Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2017

EA's second Star Wars Battlefront features cross-era characters and locations from the original, prequel and sequel Star Wars movie trilogies. It also includes multiplayer character classes and a story-driven single-player campaign.

Now that they're overhauling progression in Battlefront 2, will you give it another chance?

Avatar image for deactivated-643821ed9b0ef
    deactivated-643821ed9b0ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I played Destiny 2 for about a full month and got bored with it, and now I'm craving a new online shooter. So I'm debating whether I should be giving Battlefront 2 a go once the new progression system goes live. I heard the core gameplay is actually really good. Most likely I'm gonna wait first and see how well the new progression system actually is.

But what about you? Are you interested in giving this game a try with the new system?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

NOPE

I will more than likely never touch this game. I thought the "first" Battlefront game sucked, really bad; it was literally just the most barebones Battlefield game since 1943 (a download only, budget game) with crappy weapons, crappy progression, and mostly just riding on nostalgia and the "cult of Star Wars". Battlefront 2 was just a more potent, weaponized version of that nostalgia and if I hated the first so much I won't enjoy the second at all. My backlog is constantly too full of games I'd love to play for even a few hours to anger myself by playing something I know I won't like.

Maybe if I could get the game on sale for like $10 in a holiday sale...but by that point I can't imagine the community would be worthwhile. Then again, I make dumb purchases all the time. I said, "I won't like Elder Scrolls Online" but I bought it on sale and low and behold...I don't like ESO. :\

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shiftygism

I'll probably be quitting if the new system they've put in place is as slow as it seems.

A linear approach for unlocking Star Cards is a pretty big step backwards.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have it installed, so I'll try it.

I don't think they will change it enough, to be honest. Everything outside of the gameplay is an abomination.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

As someone who owns Battlefront II, the only worthwhile part of Battlefront II is the Starfighter Assault mode. Even that falls well below Tie Fighter standards, but there's some fun to be had with that. I haven't enjoyed anything else with the game.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Even if the progression is fixed, its still a bad game. The campaign is pretty awful. Most maps are absolute trash and the modes feel very uninispired.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that bridge is burned between the ridiculous launch of this game and The Last Jedi the franchise just doesn't interest me anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will continue to play Battlefront II; the core gameplay is fun. Obviously the revamped progression system is a welcomed change, however I still managed to have fun with the old system.

craigieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't too impressed with the first Battlefront, I think the main reason I played it as much as I did was because the new Star Wars was being released and I was in Star Wars hype mode. I probably wasn't going to buy Battlefront 2 even before the whole microtransaction stuff came out so even if all that was sorted, I'd still probably not buy it unless I see something that sets it apart from the first game in a good way.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No one can tell you how to spend your money when it comes to stuff like this you will drawl your own lines where you want them. However, if I were to say my peace it would be to not reward EA for it's shitty buisness practices whether they fix the game or not. If your someone that just wants to play a game and not think about that stuff and you are still interested in the game then sure why not?

Even With that said I think there are better shooters out there to put your time into. Have you tried Battelfield 1? Titanfall 2? The new CoD?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who owns Battlefront II, the only worthwhile part of Battlefront II is the Starfighter Assault mode. Even that falls well below Tie Fighter standards, but there's some fun to be had with that. I haven't enjoyed anything else with the game.

Ouch...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

Even if the progression is fixed, its still a bad game. The campaign is pretty awful. Most maps are absolute trash and the modes feel very uninispired.

Yeah, I heard from several people that the campaign is bad. I mean, the story was co written by a former ign staff member lmao! And the story is basically bait and switch hah.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten a decent amount of enjoyment out of BF2 so far. The thing that would keep me playing at this point is new maps, especially for the Starfighter Assault because that is legitimately fun and feels better balanced than the normal on-foot game mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will continue to play Battlefront II; the core gameplay is fun. Obviously the revamped progression system is a welcomed change, however I still managed to have fun with the old system.

A positive response. That's a nice change!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one can tell you how to spend your money when it comes to stuff like this you will drawl your own lines where you want them. However, if I were to say my peace it would be to not reward EA for it's shitty buisness practices whether they fix the game or not. If your someone that just wants to play a game and not think about that stuff and you are still interested in the game then sure why not?

Even With that said I think there are better shooters out there to put your time into. Have you tried Battelfield 1? Titanfall 2? The new CoD?

Yeah I played Battlefield 1. I liked it, got bored with it, and moved on. Never tried Titanfall 2. With the game being sold that bad, I don't think there are a lot of people playing. And I swore to myself not to ever touch a COD game again since Ghosts.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Maybe when it is like 5 dollars on the PSN store like I did with the first one.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rasrimra

Uh... No. They are incapable of making a good game without trying to sell you more stuff. The loot boxes are an egregious practice but cosmetic DLC is not something that gets me excited or that tells me they learned anything.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shiftygism

There's nothing wrong with trying to sell people more stuff, especially if they're not forcing it on you and are committed to putting out regular updates and additional content. If the sales of those microtransactions (you don't have to buy) help fund additional maps and modes lengthening the lifespan of the game, I don't see the problem.

@ikilledthebeast said:
    @atwa said:

Yeah, I heard from several people that the campaign is bad. I mean, the story was co written by a former ign staff member lmao! And the story is basically bait and switch hah.

The campaign isn't bad because it's poorly written, it's because they, for some stupid reason, didn't make use of all of the multiplayer maps for narrative scenarios that would've better paced the story preventing the bait and switch twist from coming way too early. This issue also leads to a disappointing realization that there isn't a huge battle in a notable location later in the game despite hinting at it with the inclusion of a major character, one who's cameo feels hollow afterwards because of it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

@ikilledthebeast: Titanfall 2 is rad if you can find games, the campaign alone is woth it, and it goes for a pittance nowadays.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikilledthebeast: Titanfall 2 is rad if you can find games, the campaign alone is woth it, and it goes for a pittance nowadays.

Yeah, newegg has been practically giving it away with free shipping as of late. They had it and a headset for $10 a month or so ago and then last week had it on sale for $6.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will keep that in mind, when there's downtime. How long will the campaign last me? howlongtobeat.com says 8 hours... accurate?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played 2 games of the beta and had my fill, its just not that engaging to play for me and i never played the originals so i dont have the nostalgia.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ikilledthebeast: More like four hours, it's very short but believe me when I say quality over quantity definitely applies in this case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

The only reason I ever planned on playing it was because it had a campaign, and hearing that it's super underwhelming in that regard, no I don't think I'll play it. I'll play it if it becomes free or maybe if it's five dollars.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fatalbanana said:

Yeah I played Battlefield 1. I liked it, got bored with it, and moved on. Never tried Titanfall 2. With the game being sold that bad, I don't think there are a lot of people playing. And I swore to myself not to ever touch a COD game again since Ghosts.

If you're expecting Battlefront II to be as good as Battlefield 1, don't. Battlefield 1 is a much, much better game in every respect (save maybe its lackluster air combat being less fun than Battlefront II's starfighter assault). Also, your decision to not touch a CoD game after Ghosts is correct. I tried to give the series another shot with CoD: WWII, and I regret that I did. The pace/feel of the CoD games at this point is comical. I absolutely adored Titanfall 1, and enjoyed what I played of the beta of Titanfall 2. I still need to pick up that game, and probably will this summer. The Titanfall games play really well, and I'd like to go through that reportedly good campaign myself.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wardcleaver

@wardcleaver said:

Admittedly, I am a fairly big SW fan. Yes, the progression system is awful, but I have found it rarely impacts gameplay. I have been killed by players who had nothing but base-level cards. I have also gone back-and-forth with people who have higher level cards than I do. Very rarely do I feel a player is owning me because they have higher level cards.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikilledthebeast said:
    @wardcleaver said:

Admittedly, I am a fairly big SW fan. Yes, the progression system is awful, but I have found it rarely impacts gameplay. I have been killed by players who had nothing but base-level cards. I have also gone back-and-forth with people who have higher level cards than I do. Very rarely do I feel a player is owning me because they have higher level cards.

Yeah, the balance in Battlefront II actually seems fine overall. Also, it is a very good-looking game. I just don't find the gameplay to be much fun, regardless of whether I'm playing as some hero, stormtrooper, rebel soldier, etc. The shooting generally has too much latency (read: slow-traveling lasers) to feel good. I appreciate that they're trying to fix the game even now, but it's too little, too late for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
    deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would if they took the Crait map out. That has to be the worst multiplayer map ever made in a videogame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.