Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur V

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jan 31, 2012

Set seventeen years after Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V introduces a number of new characters to the roster and offers new gameplay tweaks and online enhancements.

A Tale of Souls and Swords Eternally Retold

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 15

Edited By Habast

By now, most of the people who are reading this probably know that the next game of the Soul Calibur series is well underway.  I'm going to address some questions about the game, features I want to see, and features already announced and my opinions on then. 

So, why make another Soul Calibur game? 

Firstly, there are still many fans of the series (myself included), and when there's still money to be made, Namco will milk it for everything its worth. 

Secondly, Soul Calibur's fighting system and overall "feel" is an itch that no other fighting game can scratch. I love Tekken and Street Fighter, but Soul Calibur fulfills its own niche in the genre that I would definitely miss. It is undoubtedly my favorite fighting game series. 

Third... Well, that's pretty much it. SC kicks ass and needs another game. 

What will be different this time around? 

So far, it has been announced that the following changes are taking place: 

1. The game is taking place 17 years after the last game, so a lot of the cast will be new characters (roughly half, I'm told) . I think this was a good idea. It gives the game the chance to be fresh and new feeling.
    2. Critical Finishes are going bye-bye, and being replaced with Critical Edges. These will be super attacks similar to those used in Street Fighter.  I think this is a good change, for sure.
    3. Soul Crushes also seem to not be present, the previous spot on the screen it occupied being replaced by a super meter for Critical Edges. While I'm glad Critical Finishes are going... I'm not sure I like the fact that they're taking away a punishment for guarding too much. Some people are just ridiculous with it. 

So, which characters have been confirmed so far?

Returning characters 
    Siegfried 
    Mitsurugi 
    Ivy  

New characters 
    Patroklos (Sophitia's son) 
    Pyyrah (Sophitia's daughter) 
    Natsu (a disciple of Taki's) 
    Zwei (a character unrelated to previous characters, at least to my knowledge) 

Veterans who I don't think will be returning 
    Sophitia (her children both fight with sword&shield, so I think it is unlikely she or her sister Cassandra will return) 
    Cassandra (read above) 
    Taki (Natsu seems to have replaced her) 
    Rock (I'm thinking that his son, Bangoo, will replace him) 
    Raphael (much to my dismay, my main will likely be replaced by Amy)

Characters I think we will see make the cut
    Bangoo (read above section) 
    Amy (it seems it is inevitable that she will replace Raphael and be the only fencer...) 

Others... I'm not too sure about. What do you think? 

Habast, how are you so awesome? I want to be like you!

That doesn't have anything to do with the game, but thanks. I'm flattered. 

Sorry, excuse my failed attempt at narcissistic humor.  
    Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Habast

By now, most of the people who are reading this probably know that the next game of the Soul Calibur series is well underway.  I'm going to address some questions about the game, features I want to see, and features already announced and my opinions on then. 

So, why make another Soul Calibur game? 

Firstly, there are still many fans of the series (myself included), and when there's still money to be made, Namco will milk it for everything its worth. 

Secondly, Soul Calibur's fighting system and overall "feel" is an itch that no other fighting game can scratch. I love Tekken and Street Fighter, but Soul Calibur fulfills its own niche in the genre that I would definitely miss. It is undoubtedly my favorite fighting game series. 

Third... Well, that's pretty much it. SC kicks ass and needs another game. 

What will be different this time around? 

So far, it has been announced that the following changes are taking place: 

1. The game is taking place 17 years after the last game, so a lot of the cast will be new characters (roughly half, I'm told) . I think this was a good idea. It gives the game the chance to be fresh and new feeling.
    2. Critical Finishes are going bye-bye, and being replaced with Critical Edges. These will be super attacks similar to those used in Street Fighter.  I think this is a good change, for sure.
    3. Soul Crushes also seem to not be present, the previous spot on the screen it occupied being replaced by a super meter for Critical Edges. While I'm glad Critical Finishes are going... I'm not sure I like the fact that they're taking away a punishment for guarding too much. Some people are just ridiculous with it. 

So, which characters have been confirmed so far?

Returning characters 
    Siegfried 
    Mitsurugi 
    Ivy  

New characters 
    Patroklos (Sophitia's son) 
    Pyyrah (Sophitia's daughter) 
    Natsu (a disciple of Taki's) 
    Zwei (a character unrelated to previous characters, at least to my knowledge) 

Veterans who I don't think will be returning 
    Sophitia (her children both fight with sword&shield, so I think it is unlikely she or her sister Cassandra will return) 
    Cassandra (read above) 
    Taki (Natsu seems to have replaced her) 
    Rock (I'm thinking that his son, Bangoo, will replace him) 
    Raphael (much to my dismay, my main will likely be replaced by Amy)

Characters I think we will see make the cut
    Bangoo (read above section) 
    Amy (it seems it is inevitable that she will replace Raphael and be the only fencer...) 

Others... I'm not too sure about. What do you think? 

Habast, how are you so awesome? I want to be like you!

That doesn't have anything to do with the game, but thanks. I'm flattered. 

Sorry, excuse my failed attempt at narcissistic humor.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.