Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

OPM UK gives 9/10-"2012's most brilliantly brutal surprise"

Avatar image for hardcorebunni93
    hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardcorebunni93

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/361933/sleeping-dogs-review-arrives-2012s-most-brilliantly-brutal-surprise/

So yeah, I think it might be the first review out for the game? Anyways, they say it's the game Saints Row has spent a decade trying to be and from a MASSIVE SR 3 fan, who feels like it's a game who's definitely found its comfort zone in the wackiest spectrum of sandbox games, I'm not quite sure what they mean. Is it even wackier than SR 3? Or does the reviewer lack the notion of what Saints Row has been about over the ages, first trying to be a GTA clone struggling with coming to terms with the new technology of the current generation, then onto the road to absolute lunacy that brought Volition to what I believe of the coolest and shameless "videogamey" videogames of this generation. Anyways, Sleeping Dogs, really hope it turns out cool.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By foggel

I'm probably picking it up.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ares42

Gotta say, from the stuff I've seen of the game I haven't gotten a single notion of Saints Row vibe. But then again it's OPM, so... looking forward to some real reviews though.

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@Ares42 said:

Gotta say, from the stuff I've seen of the game I haven't gotten a single notion of Saints Row vibe. But then again it's OPM, so... looking forward to some real reviews though.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe the Asian main character is hiding an even bigger dildo than the"Penetrator" inside his ass, just waiting to unleash his demented brand of Hong Kong violence. The dildo will be voiced by Ron Jeremy.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Twisted_Scot

If this really does get great reviews (like 9/10 etc) and sells really well...id hate to be the guy that canceled it.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Elazul

I hate to call out reviews of a game before it's even out, but that Saint's Row statement just seems wrong, regardless of the quality of either game. From what I've seen it almost seems like the opposite; somewhat bland in the presentation department and lacking personality but potentially quite interesting mechanically. I guess we'll see when more reviews start to hit.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Saint's Row? 

Right.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones

7.75 by gameinformer. It actually sounds pretty good and it's 44 bucks on pc, may have to pick it up

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravenlight
    Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shaka999

@hardcorebunni93 said:

@Ares42 said:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe the Asian main character is hiding an even bigger dildo than the"Penetrator" inside his ass, just waiting to unleash his demented brand of Hong Kong violence. The dildo will be voiced by Ron Jeremy.

Someone needs to alert THQ to this idea immediately.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By falserelic

I can't go by with 1 review I have to see more.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo
    "This is the game Saints Row has spent a decade desperate to be, a rollercoaster open-world adventure set in an environment that's fun to explore and doss about in, and packed to the brim with rousing missions, happy diversions and other amazing stuff."

Saints Row isn't even close to being a decade old. Then he basically goes on to describe exactly what Saints Row is widely considered to have achieved anyway. 

gg, reviewer.
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@Heltom92 said:

OXM also gave the game 9/10.

"A Wei better game than we were expecting?" Seriously? Man, that's lame. Anyways, yeah, official magazines in my experience are never to be trusted when it comes to their reviews. @Sackmanjones said:

7.75 by gameinformer. It actually sounds pretty good and it's 44 bucks on pc, may have to pick it up

That sounds more in line with what I expected but I'll pass judgement until more reviews come out. Anyone know if GB's reviewing the game and if so, who?

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Heltom92

@hardcorebunni93 said:

@Heltom92 said:

OXM also gave the game 9/10.

"A Wei better game than we were expecting?" Seriously? Man, that's lame. Anyways, yeah, official magazines in my experience are never to be trusted when it comes to their reviews. @Sackmanjones said:

That sounds more in line with what I expected but I'll pass judgement until more reviews come out. Anyone know if GB's reviewing the game and if so, who?

I think Alex might be reviewing, I could be wrong.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kindgineer

@hardcorebunni93: It doesn't sound like the reviewer in question has a large library of games to compare his thoughts to. While I can easily see the similarities, it's a little suspicious to go out of your way to call SR3 out. In no way am I Saints Row 3 fanatic, but it sounds like maybe he didn't enjoy the game - and this is his venting process.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones
    Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Have to admit it looked pretty cool in the quick look and if GTA V wasn't on the horizon I snatch this right up. Has a kind of Hong Kong crime film vibe to it. Like Internal Affairs or something. Here's hoping someone at GB gives it a once over.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WalkerTR77

Alex has achievements for it, so it appears he's doing the review.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Don't really appear to be anything special.  Not that I don't like these types of games, it just don't look like a 'must play now'.  I'll wait for more game play videos to see if it should move up in the que.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

$34 on GMG right now with code ORDER-NTCOM-PLETE. I'm sorely tempted to grab it, looks like it could be a great open world experience.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sackmanjones

EGM gave it a 9.5/10

From alexs hints id say it will get a 4 maybe even 5/5. Either way I got it for 34 bucks on pc and that seems like a swell deal

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Elazul said:

I hate to call out reviews of a game before it's even out, but that Saint's Row statement just seems wrong, regardless of the quality of either game.

Sounds like cheap-shot click-bait to me.

I'm interested in seeing what this game has to offer but I'll be surprised (very pleasantly surprised) if I enjoy it as much or more than any of the Saints Row games.

nasseh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nasseh

The launch trailer they released just recently left me pleasantly surprised, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I wish they had a demo out, but I'll guess I'll have to wait on some more reviews and video play-throughs before I put my money down.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says

There's at least an hour of footage from the beginning of the game on youtube already, and there doesn't seem to be any of the over the top idiocy of SR3. However, there seems to be much more to do in the Sleeping Dogs sandbox than in Saint's Row. I loved SR3, but that was one dead looking open world.

I don't know if what I've seen deserves crazy high scores but it looked alright. There's a whole fighting system with upgrades in place, karaoke, multiple side missions and a pretty vibrant looking overworld.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By laserbolts

Saint's Row? No thanks.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By impartialgecko

Having "Official" in your publication's title is like have "People's Democratic Republic" before the name of your country.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deox

I really hope it turns out great because I love this style of game, but I'm sceptical.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vorbis

The setting is the most interesting thing about this game and probably the reason I'll pick it up. Shame there's no Cantonese audio track though, some of the accents seem very off.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

They've turned True Crime into a funky open world TPS fueled by absurdity like Saints' Row?

And here I was looking forward to a serious-ish True Crime game where I play as a Hong Kong police officer catching bad guys... Shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Starting to feel bad I went with Darksiders 2. Oh well, THQ needs the money super bad.

Ah, I'll end up buying both. And then just playing Persona 4 Arena anyway.x

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By granderojo

I was talking with someone who got a early copy of the game to review, she described it to me as well written and voiced Hong Kong/Triad wushu flick but with the structure, pacing and a lot of the mechanics of the Bully game. Before she told me that it had already become the game I was probably most anticipating for 2012 with that whole interview/trailer with the voice actors but after hearing how she described it...

Man I wish steam would let me preload this sucker. I want to play it the second it hits release.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zungerman090

@AhmadMetallic: It was never supposed to be a True Crime game. Activision just made an executive decision to slap that name on it to gain exposure. I believe that it's first name was Black Lotus. And seeing that some of the side missions deal with organ trafficking by rival gangs, it doesn't really seem like wacky fun of Saints Row. I have a feeling that they are going for that grounded look. Something like Infernal Affairs perhaps. They actually cited it as an influence.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Sleeping Hit Amirite?

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By yevinorion

This game looks pretty interesting, but I'm going to wait for a bit before I buy. I can't afford to get two right now and Darksiders 2 has my attention. Hopefully this will go up on PSN or something as a full game, that would be awesome.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@zungerman090 said:

@AhmadMetallic: It was never supposed to be a True Crime game. Activision just made an executive decision to slap that name on it to gain exposure. I believe that it's first name was Black Lotus. And seeing that some of the side missions deal with organ trafficking by rival gangs, it doesn't really seem like wacky fun of Saints Row. I have a feeling that they are going for that grounded look. Something like Internal Affairs perhaps. They actually cited it as an influence.

I see. Could be an interesting sleeper hit, or a total failure that lacks focus (torn between Saints Row, True Crime and GTA influences).

We'll see!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By Justin258

Nothing about it screamed "Saint's Row" to me; it seemed to take the more serious side of GTA and go with it. Saints Row took the wacky end of things.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zungerman090

@AhmadMetallic: You might want to take Saints Row out of the equation. From what I've seen of the game, tonally, there is nothing similar. Also, you still have to do quite a bit of gang activities. You are undercover after all. But there are also cop side missions apparently.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kerse

I'm betting the Saints Row thing is just the way they both involve gang stuff.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Kiri90

I'm really interested in this game, but haven't finished the games I bought during the Steam summer sale. I might go ahead and preorder this later today to save myself the $5, but I have a feeling that if I wait 2-3 weeks, Amazon will do a Spec Ops type deal on it (50%off).

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By billyhoush

Super stoked to pick this up tomorrow.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DeF

@Twisted_Scot said:

If this really does get great reviews (like 9/10 etc) and sells really well...id hate to be the guy that canceled it.

Probably not a big deal for the suit who made the decision. I'd think they didn't let the game go without getting some cash from Square Enix and the added development time even with "good" sales probably amounts to peanuts compared to all the Call of Duty and Skylanders money they're still swimming in. Their statement back then was something like "either it's absolute 100% sure gangbusters Scrooge McDuck money or we're not doing it" when they announced the cancellation.

Still, I believe moving away from Activision is probably the best thing that could've happened with the game. I bet the feature-rich PC version is not something that could've been expected before.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Took a chance when i preordered it, can't wait to get my hands on it.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zungerman090

8.0 from Gamespot. Guess it isn't all that bad, eh? The only bad point I picked up on is that the character models and some environment textures are a bit dodgy. Not sure whether that is worth two point deduction, but still quite a good score. Definitely picking this up somewhere in September.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cloudnineboya

this looks good, thinks i might go for this instead of darksiders something more fresh. but will have to wait my wallet is very shy right now.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Wow! I was just going to Metacritic to see if there was anything on Darksiders II and was surprised to see that this game is actually getting very positive reviews.

I had totally written this game off as just a throw away GTA clone, especially considering that a dev history as rocky as the one this game has isn't usually a recipe for success. Now I'm thinking I actually need to pick this game up though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.