Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released September 1994

Direct from the comic books to the 16-bit consoles, Spider-Man and Venom join forces against a greater evil: Carnage!

DAMN, that game was hard! Maximum Carnage

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Killer_Babomb
    No Caption Provided

Ahh the 90's, a time of youth, innocents, kick ass song's, and In my opinion, GOOD Saturday morning cartoons. I wont lie, like many children of the 90's I first learned of spider-man through the animated cartoon series (RIP) . I quickly became obsessed with everything spider-man and marvel. One day, after school I went to a friends house, his mom brought in a new game for him "Maximum Carnage" Our small nerd brains became over joyed at the thought of it! We poped it in and started taking turns playing. Quickly plowing through the first level, only the encounter the women of our nightmare's

No Caption Provided

Anyone remember these hair twirling terrors? Knocking you on your ass with a quick and terrifying flip of the hair!

The game only got harder from here, the next level "Climb" I remember the first time I took to the walls and started my journey up, it was bliss! I was playing a game with spider-man, climbing walls and web slinging from side to side! Then, the arrow comes on the screen, A mad dash is mad to the other side only to slam into a window ledge. Then start the climb all over again, only to be blasted by shrieks attack and go tumbling all the way back down to start over again. By the time we made it to the roof top battle, well let's just say it didn't go well do to the massive health loss of the climb.

I never beat this game in my youth, only recently as a 26 year old adult have I finished it.

I know some people will claim "Blah blah blah, its not hard blah blah blah" Well super gamer elite, I salute you!, and Possibly your game game genie too.

I hope to do more pieces of these nature, but I want to avoid the abusive games (Ninja Gaiden ect) until I have no other choice, we all know how hard some of the older games can be. I hope to incudle video as well, but that will not happen until I get the proper equipment. I do not want to use emulators.

So what are your thoughts, Is Maximum carnage a hard game? Or are we just whinny little babies. Look forward to seeing your positive/negative responses.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Killer_Babomb
    No Caption Provided

Ahh the 90's, a time of youth, innocents, kick ass song's, and In my opinion, GOOD Saturday morning cartoons. I wont lie, like many children of the 90's I first learned of spider-man through the animated cartoon series (RIP) . I quickly became obsessed with everything spider-man and marvel. One day, after school I went to a friends house, his mom brought in a new game for him "Maximum Carnage" Our small nerd brains became over joyed at the thought of it! We poped it in and started taking turns playing. Quickly plowing through the first level, only the encounter the women of our nightmare's

No Caption Provided

Anyone remember these hair twirling terrors? Knocking you on your ass with a quick and terrifying flip of the hair!

The game only got harder from here, the next level "Climb" I remember the first time I took to the walls and started my journey up, it was bliss! I was playing a game with spider-man, climbing walls and web slinging from side to side! Then, the arrow comes on the screen, A mad dash is mad to the other side only to slam into a window ledge. Then start the climb all over again, only to be blasted by shrieks attack and go tumbling all the way back down to start over again. By the time we made it to the roof top battle, well let's just say it didn't go well do to the massive health loss of the climb.

I never beat this game in my youth, only recently as a 26 year old adult have I finished it.

I know some people will claim "Blah blah blah, its not hard blah blah blah" Well super gamer elite, I salute you!, and Possibly your game game genie too.

I hope to do more pieces of these nature, but I want to avoid the abusive games (Ninja Gaiden ect) until I have no other choice, we all know how hard some of the older games can be. I hope to incudle video as well, but that will not happen until I get the proper equipment. I do not want to use emulators.

So what are your thoughts, Is Maximum carnage a hard game? Or are we just whinny little babies. Look forward to seeing your positive/negative responses.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By shaunk

Wait you finished it? The only gamefaqs guide that is close to complete for that game even has the author saying he could not beat Carnage. Just like Sub Zero, no body beats Carnage, son.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Killer_Babomb
    NeutralDensity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NeutralDensity

I have beaten it a few times as a kid. Carnage can be tough, especially on the final levels when you cannot call on other heroes for support. It really helps if you look for hidden extra lives, continues, health, and hero tokens throughout most of that game. I did not find the climbing sequence hard, though Doppelganger can be a jerk. Overall, I feel the game can be tough at times, but I have played other games that I consider more difficult. I did not use game genie. I did not even know it existed at the time.

I thought the comic scenes in between levels were cool. :)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Talk about a blast from the past. The closest I got to finishing it was playing as Venom in a Carnage/Shriek boss fight in Central Park. It was hard as hell, but I loved it anyway.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BonOrbitz

When it comes to this game I don't know what's more amazing: Someone beat Carnage or there actually was a good 16-bit Spider-Man game. Anyway, congratulations on your victory!

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sfighter21

Congratulations sir, and well done. I have yet to beat this game (I'm 24). Impossible to beat when I was a kid. Still remains to this day the only other game I've played that I could not beat (Other game is Battle Toads... F that game! Lol. Good times).

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Killer_Babomb

Lord, Battle Toads *cry*

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I bashed my head against that as a kid for the longest time before beating it.

In the haze of my memory, I seem to recall owning a gameboy version as well that was substantially different but still fucking hard...I think?

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shaunk

@bonorbitz said:

When it comes to this game I don't know what's more amazing: Someone beat Carnage or there actually was a good 16-bit Spider-Man game. Anyway, congratulations on your victory!

AND it had an amazing co-op sequel.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

I was just talking to my brother about that game yesterday, or the day before.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Killer_Babomb

There was no gameboy version to my knowledge.

Separation? Bad ass game as well.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sopranosfan

I had to look to make sure but I do remember playing this game but I think it was one of my friends and I don't believe I ever got close to beating it but I remember that red cartridge was awesome.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By wmoyer83

I remember getting pwned by doppelganger in this game.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Karl_Boss

I don't think I ever finished it when I was a kid......some of the bosses were tough.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By galiant

I remember playing it at the mall as a kid...really wanted to get it, but man were SNES games expensive!

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Legend

I played the shit out of this game back in the day, yet I don't think I ever beat it.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Killer_Babomb

@Galiant said:

I remember playing it at the mall as a kid...really wanted to get it, but man were SNES games expensive!

Yes they were, and to think if one is brave enough to go to a flea market, they can be had for very cheap.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BonOrbitz

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@bonorbitz said:

I had no idea there was a sequel. What game was it?

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By cstrang

I never finished it, but I haven't played it since I was like 5.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shaunk

@bonorbitz said:

@bonorbitz said:

I had no idea there was a sequel. What game was it?

Spider-Man and Venom: Separation Anxiety. Generally speaking Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage (the first) is the preferable game and more fun beat em up. But Separation Anxiety was still great AND it had co-op. AND they were both released as red cartridges on the SNES and GEN.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By TheHT

Always wanted to play it after getting Separation Anxiety for the PC, which was pretty difficult too. But me and a mate could roll around as Spidey AND Venom! And I could summon Hawkeye, and 3 other peeps to help me out! And you'd fight a bunch of weird off shoot symbiotes including some hawt yellow lady! One of those games from my youth that'll always have a special place in my heart.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Killer_Babomb

@TheHT said:

Always wanted to play it after getting Separation Anxiety for the PC, which was pretty difficult too. But me and a mate could roll around as Spidey AND Venom! And I could summon Hawkeye, and 3 other peeps to help me out! And you'd fight a bunch of weird off shoot symbiotes including some hawt yellow lady! One of those games from my youth that'll always have a special place in my heart.

Me to man, those two games in particular have some of my fondest memories.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BonOrbitz

@MasturbatingestBear: Considering the characters, I couldn't think of a better name for the title.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shaunk

That game also is one of the few beat em ups of that era that would still be fun to replay with infinite lives. Maybe it is the fact that this series was originally on home consoles rather than arcades which forced them to make the game actual quality.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Killer_Babomb

I would LOVE to see them put these games on PSN errm SEN and XBLA.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Killer_Babomb said:

@Tim_the_Corsair There was no gameboy version to my knowledge.

@MasturbatingestBear Separation? Bad ass game as well.

Separation was one of the first games I remember being excited about in my life.
    shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shaunk

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Killer_Babomb said:

Separation was one of the first games I remember being excited about in my life.

Because this series already included the 3 best characters in Spider-Man. Spider-Man, Venom, and Carnage! Then they added co-op and blew everyone's mind. Also, RED CARTRIDGES!

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Killer_Babomb said:

Because this series already included the 3 best characters in Spider-Man. Spider-Man, Venom, and Carnage! Then they added co-op and blew everyone's mind. Also, RED CARTRIDGES!

I was only 10 in 1995. Sadly I don't remember even playing it.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By TheHT
    @Killer_Babomb said:

@MasturbatingestBear I would LOVE to see them put these games on PSN errm SEN and XBLA.

Oh hell yes. Given some HD treatment with achievements and online co-op. I'd buy that.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Marz

I still hvae this game, it was fun back in the days... I like my red cartridge.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shaunk

@TheHT said:

@Killer_Babomb said:

@MasturbatingestBear I would LOVE to see them put these games on PSN errm SEN and XBLA.

Oh hell yes. Given some HD treatment with achievements and online co-op. I'd buy that.

That would be awesome until I get infuriated that the last achievement I don't have in it, preventing me from a S-Rank, would undoubtedly be something insanely impossible. Like completing the damn game.

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By delusionaltool

WOW!!!!!!! i actually beat this game it took many TRIES as those 3 continues disappear fast...think we were doing a 2 player session and my freind died and i was only one left standing when we beat carnage who was tough , but you have to get alot of hidden lives and stuff there were tons of secrets in some of the levels and they were hard but you would get some health/lives doing it...there was something you could do to get lives/health pickups from carnage he dropped them from time to time...when i beat it and the green jelly music played and credits rolled on the genesis i was so happy i beat this game after countless attempts...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.