Is anyone else surprised by the lack of major media backlash?

#1 Posted by Zenogiasu (193 posts) -

On the merit that the majority of the game consists of killing American soldiers--brutally, in some cases--is no one else surprised that Fox News/CNN/take your pick hasn't picked up on, and subsequently bastardized this game yet? Or did they, and I just missed it?

I've been looking for the "New Video Game is American Soldier-Killing Simulator" headlines, but nothing's turned up. Weird how naked aliens can get such a rise out of some conservative zealots, but this sort of thing is given a pass. Not that I'm complaining, of course--there's no doubt in my mind that The Line would be woefully misrepresented by any major news outlet. I'm just surprised, is all. Are you?

#2 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

because it sold like shit? the same way no one cared about the fact that you could have teenagers shooting themselves in the head in persona 3 and no one cared?

Online
#3 Posted by believer258 (12017 posts) -

A) It didn't sell and B) that sort of thing doesn't seem to get the same rise out of people it once did. Sure, it makes us gamers hate it with a passion, but almost everyone else seems to just sigh, roll their eyes, and get back to shooting their best friends on Call of Duty.

Look, it's gotten to the point where the average gamer is 30 some-odd years old. These are the same 30 some-odds that are watching the news all of the time - why would they want to shed their audience's newfound hobby in a bad light? I don't doubt it happening again but it will never make the same waves that Grand Theft Auto 3 did.

#4 Posted by pyrodactyl (2202 posts) -

sold like shit, doesn't depict real world events, sex nowhere to be seen

Fox news doesn't care about violent video games unless they're very popular or they try to recreate real events.

#5 Posted by Hunkulese (2795 posts) -

Caring about violence in video games is so 2005

#6 Posted by CaLe (4023 posts) -

What's wrong with killing American soldiers? A soldier is a soldier, they are there to be killed.

Online
#7 Edited by Rapid (1382 posts) -

I was surprised that Fox didn't get nuts about the "SEX" in the Witcher / Witcher 2, considering their reaction to Mass Effect 1 lol

I think its about how mainstream attention, and sales a game has that determines if it gets targeted by the big "news broadcasters".

Or maybe... just maybe.... the world has moved on...?? =P

#8 Posted by Edraii (59 posts) -

@Rapid said:

I was surprised that Fox didn't get nuts about the "SEX" in the Witcher / Witcher 2, considering their reaction to Mass Effect 1 lol

I think its about how mainstream attention, and sales a game has that determines if it gets targeted by the big "news broadcasters".

Or maybe... just maybe.... the world has moved on...?? =P

Fox moving on... okay...

#9 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I've just realised something. Spec Ops: The Line was developed by YAGER which is a German company and if I remember correctly Germany has very heavy censorship when it comes to violence in entertainment mediums. Wonder how they got the greenlight for this since Spec Ops is probably one of the more graphic games I've played in a while.

#10 Posted by AuthenticM (3765 posts) -

Not really; there wasn't any sex in it.

Online
#11 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3438 posts) -

@eroticfishcake: For all we know it's not even out in Germany!

#12 Posted by JeanLuc (3592 posts) -

Its not big enough in the main stream for the large media to give it any attention. Huge games like Mass Effect and games made by Rockstar are what get noticed.

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Because not all games need to be smacked around in the Media? 

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

I think the Emirates banned it because it dared to show their slave labour dog-and-pony show as a beautiful, empty shell.

#15 Posted by Milkman (17068 posts) -

Because there isn't any alien side boob.

Or is there?!

Online
#16 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1328 posts) -

A game has to be pretty big to catch the attention of media dink heads. They don't often rail against japanese sex/dating sims do they? Yet when a very popular game has SLIGHT adult themes of any kind, or anything that could be considered adult if you were squinting your eyes while being hit in the face by 3 large mouth bass, the media jumps all over it hoping to pump ratings by being 'noble' and 'for the family'.

#17 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I think the Emirates banned it because it dared to show their slave labour dog-and-pony show as a beautiful, empty shell.

Correct. Spec Ops: The Line is banned in UAE.

Because no one gives a fuck about Dubai. I live in Dubai and I don't give a fuck about Dubai.

#18 Edited by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Maybe because of the deeper meaning of the storyline. Spec Ops: The Line doesn't glorify violence, nor does it exploit it. The violence that occurs is not the center of the game, it's just a device to illustrate Walker's downfall.

And, well, it sold like shit.

#19 Posted by LikeaSsur (1570 posts) -

You can kill children in Dragon's Dogma, but no one is raising arms about it. Even the media knows that you only attack AAA, well-known titles.

#20 Posted by peritus (1056 posts) -

Arabs, asians, Europeans, Hispanic, aliens, zombies, these are all A-ok to murder in games, i dont see why americans should be any different.

As long as people realise it's a game. not for realsiez!

But then again, you guys do have some really dumb news shows ;p

#21 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1009 posts) -

It just doesn't have the popularity to raise the media to notice; remember the media is a business too and it makes said money off clicks or views of it's article/story. A game no one outside of the gaming culture that doesn't sell 10 million copies won't do that. Had it been Call of Duty however, then it'd be huge. 

#22 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I'm actually surprised any time the media freaks out over a game for any reason. You'd think there would be more important things they could be talking about.

#23 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

There's nothing special about shooting soldiers.

#24 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

I'm actually surprised any time the media freaks out over a game for any reason. You'd think there would be more important things they could be talking about.

Yeah, like the Stewart/Pattinson split.

/sarcasm

#25 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
@Morrow said:

@Jrinswand said:

I'm actually surprised any time the media freaks out over a game for any reason. You'd think there would be more important things they could be talking about.

Yeah, like the Stewart/Pattinson split.

/sarcasm

IKNORITE?! How could she?!
#26 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

@Morrow said:

@Jrinswand said:

I'm actually surprised any time the media freaks out over a game for any reason. You'd think there would be more important things they could be talking about.

Yeah, like the Stewart/Pattinson split.

/sarcasm

IKNORITE?! How could she?!

You mean how could HE, she's just a 22-yo woman, but that director guy is 41, he should know better PLUS he is married and has two kids!!!111

Oh, the gossip.

#27 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
@Morrow said:

@Jrinswand said:

@Morrow said:

@Jrinswand said:

I'm actually surprised any time the media freaks out over a game for any reason. You'd think there would be more important things they could be talking about.

Yeah, like the Stewart/Pattinson split.

/sarcasm

IKNORITE?! How could she?!

You mean how could HE, she's just a 22-yo woman, but that director guy is 41, he should know better PLUS he is married and has two kids!!!111

Oh, the gossip.

True, true. Can't have the double standards.
#28 Posted by TheHT (11549 posts) -

@Rapid said:

I was surprised that Fox didn't get nuts about the "SEX" in the Witcher / Witcher 2, considering their reaction to Mass Effect 1 lol

I think its about how mainstream attention, and sales a game has that determines if it gets targeted by the big "news broadcasters".

Or maybe... just maybe.... the world has moved on...?? =P

With Mass Effect, there was opportunity for misrepresentation. If they went after The Witcher games, the devs would just come out and say "yeah, there's boobs and bush and sex and violence, we meant to do that". At which point the games suddenly see a spike in sales.

#29 Posted by oneidwille (151 posts) -

...popularity...

Also, no on CNN/FOX probably played it.

#30 Posted by PhantomGardener (464 posts) -

@Daiphyer said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think the Emirates banned it because it dared to show their slave labour dog-and-pony show as a beautiful, empty shell.

Correct. Spec Ops: The Line is banned in UAE.

Because no one gives a fuck about Dubai. I live in Dubai and I don't give a fuck about Dubai.

I'm going to Dubai for my summer vacation..

#31 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

@PhantomGardener said:

@Daiphyer said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think the Emirates banned it because it dared to show their slave labour dog-and-pony show as a beautiful, empty shell.

Correct. Spec Ops: The Line is banned in UAE.

Because no one gives a fuck about Dubai. I live in Dubai and I don't give a fuck about Dubai.

I'm going to Dubai for my summer vacation..

You are going to hang out in the desert over the summer? Great plan.

#32 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

Has anyone who has a copy of this game killed someone ? If the answer is no then it'm not supriced. Unless they have something to blame on the game mainstrean media could give a fuck about video games .

#33 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@PhantomGardener said:

@Daiphyer said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think the Emirates banned it because it dared to show their slave labour dog-and-pony show as a beautiful, empty shell.

Correct. Spec Ops: The Line is banned in UAE.

Because no one gives a fuck about Dubai. I live in Dubai and I don't give a fuck about Dubai.

I'm going to Dubai for my summer vacation..

You are going to hang out in the desert over the summer? Great plan.

Yeah, I would advise against it. The temperature here can reach 110-120F. It's not a pleasant experience.

#34 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

@Daiphyer said:

@mtcantor said:

@PhantomGardener said:

@Daiphyer said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think the Emirates banned it because it dared to show their slave labour dog-and-pony show as a beautiful, empty shell.

Correct. Spec Ops: The Line is banned in UAE.

Because no one gives a fuck about Dubai. I live in Dubai and I don't give a fuck about Dubai.

I'm going to Dubai for my summer vacation..

You are going to hang out in the desert over the summer? Great plan.

Yeah, I would advise against it. The temperature here can reach 110-120F. It's not a pleasant experience.

I'll bet it's a dry heat.

#35 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -

@mtcantor: Actually, no, it's worse. It's very humid here, so you'll sweat a shit ton, and the sun will evaporate the sweat, turning you into a walking BBQ.

#36 Posted by PhantomGardener (464 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@PhantomGardener said:

@Daiphyer said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think the Emirates banned it because it dared to show their slave labour dog-and-pony show as a beautiful, empty shell.

Correct. Spec Ops: The Line is banned in UAE.

Because no one gives a fuck about Dubai. I live in Dubai and I don't give a fuck about Dubai.

I'm going to Dubai for my summer vacation..

You are going to hang out in the desert over the summer? Great plan.

lol I dunno why I wrote summer vacation.. Since I'm not going until the end of September, its been a long day.

#37 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

No because no one cares about Spec Ops: The Line.....if it was Call of Duty that had a plot line like this the media would care more.

#38 Posted by mpgeist (639 posts) -

They're too busy fighting over politics right now.

#39 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

The game has even worse than that in it, too. When I was messing around, looking at the source files, I came across an unused texture for a nipple.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.