Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

As a brave, but fragile adventurer, explore dangerous procedurally-generated caves to collect treasure and gain better equipment, before dying horribly and starting all over again.

Controls too sensitive (PS4)??

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I just downloaded the ps4 version of this game and I can barely play it, I find the controls WAY too sensitive and am jumping all over.

Keep in mind, I've played A LOT of Spelunky, over 100 hours, and can get to Yama at will on PC with Xbox 360 and One controllers and I found no difference playing with those so it seems weird to me that the game feels so different on ps4 to me. Anyone else feel this way??

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rory mentioned something on Twitter about this same issue just recently. I'll have to wait and see after I download it tonight.

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't comment on the PS4 version, but the PS3 one handles fine with the d pad.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

I play every day on Vita, but I actually liked the feel on PS4. It felt somewhat different but I just chalked it up to playing on a big screen for the first time.

On the dpad, by the way. I only forced myself to play platformers with sticks on the 360 because of that garbage dpad.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing this more I find it playable with the D-pad but find the stick still to be WAY too sensitive. I always played with the stick on the 360 controller, but I don't think I'll be able to for this version.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Can't say I'm into the minutiae of spelunky enough to notice. Seemed to play fine IMO.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Never played spelunky with a 360 controller, D-Pad seems fine on the ps4

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having to use the d-pad on ps4 too because of the sticks feeling weird, the main thing throwing me off is that R1 is run and L1 is enter doors. Despite playing a lot of Spelunky on 360 I can't remember what the buttons were there, but this feels wrong to me.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rorie's tweet suggested he was playing it with the analogue stick, which is mental. D-pad son.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Yeah, it's definitely tougher for me to play than on Vita. I'm a stick player on Vita (the d-pad obviously being for casual players, or perhaps Australians) and switching to the stick on the pad proved troublesome last night. Doing things like pointing a jump over a spike pit and then tapping it up to grab a vine felt really difficult. I didn't have that problem the last time I played on Steam with a 360 controller, considering I actually beat Olmec the single time I played that version of it.

Dunno! It's a great game, though, and I'm glad more people are going to try it out now. But I'll probably stick to the Vita version.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the deal with playing 2D games with an analog stick? Yeah, personal preference and all that, but come on!

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only explanation for using the stick instead of the d-pad is if you were born after 1995 and the oldest console you've played is a N64 or something. People be crazy.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@sodapop7 said:

The only explanation for using the stick instead of the d-pad is if you were born after 1995 and the oldest console you've played is a N64 or something. People be crazy.

No Caption Provided

Or they were born much earlier, maybe played games on the C64 and Amiga, which were usually controlled with joysticks. Digital 8-way sticks rather than analog usually, but still. Moving a stick can probably be more intuitive than the d-pad for people who grew up with those.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Rorie's tweet suggested he was playing it with the analogue stick, which is mental. D-pad son.

What are you.. Australian?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just feel like the stick gives me more touch than I get with the d-pad in Spelunky specifically. (I use the pad in Rogue Legacy, though.) For things like "I'll take damage from this fall unless I manage to move laterally just enough to grab a ledge below me but I'll have to adjust quickly in the air since it's more than a whole screen below me" I can't see myself being able to make the kind of microadjustments needed with the pad. To each his or her own, though.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The stick is really sensitive in my experience. I've never played Spelunky before, but it definitely feels like I'm making a bunch of movements I never intended to. Hopefully I'll get better with practice, because using the Playstation d-pad never felt right to me for some reason.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now look what you've done, Rorie!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.