Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

Community learning: Breaking down the scoring system!

RoBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RoBear

I'll keep it as short as I can by saying what I can reasonably claim as facts. There is no TL:DR version because if you don't care enough to read and learn then you don't care enough to be at the top of the leader boards.

In an attempt to learn how to get a good score in Trick It I watched a video posted on the "post your demo scores" thread. The most important thing I learned from that video is I don't know what the heck is up with the score system.

Out the hatch the player does a Stiffy that lands him 3,920 points. This showed up on the bottom center with a x2 multiplier under it. He then does a Backside 720 Nose grab Tweak Front Flip. The score in the center jumps to 15,920, the multiplier moves up to x3, and on the bottom left a Trick Combo indicator appears. It reads 5,960 next to the 2 Trick Combo headline and it lists both the tricks in the combo thus far. I want to know WHERE THE HELL THOSE NUMBER COME FROM!?

The player's second trick clearly lands him 12,000 points to his running total. (15,920-3,920). So what does that 5,960 indicate? Also, when and how is that multiplier applied? Originally, I couldn't decipher any logical data from the left hand Trick Combo point identifier. In the end, he completes the run as one long combo start to finish and obtains a score of 40.5 million. Crossing the finish line his score reads 19,301,864 with the x20 multiplier highlighted and trick combo including 71 tricks. He crosses and "71 combo bonus +200,000" appears and the center number flashes to +21,045,564 and his total ends up as 40,547,428.

From this ending I am able to answer one question about the combo counter; when and how the multiplier works on at least one level. The center multiplier is multiplied by the left hand points at the end of the Trick Combo then added to your total score plus any bonuses. The reason is in the numbers. The last Trick Combo point number was 1,052,278. This multiplied by 20 then added to the 200,000 bonus points equals 21,245,564. The same number added to the last total of 19,301,864 to reach the 40.5 million.

This still leaves me with one big question. How many points is a trick actually earning you? If we can figure this out the community will have a better grasp on how to maximize scores in a general sense and then look for spots to enable those strategies on each drop. I have one theory that may help lead us to an answer. The theory is that the two numbers, the on in the center and the one on the left, are separate totals, and each trick you land is counted twice if it's in a combo. After watching a video that was not a single long combo run I've concluded that the center number is always your current grand total before "cashing in" your ongoing combo. This leads me to believe the points on the left hand side are your total points for your ongoing combo before any multipliers (I'm currently assuming the multiplier only triggers once at the end of each combo since I haven't done the math yet). The interesting part is, for every trick you perform BOTH totals increase. I haven't check to see by how much, but if it's the same amount it could easily lead to deciphering how much each trick is worth.

I will continue my research and post any relevant findings. I would love to hear other peoples thoughts about the scoring system in this game. I also wish to look into other aspects of the scoring system like what really affects the multiplier and the point spread on small tricks vs big vs grinding vs anything else that gets you points.

In the meantime, this is Diabeasty on the PSN telling you to "Stay Tricky!"

pyide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By pyide

This is something that really bothers me. It was easy to see where your points were coming from in SSX3 because the on screen ticker was always adding up in real time as you did tricks. I still haven't figured out what the eff is going in in SSX. It should not be that hard to decipher.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MachoFantastico

From what I can tell, it's most important to get your multiplier up quickly (obvious right), heard a few people say that it's wise to do at least two tricks per jump. Some tips have been stated in the demo tips video, for example how flips are worth more points then spins. I've been trying to figure it out myself, the combo system seems to be affected my the multiplier to so get to 20x as quickly as possible is going to get you those high scores. That said, I've gone down Bullfrog a bizillion times and I still can't surpass 16million. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, one thing I do know is that getting caught up in the small ice valley screws everything up for me, so right now I'm mainly tested out paths to see which is best because knowing the drop and it's routes seems 'ESSENTIAL' to getting those high scores.

The fact that there are 150+ drops in the full game scares the crap out of me, already put in an insane amount of hours in Bullfrog. At this rate I'll be playing that game for a good good while. :D

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There's a pretty in depth look at the scoring in this thread over at Mequry City: http://merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9829

Basically, as others have said, getting your multiplier to x20 and keeping it there is essential. Each time you do a trick, you earn (trick score * multi), and the base trick score gets added into your combo pool. When your combo pool gets cashed in, you earn ((combo pool * multi) + bonus). That bonus is based on the number of tricks in your combo chain.

So bottom line, get super tricky and a x20 multi as quickly as possible and maintain them. Try to keep your combo chains going for as long as possible, but most importantly, just make sure that whenever they get cashed in that you have a x20 multiplier. It doesn't really seem all that necessary for you to carry one combo chain through the entire run to get a great score.

As for individual tricks, it looks like you want to try to favor flips over spins and two-input grabs over one-button grabs, as well as focus on doing huge/massive tricks over a lot of smaller ones.

notdrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By notdrew

oh thank god someone made this thread. I couldn't figure it out myself!! It's oddly confusing.

RoBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RoBear

Thanks for the link. Those guys have done some great work and it's exactly what I was looking to replicate here. Anyone who wants a better understanding of the scoring system for this game check that thread out. In the coming weeks I will test some of their findings for myself. Also, there are still a few unanswered questions like what exactly changes your Flow multiplier and how grinds are scored.

The intention of this thread is more for data mining the game, not strategy development. Once we've got sufficient data then we can make sound strategies.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By shadows_kill

I've ran through the demo once and what I grasped of it is you do a trick get X points then once you start getting multipliers you do a trick worth X then multiply that number by the multiplier. Then that is added to the total score. Then continues on like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.