Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Space

Location » linked to 1795 games

Space, the Final Frontier, the focal point and main location of space faring games, from Asteroids to the Mass Effect series.

"This is a harbinger of things to come," Earth 2, the Reckoning

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By FunExplosions
    There's a floating object in an astronomically close proximity to the Earth. This object is three times larger than the Earth, but maintains a perfect orbiting distance from its sun, and is just old enough that it likely holds water. Water, wherever else its been found (Earth), is always accompanied by life. Cool thing about it? Its orbit around its sun is directly comparable to Luna's (Earth's moon) orbit around the Earth, meaning that it always faces its sun with the same point, therefore eliminating the day/night cycle. Light or Darkness can be eternal in the Gliese system, and it's all up to you! 

It's 20 light years away. That is extremely close, all things considered, but still not a distance feasible by any man-made craft - present or future. With this discovery, though, astronomers believe it is now far more likely for them to find more planets just like Gliese.

Photo taken by Gliese astronaut:

No Caption Provided
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FunExplosions
    There's a floating object in an astronomically close proximity to the Earth. This object is three times larger than the Earth, but maintains a perfect orbiting distance from its sun, and is just old enough that it likely holds water. Water, wherever else its been found (Earth), is always accompanied by life. Cool thing about it? Its orbit around its sun is directly comparable to Luna's (Earth's moon) orbit around the Earth, meaning that it always faces its sun with the same point, therefore eliminating the day/night cycle. Light or Darkness can be eternal in the Gliese system, and it's all up to you! 

It's 20 light years away. That is extremely close, all things considered, but still not a distance feasible by any man-made craft - present or future. With this discovery, though, astronomers believe it is now far more likely for them to find more planets just like Gliese.

Photo taken by Gliese astronaut:

No Caption Provided
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By blair

It's finally happening.  Stuff like this always gets me psyched.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Potter9156

I don't see any flying cars in that photo. Planet sucks.  

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

NASA are gonna be pissed when this thing turns out to be a viral advertisement by Mountain Dew to promote their new flavour.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I can't wait until we have the technology to scan the planet for life.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By blair
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " NASA are gonna be pissed when this thing turns out to be a viral advertisement by Mountain Dew to promote their new flavour. "
    Hahah.  "Gliese Ocean.  Thirsty yet?"

That's the slogan.  It just happened.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Death_Unicorn: Well, the main thing is to just find out for certain if there's water on the planet. If there's water, it's almost a certainty - given the planet's other characteristics - that there's life there. Unless, of course, all life on Earth originated from some asteroid.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @FunExplosions: I wouldn't base the first conclusion of life on another planet solely on if there is water. I would rather have definitive proof, and then we can take steps and declare that any planet in the habitable zone with water, will most definitively have life. I mean Europa might have a liquid ocean, I don't think that makes it full proof it will have life. I am a firm believer in life in other planets, but I'd want to make the first discovery of life definitive, is all.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Also, somewhat relevant, here's an interesting article on how the first 10 out of the 20 amino acids that DNA codes for may be able to form extremely easily, which is awesome. Sadly, I still don't know if DNA itself is an easily occurring phenomenon.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By Symphony

Sounds pretty spiffy.  Of course this begs the question -- when are Richard Branson and Virgin Galactic gonna start selling tickets for trips there? 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Symphony said:
    " Sounds pretty spiffy.  Of course this begs the question -- when are Richard Branson and Virgin Galactic gonna start selling tickets for trips there?  "
    I donno. Sounds like a good idea. We propel rockets at the system as fast as the future can. Years and years later, humble aliens of another planet are pelted by hunks of metal filled with dead aliens. Hilarity and alien television sitcoms entail. 

@Death_Unicorn:
    To be honest, when I say, "Well, there's water... so there's life," that's really just me being as optimistic as possible, denying myself the more-likely reality that our existence is indeed rare, and although other life forms could generate, us witnessing an alien is far from likely (and yeah, I've seen those optimistic astronomers say "20 years!" on the Discovery channel). At least within our lifetime. 
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @FunExplosions: Even though I would love visual proof of life in our lifetime, I'd just ask for some type of proof of life at the end of our lifetime. Doesn't need to be complex life, microbial would do just fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.