spending 35 bucks on? Is it even scary?

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

Actually I heard that it was scarier than previous games, but more on the psychological side and less on the "boo!" side.  I still don't know though because I haven't played it, but user opinion of the game (especially on GB) has been very good.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Moody_yeti

I rented the game awhile back,Enjoyed it alot.deffo a fun game imo

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VWGTI

@Black_Rose

It's good to hear that the game is psychologically scary. Resident Evil 5 did nothing for me in the scare department. I still remember Silent Hill 2 giving me nightmares back when it first came out. I would get scared to the point where I wouldn't want to move down the next hall, or go through the next door.

Good times.

I dunno. I gave up on Silent Hill after playing through the Room, which had such an interesting story but was bogged down by terrible combat mechanics - among other things. I guess the updates they've done in Homecoming are for the better?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Homecoming is very, very rarely scary. This is mostly due to the fact that Alex kicks ass. Combat is quick, effective and fun - Which is the worst thing to happen to the game, if you want to be frightened. And Homecoming is still full of Boo-scares.

But it's a very good, still reasonably atmospheric storydriven survival horror game. Even if everything else fails, you're still playing the first game where they let Akira Yamaoka work with 5.1 surround sound. And that alone makes this game worth it. The sound design is outstanding.

Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
    deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

if you enjoyed silent hill 1 or 2 this is a must have title
    as far as combat being to easy turn up the difficulty
    its a silent hill game i loved being that 3 and 4 were a little far out there

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

@VWGTI:

it deppends mostly... of you.

If you played the first one or the second, and really enjoyed it, probably you won't like it as much... but if you don't you're going to like it.

The thing is that it was a traddition of the each game in the series to have different monsters, so as if translation a different nightmare and psiquic challenge for each character. In the latest, many foes return from the other chapters in the series, especially from the second one.

Also combat is revamped, so expect an more elaborate fight gameplay, but also harder enemies...

And the story takes looooooooong to really develop into anything worth while, and the progression have been better.

The graphics are arguably uglier than in some other iterations.

So if you're a silent hill fan, it's best to stick to the other ones... but if you want to try something else by all means, it's a nice game. 

And... have you tried dead space? It is possibly the best horror game of the next-gen and it is at an affordable price.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

$35? No, and I picked it up for $10 at the Best Buy sale. I, uhh, have yet to play it but from what I have heard, it is a creepy, flawed game that is worth a look. Don't spend $35 on it though.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VWGTI
    @Jeust:

Yea, Dead Space was incredible. I've played through it twice.
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By dichemstys

I got it from GameFly and thoroughly enjoyed it. I played a little of all the Silent Hills except for the first, which I'm playing now, and this was the first one I really got into. Pretty creepy and it has a good combat system.
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By nail1080

Just cleared it ...
    Awesome game, will play it again to unlock the other 4 endings!
    The sound and some of the cut scenes grabbed my attention more than any other game this gen.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By cap123

i personally didn't like it, wasn't scary i'm afraid. I didn't finish it however, i think i was at about the half way point but i lost interest and played other games. To be honest i was a bit bored throughout the stuff i played.

other people i talked to liked it though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.