Anyone who loved CTR should really consider this

#1 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

It's pretty damn good. I know I probably sound like a crazy man praising a Sonic racing game, but this is the closest thing you'll find this gen to Crash Team Racing.

This is basically just me saying, don't judge a book by its cover. Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing is a must buy for any PS3/360 only owners craving a kart racer.

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14347 posts) -

Damn you. I was considering buying this, but convinced myself it was a bad idea. But CTR is one of my favourite games of all time, and hearing it compared to that makes me extremely tempted again.

#3 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1492 posts) -

It did seem simillar, but in a super-market Coke sort of way.
#4 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

I got the demo for PS3 and this is an addictive little gem of a cart racer. And sorry Jeff, doesn't give it the respect it deserves in the quick look.

#5 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@samcotts said:

" this is the closest thing you'll find this gen to Crash Team Racing."

You just sold me. CTR is the best fun racer ever created. By far. It was and is so much better than any Mario Kart, that's not even funny anymore.
#6 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -

People loved Crash Team Racing?

#7 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

I never even heard about this game till a few days ago. Now that everyone is comparing it to CTR, and after watching the Quick Look, I think I may have to pick this up.

#8 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@masternater27 said:
" People loved Crash Team Racing? "
I don't like racing games, and I I've played the hell out of CTR.
#9 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" @masternater27 said:
I don't like racing games, and I I've played the hell out of CTR. "
I wouldn't really consider a kart racer to be a racing game.  Everybody I know loves Mario Kart, whilst hardly anybody I know loves Burnout or Forza.  But yeah, I was unaware that CTR was anything but a bad Mario Kart knockoff.
#10 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@masternater27 said:
" I wouldn't really consider a kart racer to be a racing game.  Everybody I know loves Mario Kart, whilst hardly anybody I know loves Burnout or Forza.   "
Other way around, dude. Kart racers are a lot closer to being "racing games" than driving sims are. Because at least with kart racers you actually concentrate on racing and not on driving your car. 

A much more accurate (but still wrong) phrase would be "I wouldn't consider a driving sim to be a racing game".
#11 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -
@masternater27: It's way more than that. It's probably my most played PSOne game after Final Fantasy VIII. I prefer it to most Mario Kart games actually, except maybe Double Dash.
#12 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Hm, the XBL demo is not very convincing.

#13 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

Dude, I am really... really tempted...
#14 Posted by MrJared (397 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" Hm, the XBL demo is not very convincing. "
Definitely do not judge the game by its demo. There's a day-one patch that did wonders to the framerate. 

I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one who compared it to Crash Team Racing. It's really very good! The balance issues do get to me at times (Cycle characters are pretty gdlk, no "blue shell" means 1st place can really run away with it) but the solid drift mechanics and excellent track design (especially later in the game) really make for an exciting game. It's also the first Kart racer that I've enjoyed snaking because, really, just about anyone can do it properly without too much effort.

I believe there should be some DLC in the future which will hopefully come with a match to smooth things out a little more. But really, if you're interested in the game,do pick it up. It's really very good.
#15 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

I do like a good kart racer. Can't say I'm craving one, but this still is tempting.

#16 Posted by MrJared (397 posts) -

Thanks to this thread I'm totally craving some Sonic All-Star Racing. I'm going to go ahead and toss up a live stream in about 20 minutes so if any of you have any questions, feel free to swing by. I'll be playing the later stuff where the game gets pretty crazy.

#17 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -
@masternater27 said:
I was unaware that CTR was anything but a bad Mario Kart knockoff. "
That's one of my fav games of all time you're talking about :O 

92% on Game Rankings is pretty impressive.
#18 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Great game, CTR. Tastes change if you say this Sega kart racer plays like it since I deleted the demo after 1.5 races; eh... don't watch Nickelodeon/Disney shows anymore and don't have a craving for a kart racer.

#19 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

CTR huh, maybe i'll rent it.

#20 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@masternater27 said:
Yes. Crash Team Racing was better than Mario Kart.
#21 Edited by Zao (127 posts) -

Jeff voiced his opinion once that he thought CTR was better than Mario Cart I dont know what podcast it was tho.
#22 Posted by Andorski (5197 posts) -

I was really surprised by the demo - it was a lot of fun.  Probably won't pick it up though... saving my kart racing time for ModNation Racers.

#23 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -

Jeez, admit to not knowing about CTR and the defense league comes out lol.

#24 Posted by mshaw006 (540 posts) -

I just picked this up to satiate my kart cravings, as I only have a 360, and I gotta say, it's loads of fun. Comparisons to CTR are well warranted.

#25 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

So, I loved CTR, but I am really disappointed with Mario Kart Wii due to the rubberbanding A.I. in the game. Does this game have this problem as well? Is there a blue shell equivalent?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.