Square Enix Lifetime Sales Figures

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Square Enix have posted the lifetime sales for it's major franchises. These figures include multiple platform releases, remakes, as well as handheld spin-offs and recent downloadable games. To sum them up it perfectly crudely, Square Enix have made a sh*t load of money.

• Final Fantasy: 85 million (units)
  • Dragon Quest: 47 million
  • Tomb Raider: 30 million*
  • Kingdom Hearts: 12 million
  • Hitman: 8 million*

*These are recent acquisitions via the buy up of UK based Eidos

source:
http://www.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20090422_02en.pdf

#2 Edited by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Almost 200 million there, Square.

#3 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Yay for Kingdom Hearts!

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -
Ossi said:
"Yay for Kingdom Hearts!"
Agreed.
#5 Posted by Axersia (1615 posts) -

Aren't there any Taito franchises that deserve to be up there? (perhaps Space Invaders -- one of the most popular arcade game of all time). Square Enix owns them as well, after all.

I'm a bit saddened that Dragon Quest is lagging behind so much. A few years back DQ was also in the 40s but FF was still in the 60s. Of course, DQ is still more popular than FF in Japan which is why they delayed FFXIII in favor of DQIX (yeah, seems totally bananas in the Western world, doesn't it?).

#6 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
Axersia said:
"Aren't there any Taito franchises that deserve to be up there? (perhaps Space Invaders -- one of the most popular arcade game of all time). Square Enix owns them as well, after all.I'm a bit saddened that Dragon Quest is lagging behind so much. A few years back DQ was also in the 40s but FF was still in the 60s. Of course, DQ is still more popular than FF in Japan which is why they delayed FFXIII in favor of DQIX (yeah, seems totally bananas in the Western world, doesn't it?)."
I actually like DQ more than FF these days. Dragon Quest VIII is better than any Final Fantasy I've played from the PS1 era onward.
#7 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
Axersia said:
"Aren't there any Taito franchises that deserve to be up there? (perhaps Space Invaders -- one of the most popular arcade game of all time). Square Enix owns them as well, after all.I'm a bit saddened that Dragon Quest is lagging behind so much. A few years back DQ was also in the 40s but FF was still in the 60s. Of course, DQ is still more popular than FF in Japan which is why they delayed FFXIII in favor of DQIX (yeah, seems totally bananas in the Western world, doesn't it?)."

Those figures were not published as far as I can make out, only the top five which I have posted. 

http://www.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20090422_02en.pdf

#8 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

What about Grandia. Sure they destroyed it, but the original still is grand.

#9 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Fantastic, also I didn't know hitman games sold that much.

#10 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Didn't expect Kingdom Hearts to sell that much, and kind of expected Final Fantasy to be up that high.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.