Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skate 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 11, 2010

Skate 3 features a cooperative career mode, new tricks, a robust set of community features, and a suite of creation tools for logos, films, and skate parks.

Skate 3 Demo Impressions

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By GreggD

I've been a fan of the Skate series since its inception, and have played a hell of a lot of these games ever since. The new demo for Skate 3 that was released today is great, and I'll tell you why.

• They have fixed the off-board controls immensely. You can turn on a dime, and for the most part the animations are nice and fluid. Another good thing that they did is instead of coming to a full stop if you didn't completely fall over, your skater does a tuck and roll on flat ground, in a situation such as messing up a grind at high speed.  Also, he/she will BOOK IT when you hold down the A button to sprint.
    • The graphics are beautiful, and full of stark white and vibrant green colors. There are virtually no jaggy edges on display in the demo, which is nice. They also seem to have fixed the frame rate, though I remain slightly skeptical until I see the full breadth of Port Carverton in action.
    • They give you a decent bit of the University locale to skate around in, as well as Coach Frank's training grounds, which are plastered with Stereo logos. The logos don't really distract from the golf course-esque scenery on display in this area, and everything looks crisp and clean.
    • The darkslides take some getting used to, and I've yet to figure out exactly how to pull off a casper, but they are present and explained slightly, along with the underflip mechanic, which is quite hard. Basically, you're doing a normal kickflip flick of the stick, but in the same motion, you are required to flick it down in the opposite direction that it was flicked up. Like I said, the new moves take some getting used to.
    • The soundtrack is excellent, and the original scores from Del and Mark Mothersbaugh are fantastic. Very good ambient music to skate to.

Overall, this demo has convinced me that my purchasing Skate 3 will be a good decision, and I can't wait to play the full game in May.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By GreggD

I've been a fan of the Skate series since its inception, and have played a hell of a lot of these games ever since. The new demo for Skate 3 that was released today is great, and I'll tell you why.

• They have fixed the off-board controls immensely. You can turn on a dime, and for the most part the animations are nice and fluid. Another good thing that they did is instead of coming to a full stop if you didn't completely fall over, your skater does a tuck and roll on flat ground, in a situation such as messing up a grind at high speed.  Also, he/she will BOOK IT when you hold down the A button to sprint.
    • The graphics are beautiful, and full of stark white and vibrant green colors. There are virtually no jaggy edges on display in the demo, which is nice. They also seem to have fixed the frame rate, though I remain slightly skeptical until I see the full breadth of Port Carverton in action.
    • They give you a decent bit of the University locale to skate around in, as well as Coach Frank's training grounds, which are plastered with Stereo logos. The logos don't really distract from the golf course-esque scenery on display in this area, and everything looks crisp and clean.
    • The darkslides take some getting used to, and I've yet to figure out exactly how to pull off a casper, but they are present and explained slightly, along with the underflip mechanic, which is quite hard. Basically, you're doing a normal kickflip flick of the stick, but in the same motion, you are required to flick it down in the opposite direction that it was flicked up. Like I said, the new moves take some getting used to.
    • The soundtrack is excellent, and the original scores from Del and Mark Mothersbaugh are fantastic. Very good ambient music to skate to.

Overall, this demo has convinced me that my purchasing Skate 3 will be a good decision, and I can't wait to play the full game in May.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By swamplord666

Good impressions! Sadly I think i will never play a skateboard game again... Dunno why, just went off it completely! 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

cool. i forgot about darkslides. it is something that i am excited for as i'm a Rodney Mullen fan :) he is such a dickass skater. i'm donwloading the demo right now.

Avatar image for buttonsmcboomboom
    ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Having skipped skate 2 and loved the first skate I will probably pick this one up. I instantly went to realistic settings which don't seam that realistic but still fun and you're can't hulk jump over objects.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Duuude. You got me hyped for this game reading about this. BTW, I had no idea the demo was out. Downloading it NOW!  :P

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

Also, Jason Lee is in this game.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

dunno if i'll even try it, i like skating games and all, but Skate 1 pissed me off in so many ways

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Cynical_M

I've never played a Skate game until I played that demo last night. I liked it,the trick stick felt nice and easy to get a hang of. Also Jason Lee doing the tutorial as Coach Frank is completely awesome.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

The frame rate drops when you turn on cameraman mode. The difference is quite jarring actually.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GreggD
    @Sleepy_Insomniac: Yeah, I just tried that out. Jeez, it's bad.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agentboolen
    @extremeradical said:
    " Also, Jason Lee is in this game. "
    Thats funny he was also in one of the Tony Hawk games.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GreggD
    @agentboolen: Project 8. And it's because he's a celebrity with his own skate team, Stereo.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By weltal

Coach Frank is annoying a F U C K.  Other than that the game is fantastic.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GreggD
    @Weltal: I find him quite tolerable, and funny at times.
    SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmithSyndicate
    @Weltal:  I found Coach Frank quite funny, but I have a sense of humor like that.  Not a big fan of My Name Is Earl, though.

I've played this demo like 6 times already.  I never bought or even rented Skate 1 or 2, but for some reason I'm SUPER interested in this one.  I played Skate 2 for the first time maybe a week ago and was blown away by it, having not played a skating game since.... THUG2?  I love the minimalism of it and the realisticness.  Something about it strikes a beatifically artistic chord.  It's almost therapeutic, which is saying a lot when you hear people bitch about its difficulty.

Playing Skate 2 a week or two ago I had a lot of criticims: the off board stuff, being knocked down by pedestrians, shallow Hall of Meat controls.  Honestly, Skate 3 seems to have dealt with all of those.  I remember verbally saying all the features I wanted added to HoM, and low and behold they were.  Feels great to get what you want.

Consider this pre-ordered, from a kid that wants little to do with real life skateboarding.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AltonBrown

The demo was fantastic. Still can't see myself paying full price for Skate 3, though. I'll hold off for awhile.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @AltonBrown said:
    " The demo was fantastic. Still can't see myself paying full price for Skate 3, though. I'll hold off for awhile. "
    Same here. 

Jason Lee is a great fit and much better than the usual whooping idiots the series features.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Awesome stuff man. Thanks for the heads-up. Looking forward to downloading the Demo.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it. I thought Skate 2 was a lazy and disappointing sequel, so hopefully this game will get things back on track. 

Jason Lee, huh? Well, that's pretty cool, I guess. He was like the main narrator guy in Tony Hawk's Project 8 (the last great Tony Hawk game). I'm still pretty upset that Activision bailed on the Tony Hawk series the way they did. I still don't think Skate has reached the level of awesomeness that Tony Hawk was at, but maybe Skate 3 will do things right and make some smart improvements to give it the edge.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By ErgoProxy77

Skate 3 is really interesting me now.  I didn't play the first two, but now that the guys at Black Box have improved the game so much, I can't help but put Skate 3 on my wishlist.  The only bad part about the game to me is that Coach Frank is played by a stupid, scientologist.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By animateria

I was always interested in Skate but decided to wait for it to polish up.

I think S3 is definitely interesting me a lot.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wasn't aware that the demo is out, downloading it later fo sure 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By TheHBK

Just need to know, is that asshole who introduces you to the game and trys to be your guide still in the game?  If he is then its a  no go for me.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Cube

After playing the demo: Yep, it's Skate.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GreggD
    @TheHBK said:
    " Just need to know, is that asshole who introduces you to the game and trys to be your guide still in the game?  If he is then its a  no go for me. "
    Giovanni Reda is still there, but only in certain cut scenes. He's the manager of your skate team, and the new filmer that follows you is virtually silent.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By agentboolen
    @GreggD:  I did not know he was that involve with skating, all i know is I like him from the Kevin Smith movies and that show My Name is Earl....  Sorry i'm more of a gamer then a skater.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GreggD
    @agentboolen: I didn't mean to say that this information was pertinent, I'm sorry. Just dropping a little knowledge, you know how it is.
    steelharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By steelharrison

I loved skate and skate 2 but for some reason I think im done with skateboarding games
    Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Skillface

I love the punch button.

So. Much.

But seriously, awesome. Hardcore mode certainly provides the challenge that this game (didn't) need. Flipping out of grinds is a bitch and a half.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GreggD
    @Skillface said:
    " I love the punch button.

So. Much.  But seriously, awesome. Hardcore mode certainly provides the challenge that this game (didn't) need. Flipping out of grinds is a bitch and a half. "
    Indeed. THWAP, btw.
    Also, as long as the game doesn't force you to turn on hardcore mode for a higher level of each challenge, you can get all of the achievements without even turning it on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.