Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

As a brave, but fragile adventurer, explore dangerous procedurally-generated caves to collect treasure and gain better equipment, before dying horribly and starting all over again.

Bad beat stories

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cthomer5000

So I reach 4-2 for only the 3rd time ever (when attemping to get to the City Of Gold) and...

Game: "I can't see a thing."

Me: "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!"

I manage to last until the ghost appears while frantically moving the scepter and the torch trying to find the exit to the city of gold... but eventually get crushed.

I want to break something right now. Needed to vent. over 1,000 attempts and still haven't reached the city of gold.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By crcruz3

I know exactly what you mean. When I was trying to take the key to tunnel man and was doing a good run the "I can't see a thing" used to drive me crazy!

I finally did it and I'm trying to reach the City of Gold myself now...

Best of luck, fellow Spelunker!!!

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cthomer5000

Just got back there again and... "I can't see a thing!"

Unreal. This game is fucking with me.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By posh

that has to be this game's equivalent of the asteroid field/the sun in FTL

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By joshthebear

Ugh, taking that goddamned key to Tunnel Man is a nightmare. I, for the life of me, cannot get luck to go my way at all.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crcruz3
    @joshthebear
    Ugh, taking that goddamned key to Tunnel Man is a nightmare. I, for the life of me, cannot get luck to go my way at all.
    Patience. I was very close twice, freaked out and died.
    Then, one glorious day, made a very good run (with compass and cape) and got there smoothly. Couldn't believe it myself.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikeGosot

@cthomer5000 said:

"I can't see a thing" events do not happen if you're quick enough in the previous level. This was made to prevent frustating speed runs, but i like to use it as a strategy. I call it "RUN! RUN! RUN! I HUNGER for gold".

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cthomer5000

@MikeGosot said:

@cthomer5000 said:

"I can't see a thing" events do not happen if you're quick enough in the previous level. This was made to prevent frustating speed runs, but i like to use it as a strategy. I call it "RUN! RUN! RUN! I HUNGER for gold".

I need to kill Anubis in 4-1 though, so you can only move as fast as that allows basically. If i don't get him in 4-1, is he in 4-2?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikeGosot

@cthomer5000 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@cthomer5000 said:

I need to kill Anubis in 4-1 though, so you can only move as fast as that allows basically. If i don't get him in 4-1, is he in 4-2?

I dunno if Anubis spawns in 4-2, but i think two bombs can kill him. Anubis II is trickier, but get into the City Of Gold first...

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crcruz3

@cthomer5000 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@cthomer5000 said:

Anubis is in 4-1 only. I was obsessed about killing him 2 weeks ago and found that the best way is using sticky bombs, using Tiki Traps or the shotgun.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot

@crcruz3: You know, that's the ONLY situation where i like using sticky bombs.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crcruz3

@MikeGosot said:

@crcruz3: You know, that's the ONLY situation where i like using sticky bombs.

Yeah, pretty much the same here. I avoid them most of the time.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By cloudymusic

I've never quite gotten to the City of Gold, though I'm getting close. Dark Temple levels have been the bane of my runs so far, though I have a special personal hatred for dark+spider nest Mines levels.

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By majorchin

I was super-pissed when I reached Olmec, killed him for the first time and then realized I was unable to exit the level because he destroyed the blocks underneath the door. I spent a good 25 minutes trying to exit that door to no avail. I don't know if the game not creating its own platform under the door was a glitch or if it's intentional on stage 4-4.

I vowed to beat the game without using shortcuts, although I unlocked all of them. It took me 1187 attempts but I did it. Now to get to the City of Gold and to beat Hell...

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cthomer5000

@crcruz3 said:

@cthomer5000 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@cthomer5000 said:

Anubis is in 4-1 only. I was obsessed about killing him 2 weeks ago and found that the best way is using sticky bombs, using Tiki Traps or the shotgun.

Yeah i found this out the hard way yesterday. Hurried through 4-1 because i was paranoid about another 'I can't see a thing!' 4-2. So i roamed around and realized Anubis was not there... then was furious, then calmly turned off the XBOX 360.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cthomer5000

6th time reaching 4-2 with everything.... "I can't see a thing!"

Unfuckingbeliveable. Little I can do when i have to hunt to find Anubis all over 4-1.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HerbieBug

This game is good. It really is. But i hate it. It is like game specifically designed to make me irrationally furious. D:

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cthomer5000

@HerbieBug said:

This game is good. It really is. But i hate it. It is like game specifically designed to make me irrationally furious. D:

Agreed. I have played it so much, and i think it was my #3 of 2012 (might be willing to move it to 2 or 1 at this point, but i feel like smashing my controller every time i get fucked on 4-2.

I am over 1,000 attempts at this point, with like 350 of those specifically targeted at getting to the city of gold. I can't put it down but it's killing me.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cthomer5000

Made it to the city of gold!

Recovered the book of the dead, killed Anubis 2, killed Olmec, but then didnt have him in the right spot and died trying to enter Hell (i didnt realize there wasn't a ledge there and fell to my death).

Optimistic i'll get there soon now though. Huge relief having actually made it to the city of gold! I feel like the pressure is off for that portion now.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By mikey87144

So I originally bought this game on PS3 but as I have been spending most of my time on PC I re-bought it when it went on sale. I made it to the ice level once on PS3 but I've done it three times on PC. Once because of a combination of luck and more luck. Another time on one of the daily challenges, (and you can't even talk to tunnel man), and another time today. Well today I had a great run. I sacrificed a bunch of damsels and those cave dudes and had 11 hearts. I also got the glasses and got bombs and a compass. Needless to say the Ice level was a cake walk. I finished each level in less than 30 seconds and finally got to world 4. Never seen it before. So the idol works differently in each section. Caves (bolder), jungle (disappearing ramp), ice (don't know?) and world 4... I didn't know the ceilings came down. I panicked and died 5 seconds into world 4.

Fuck this game.

I still love it though.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I never did post it here but I eventually beat the game the hard way about 6 months ago, and have done it a bunch since then. I've got all the achievements except the 0 gold run.

That achievement seems semi-impossible, as the darkness levels seem to happen at literally 20x the frequency, no matter how quickly you finish the levels. And darkness levels when you cant even light the torches (because they spit out gold) is damn near impossible.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I just started playing again thanks to Spleunkin' with Scoops. When this first hit Xbox Live, I played a little bit, terribly, and never got out of the mines. I still haven't, but I've made it farther than ever thanks to starting to really understand the game and what it expects of the player. Had a heartbreaking, completely self-inflicted bad beat tonight.

I was on 1-4. I had the Eye. I found a shopkeeper and had 11000, or 1 grand less than I needed for the first item available, the cape. I gambled on a mystery box...and got a shotgun. I'd been playing carefully and kind of slowly. I took a few steps out of the shop and saw the exit just below me on the far left of the level. As I jumped down, I saw a crate to my right and headed that way. Still just a few steps from the exit, I saw the message "A terrible chill runs up your spine." Like an idiot, I moved towards the crate hoping the ghost was coming from the right. It wasn't. I got three ropes...and destroyed by that bastard with my first shotgun doing nothing. And it was all my greedy self's fault.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, just finished the "Low Scorer" achievement (no gold or gems of any kind) to 100% the game on XBOX. Literally the greatest video game achievement of my life.

My hands were honestly shaking as i had to make some pretty risky maneuvers right at the end with no bombs to spare vs Olmec. Also, the teleporter came up HUGE in a few levels. Thank you Patrick for emboldening me to even use it. #esports

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Holy shit, just finished the "Low Scorer" achievement (no gold or gems of any kind) to 100% the game on XBOX. Literally the greatest video game achievement of my life.

My hands were honestly shaking as i had to make some pretty risky maneuvers right at the end with no bombs to spare vs Olmec. Also, the teleporter came up HUGE in a few levels. Thank you Patrick for emboldening me to even use it. #esports

That's amazing. I tried low scorer, I managed to get past the mines. I really underestimated how fucking harrrrrrd that achievement is - it's suddenly as though there are 10 times as many obstacles that you have to avoid D:

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cthomer5000 said:

That's amazing. I tried low scorer, I managed to get past the mines. I really underestimated how fucking harrrrrrd that achievement is - it's suddenly as though there are 10 times as many obstacles that you have to avoid D:

The jungle is a fucking nightmare for that achievement. And you often have to sit there pondering something for 10 seconds while weighing up the risk. Because there is usually some really tempting stuff, but a lot of associated risk. I also never thought I'd be able to do without either :

1. Robbing a shopkeeper for bombs

2. Having the jetpack (or at least cape)

In the end i did it with only paste, compass, teleporter.

I kept carrying the teleporter with me because there was nothing better. I used it once in the jungle to avoid a nightmare passing of tiki traps and frogs, but i needed it 3 times on one level in the Temple (4-1) because of Anubis boxing me in right from the start. I also knew i needed every bomb i had to even have a CHANCE vs Olmec.

I had reached Olmec earlier in the day (somehow making it through back-to-back dark levels too), but only had 2 bombs. I spent about 15 minutes getting him to pound out some holes, but i eventually misjudged his path and cornered myself.

Also, playing it that way made me notice a lot of stuff i hadn't really taken note of earlier; the treetops in the Jungle can have a single gold bar completely hidden from view, the ice caves vary between dry and snowy (snowy being again much harder to deal with because a single gold bar can be pretty much impossible to see), the ice caves without spike boots is SUPER dangerous for accidentally sliding into gold or gems, the aliens are a goddamn nightmare for blowing stuff up an having gold go flying, etc.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I just had 40 bombs and a shotgun along with enough items to make their icons smaller than normal when I killed Anubis II while simultaneously jetpacking into a tiki trap.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just had 40 bombs and a shotgun along with enough items to make their icons smaller than normal when I killed Anubis II while simultaneously jetpacking into a tiki trap.

LOL, i've been there. One of my better fails was accidentally hitting the A button again to stop my slow descent with the cape, dropping me straight into the lava where i had cleared a giant whole for Olmec to fall into. I actually laughed out loud it was so insanely stupid.

Also, pro tip on Anubis II - spot the exit from the city of gold before grabbing the book of the dead, snag it and quickly run out, then deal with Anubis II at the start of the Olmec level. Super easy to take him out in that open space, or even fly/rope your way to the upper levels and take him out there (shotgun works too).

It takes a lot of stress out of dealing with him.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@cthomer5000: I had pitchers mit and sticky bombs with plenty of space. I spawn him and hit him with 2 bombs and got away from the blast. No stress needed. He's dead before he leaves the book room. I just got too far away and into a trap.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched Chris Remo get robbed. He was about to open the door to the City of Gold... with almost every item and about 60 bombs. He threw a sticky bomb on a crush trap and then moved to the other side of a wall to be safe. The trap slammed against the wall he was hiding behind. Instead of blowing up when it got crushed or being pushed to a legal place, the bomb glitched inside the block right next to him. I barely had time to even notice what happened before he blew up.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Furthermore, fuck.

I got up to Yama, I had 66 lives, a jetpack, and pitchers mitt. Then I got hit by a spikeball out of nowhere...

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ChrisHarris

I ruined my daily challenge Yama attempt tonight with a bug I was not aware of:

I thought it would be funny to die by sacrificing myself. It just teleported my corpse inside the Moai head, then I respawned at the entrance... with only 1 heart and no hedjet. Don't risk it, at least until they fix the bug.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.