Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spore

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2008

Simulate the development and progression of an alien species as it evolves from a single-celled organism to a sapient level, rises up through various stages of civilization, and eventually becomes a space-faring species.

Wright responds to critics reviews + scores...

DJGuardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DJGuardy

Hey everyone, don't really keep the GB account active, but seeing how new posts are made for whenever a major gaming review site releases their rating of Spore, I just thought I'd share something whilst browsing through Google News on the subject.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/

Curious how he mentions the Metacritic and sales of The Sims 2 as a target for the game. Let me know what you guys think!

DJGuardy

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru
     http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/
    "So why is it getting 8s and 9s rather than 10s?"

This is why I hate scores for game reviews... When 8 and 9s aren't good enough, then what is the point of scores?
    "But we looked at the Metacritic scores for “Sims 2″ , which was around 90, and something like “Half-Life“, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life.”
    Uh oh, did he just take a jab at Valve? Ooh, Wright, you daredevil! That brings up a good point though, just because a game gets a really good score does not mean that it will sell well, or sell as well as other games. But, if he is counting all the expansion packs of Sims 2, then that's just not fair.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

If Spore sells as well as The Sims 2 I will be surprised as balls in a basket or easter eggs and cheddar cheese sandwiches!

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lozz
    Kush said:
    "If Spore sells as well as The Sims 2 I will be surprised as balls in a basket or easter eggs and cheddar cheese sandwiches!"
    I agree, it won't do as well as the any of the Sims games.
    Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shocker
    Kush said:
    "If Spore sells as well as The Sims 2 I will be surprised as balls in a basket or easter eggs and cheddar cheese sandwiches!"
    haha me too. There's almost no way it will sell that many.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By xruntime
    "...and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life."

Translation: "We just want the money, we don't care about making a good game. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ah, Capitalism at its finest.

A race to the bottom, it seems.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Colonel_Cool

To be honest, I think the game would have sold more if it had been a more complex game, since people like me wouldn't have been turned off because of the dumbing down, and all the mainstream people would have bought it anyway because of all the hype.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DualReaver

Spore is missing gladiator-styled arenas. That would've made this game ace.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

DualReaver said:
    "Spore is missing gladiator-styled arenas. That would've made this game ace."
    Spore is also missing arena-styled gladiators.  The game might have been a queen.  Maybe a Queen of Spades?
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By jimbo_n

aaah, expectations..what a mess they make. All I get out of this text is that, yea, Will is still one of earths greatest geniouses.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    DualReaver said:
    "Spore is missing gladiator-styled arenas. That would've made this game ace."
    Yeah, dude! You said it. You should be making games for a living, man. Spore death matches? Count me in.
    serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By serbsta

Who cares, personally i think the game was slightly overrated pre-launch.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By mikevanpwn
    xruntime said:
    "
    "...and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life."

"
    You fail at translating.  Spore isn't a poorly made game, its a game that's made to appeal to a wider audience and that's what its saying.  Will Wright wants everyone possible to experience his game but if he makes it tailored to a hardcore player than such a small slice of the audience will ever play it.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By metal_mills
    Kush said:
    I think it'll sell 10 million, not 30 million though. It is already at 1.2 million.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By xruntime
    mikevanpwn said:
    "xruntime said:
    "

"
    You fail at translating.  Spore isn't a poorly made game, its a game that's made to appeal to a wider audience and that's what its saying.  Will Wright wants everyone possible to experience his game but if he makes it tailored to a hardcore player than such a small slice of the audience will ever play it."
    You fail at listening. Did I say it was a poorly made game? No. I haven't even played the game.
    Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Psytek

"8.0, why so low?"

On a scale of ONE to TEN, anything above a 7 is fucking good!!!

Not every game can be a 9+/10, that's just the way it is with everything. The recent rambo film has a 46 on metacritic, you think that stopped bagillions of people from seeing it and liking it. Not every piece of art is a masterpiece, not every movie is a blockbuster, not every book is a bestseller... but they can still be pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.