Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Singularity

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Singularity is Raven Software's alternate history shooter, where the player is given the ability of time manipulation.

Early Thoughts On Singularity

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By D34dM4n

Today I purchased my second Day-1 game, Singularity, and I thought I would just say what I thought of what played so far. For starters, let's talk about the story. For those of you that don't know, the story starts out with a grainy-looking film real about the USSR and their experiments with a new element only located on a mysterious island. Fast forward to today, your character and Nolan North (yes, he's in here, too) are investigating this island. You crash because of a weird explosion looking thing and realize the island is pretty fucked-up. Some more stuff happens and you get the TMD, your time controller. The story is pretty good, and has just the right level ridiculousness to the keep the story interesting without making you say "OK, this is just too much." Gameplay is pretty good. The shooting element is essentially Call of Duty, right trigger to shoot, left to aim down the sight and click of left stick to sprint. The guns are pretty standard: pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle (with time disruption field). Then there is the Seeker, which is a pretty standard gun from sci-fi shooters where you control the path of the shot.  Where the gameplay really splits off is the time manipulation stuff. Left bumper controls the aging, turning the clock back and forward on objects as well as super-aging enemies, turning them to dust. Right bumper is the melee, which is a time impulse, really effective against time mutants. Hold the right stick and it creates a DeadLock, the thing that looks kind of like the Time Bubble from Darkest of Days. It slows time of everything in the field. The graphics, however, could use a little work. The game looks good and everything, but I have a real problem with the Unreal Engine. At one point, it took a full 2 and half minutes for a texture to load in during a cutscene. From what I've played so far it is a really good game, and I expect it to get much better. Expect a full review when I finish it.

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By D34dM4n

Today I purchased my second Day-1 game, Singularity, and I thought I would just say what I thought of what played so far. For starters, let's talk about the story. For those of you that don't know, the story starts out with a grainy-looking film real about the USSR and their experiments with a new element only located on a mysterious island. Fast forward to today, your character and Nolan North (yes, he's in here, too) are investigating this island. You crash because of a weird explosion looking thing and realize the island is pretty fucked-up. Some more stuff happens and you get the TMD, your time controller. The story is pretty good, and has just the right level ridiculousness to the keep the story interesting without making you say "OK, this is just too much." Gameplay is pretty good. The shooting element is essentially Call of Duty, right trigger to shoot, left to aim down the sight and click of left stick to sprint. The guns are pretty standard: pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle (with time disruption field). Then there is the Seeker, which is a pretty standard gun from sci-fi shooters where you control the path of the shot.  Where the gameplay really splits off is the time manipulation stuff. Left bumper controls the aging, turning the clock back and forward on objects as well as super-aging enemies, turning them to dust. Right bumper is the melee, which is a time impulse, really effective against time mutants. Hold the right stick and it creates a DeadLock, the thing that looks kind of like the Time Bubble from Darkest of Days. It slows time of everything in the field. The graphics, however, could use a little work. The game looks good and everything, but I have a real problem with the Unreal Engine. At one point, it took a full 2 and half minutes for a texture to load in during a cutscene. From what I've played so far it is a really good game, and I expect it to get much better. Expect a full review when I finish it.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kishan6

ur username for some reason looks Br3adFan

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mmmslash

I watched the recent video that was out, of the first 15 minutes of it, and it seemed really, REALLY Bioshock-y. Is this the case throughout, or only in those early moments?

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By D34dM4n
    @Mmmslash: from what i've tried, it does have a kind of look similar to BioShock, and some of the time mutants are pretty Splicer-like. can't say if it will be like that all the way through the game, tho
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By thatfrood

The game is more reminiscent of Dead Space than Bioshock, really. And it is excellent.

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By D34dM4n
    @ThatFrood: the ping that u get is Dead Space-y, but it doesnt have the level of dismemberment that Dead Space did. And yes, it is very excellent
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood

The weapon upgrade terminals, the use of a gravity-gun type replacement that is your hand, the bosses having large, glowing orange sacks that you must shoot at to beat them... there are a lot of similarities.

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By D34dM4n
    @ThatFrood: point taken, but is shows all those things the 1950 "World of Tomorrow" style that was very present in BioShock
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

Does Nolan North's character come back to life?  If not, I will be heartbroken.  Put it in a spoiler tag, if need be.

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By D34dM4n
    @rjayb89 said:
    " Does Nolan North's character come back to life?  If not, I will be heartbroken.  Put it in a spoiler tag, if need be. "
    he hasn't yet, but i wouldnt be surprised if he does with all the time stuff. for all i know, he might become a boss. now that is terrifying: Nolan North boss fight

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.