Sony, We Need To Talk.

Posted by Interfect (980 posts) -

Pretty Shitty Portable.

Now As much as I enjoy my Playstation 3 and even Playstation 2 sometimes. One thing I doubt Sony will ever sell me on is the PSP. Be it the current generation or the next one. For one if I really felt like playing handheld games, I would just buy a Nintendo DS. Because when it comes to gaming on the go. Time after time I have looked to Nintendo and they have not disappointed. My Gameboy Advance SP has lasted me a very long time and I can still find good used games to play on it. 

I have nothing clever to say about this picture other then that, I'm kind of glad I don't one of these things. And that last sentence isn't very clever anyways.

Another thing is that the 3DS right now. Looks much better then anything I could imagine for a handheld system. Which leads me to doubt what Sony can include enough meaningful upgrades to the PSP to sell me on it. I find it kind of ironic Nintendo seems to have beaten Sony to the punch with 3D displays in a handheld. With Sony's big push on 3D TV's, Blu-Ray, PS3 games and what not. You would think the PSP might get in on that 3D goodness. Also I bet if Sony was to include 3D in the next PSP I bet it wouldn't be as (meaningful) as the 3D in the 3Ds. Because I bet I would have to wear stupid 3D glasses to see it anyways. 

Butler, Meet Rivers.

Now I really enjoy the marketing campaign Sony has going on with the K Man. But the introduction of the wisecracking 12 year old Marcus Rivers has left me a little bit disappointed. If you don't know who I'm talking about he is the advertiser for the PSP and PSPGo. 

Heres a video that will help explain a little more. 

Now I in no way hate the kid. I just find him to be too fake. Kevin Butler comes off as a little more "human" then this kid. Also I find the ad campaign to be kind of useless. Since I don't see what good can come out of it. 

So in the end am I just crazy for not seeing what an amazing handheld the PSP is? Has Kevin Butler finally met his match? Will the next true PSP have what the original should of in the first place and then some? Will it be enough to take on the 3Ds? And where the heck are my pants!?
#2 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Its like they watched a comedy sketch about how to sell a product. Sassy black boy, fucking embarrassing.

#3 Posted by Landon (4155 posts) -

The ads with Marcus make me think they want to sell the PSP to children. Ya know, special children.

#4 Posted by Interfect (980 posts) -
@Landon:  

But most kids probably have a DS. And I'm sure mentally challenged kids know the difference between a quality handheld and a shitty one
#5 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

I own a PSP and still play it regularly. It's just not for you.

#6 Edited by Spoonman671 (4711 posts) -

I think it really comes down to what you want out of your handheld.  For example, I don't particularly care for the more bite-sized gaming experiences, regardless of whether or not it's on a mobile platform.  This is the reason why I regret buying my DS and really want a PSP.  Most people feel differently than I do on this issue, obviously, but I still think the PSP will have a grasp on a niche market going forward.  I doubt it will ever be real competition for the DS.

#7 Edited by Famov (768 posts) -

As an unrelenting Nintendo fanboy, I kinda really like the PSP. It has a bunch of compelling games.

But uh, ignore the adverts.

#8 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I really liked the PSP back in 2005 when it had pixar like graphics on the go.
But I didn't drive a car back then.
Handheld games are for people that take the peasant wagon to work/school.

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13240 posts) -

I'll say it: I hate the kid.

That said, I don't have anything against the PSP, and if they had all of the older PSP games that I wanted to play available for the PSP GO, I'd probably buy one. But they don't, so I wont.

#10 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I honestly couldn't care less about the psp. I think they should just drop the handheld thing and put those resources into making the ps3 and future consoles better. Nintendo's got the handheld shit locked down.

#11 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

@canucks23:
Nintendo also has ridiculous console dominance as well. What Sony needs to do is reinvent itself in both arenas. I would like to see the same from Microsoft, along with a handheld from them. Smart companies become most creative when they're not first place.

#12 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@Famov: @canucks23:  

I think Sony and Nintendo should become partners and Sony do the console shit and Nintendo do the Handheld then both can use each other's ip's.
#13 Posted by Brendan (7847 posts) -
@Spoonman671 said:
"I think it really comes down to what you want out of your handheld.  For example, I don't particularly care for the more bite-sized gaming experiences, regardless of whether or not it's on a mobile platform.  This is the reason why I regret buying my DS and really want a PSP.  Most people feel differently than I do on this issue, obviously, but I still think the PSP will have a grasp on a niche market going forward.  I doubt it will ever be real competition for the DS. "

Agreed completely.  I should also add the tired point that because Sony is trying to fit a console experience on to a handheld, one nub just doesn't blah blah blah...   

I watched Advent Children on a PSP once though, that was cool.  But then I watched it on a TV, that was better.
#14 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I owned a Game Boy Advance for a week and gave it up. I've never looked back, except when I want too.

#15 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

That's the kid from Role Models.

#16 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" That's the kid from Role Models. "
I find it highly distracting as well.  
Paul Rudd should show up in a commercial just for shits and giggles. Or Mclovin (I know his real name is Christopher Mintz-Plasse but even if he cured cancer he will always be known as Mclovin. Just like Christopher Mcdonald will always be Shooter McGavin.)
#17 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I like the PSP. I play mine a whole lot more then my DS so different strokes for different strokes I guess.

#18 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

If you want full-on 'real' games you go elsewhere.  Consoles/PC.
If you want something to give to a kid to get them off of your TV you go elsewhere.  The DS seems tougher and more and kid-friendly.
If you want a kind of showy adult piece of tech you go elsewhere.  The iPhone has the app store and is a damn phone.

It has games and is a cool device but it's just too niche and it's kind of clear the PSP is screwed in the US.  It probably needs to stop selling in Japan before Sony do something drastic.  All SoA and SoE can do is try and make it look like a better deal and throw ads at you.

#19 Posted by DriveupLife (918 posts) -

I think you guys need to lighten up, I really like the new PSP Ad campaign. It's pretty funny and basically that's what kids want. Remember, all of you don't need to be exposed to advertising to buy things, you're knowledgeable enough to look up what you want by yourself. The ad is just that, an Ad that's guided to a specific audience, younger kids. Aka, not any of you.

#20 Posted by Interfect (980 posts) -
@DriveupLife:  

I gotta admit. I found it really when funny when Marcus said. "I consume a healthy amount of suckas online everyday."
#21 Posted by InfiniteStateMachine (215 posts) -

I have a few NDS'es and I've always MEANT to get a PSP, I will eventually, I'm just broke as hell right now.

#22 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

Gitaroo Man +Lumines= psp win 

#23 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
#24 Posted by InfiniteStateMachine (215 posts) -
@AgentJ:  hahah fair enough, I guess that shows exactly how much I've prioritized the PSP :D
#25 Posted by yakov456 (1918 posts) -

I play my PSP much more than my DS. It has a more appealing library to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.