Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spec Ops: The Line

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 26, 2012

Spec Ops: The Line is a narrative-driven modern military third-person shooter set in Dubai during the aftermath of a series of destructive sandstorms.

Is it worth a shot?

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CouncilorChief

So, I've been hearing quite a bit about this game. A lot of mixed reactions mostly, many praised the story but criticized the gameplay. And some even criticized the story to be heavy handed and forced. It still caught my attention after I've heard it's inspired by the classic book Heart of Darkness and the movie based on the book Apocalypse Now.

Is it worth playing? If yes, then should I buy it or rent it?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By falserelic

The campaign was fun but short. Some of the set pieces was cool. The story was interesting and has a wtf ending. The moral choices in the game doe's make you think if your doing the right thing or not. Overall the game was decent it has its shortcomings, and I strongly recommend renting the game or buying it cheap.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

@CouncilorChief: I'd say buy it when it drops in price, and when the hype around the game has died. There's nothing worse than playing a game with other peoples' expectations, and then being disappointed and eventually resentful. Give it some time to drop in price, and then pick it up.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

If you have a PC it's on sale right now on Amazon for 25 bucks. Picked it up myself actually.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DoctorTran

@Sackmanjones said:

If you have a PC it's on sale right now on Amazon for 25 bucks. Picked it up myself actually.

Same here. I'm about two hours in and I have to say, worth it.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Regardless what anyone says, if you're on a fence there's reason to be concerned because with Metacritic's tally of all site and user scores, it averages only about 7.5/10, and that's with the waffling on whether the story or gameplay is the meat of what's worthwhile. I take the atypical response and say the gameplay is what's worthwhile. I don't find the moral dilemma based story immersive with such arcade gameplay where you have no choice but to engage in relentless killing.

I've played on all difficulty levels trying all player decisions and the few moral choices you have in the game are very superficial and don't really change the outcome much, except for the final decision, and that's just a different cutscene which results in skipping the epilogue scene. Though I liked the gameplay, the overall product did feel no better than 7.5/10 to me, so I think the scores Metacritc put up are accurate. A 7.5/10 title isn't worth $50, maybe more like $30 at best. So I'd wait till it drops.

RUKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RUKM

@falserelic: Multiplayer?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Sackmanjones said:
    Oh you're already finished putting together a PC? Congratz! You should blog about it! 

On-topic, answering the question "Is it worth playing?" the answer is no, because the gameplay is very weak and boring. Is it worth witnessing, though? (On Youtube) Absolutely. But that's my opinion.
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By falserelic

@RUKM said:

@falserelic: Multiplayer?

If you have the game on ps3 then sure. Send me your username and I'll send a invite.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Sackmanjones said:
    Oh you're already finished putting together a PC? Congratz! You should blog about it! 

On-topic, answering the question "Is it worth playing?" the answer is no, because the gameplay is very weak and boring. Is it worth witnessing, though? (On Youtube) Absolutely. But that's my opinion.
    Yup! got my PC all set up and going (except I'm currently at my parents so I don't have my monitor but thats ok). It doesn't set the world on fire but it plays mostly everything to date all the way cranked up! 
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bybeach

@DoctorTran said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Damn it's the download service. Sounds like their download service is functioning though. My own take isn't much different from what some others are saying, questioned( but not failing) gameplay and story dependent....best be assauged that you did not pay full price for it. What I am yelling at myself for is if I ever ever buy another MW game,for discount even. Black OPs..I'll check it out but I am burrrrrrrned on MW and War shooters in general.. And that is the only thing I find compelling about the Line, it at least turns part of that on it's head. That and I feel it will be a better game on PC than what Jeff experienced.

RUKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RUKM

@falserelic: No i mean is it any good?

dskillzhtown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By dskillzhtown

@Sackmanjones said:

Same. I am really enjoying it so far. It cost me a bit ti build this PC, but sales have made it worth it.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falserelic
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#15  Edited By Soap

It's a pretty decent game, kind of on the short side and yeah some of the story stuff felt a bit forced at times.

(One set piece in particular I saw coming a mile away and tried to stop, but the game simply wouldn't progress until I did it)

But overall it's a good ride, worth a rent at least and the ending was actually pretty decent and took me by surprise which is rare in games nowadays.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DoctorTran

@bybeach said:

@DoctorTran said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Damn it's the download service. Sounds like their download service is functioning though. My own take isn't much different from what some others are saying, questioned( but not failing) gameplay and story dependent....best be assauged that you did not pay full price for it. What I am yelling at myself for is if I ever ever buy another MW game,for discount even. Black OPs..I'll check it out but I am burrrrrrrned on MW and War shooters in general.. And that is the only thing I find compelling about the Line, it at least turns part of that on it's head. That and I feel it will be a better game on PC than what Jeff experienced.

You can take the CD code they provide you and redeem it on Steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.