Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

A question about the story

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sickVisionz

I remember that they've said that this is basically KOTOR3-7 or something like that in an interview a while back. In the KOTOR series the Sith were always a threat but there were usually characters saying that the Sith were just a sign of a much larger force looming in the background that was headed towards the galaxy. KOTOR2 suggests that dude from KOTOR1 (I forget your character's real name) left to confront that threat and I believe that at the end of KOTOR2, your main character leaves to take on this threat.

So I have one question: Does it seem like the unnamed threat will be addressed based off of what you've played so far?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

It's the Emperor.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SamStrife

@Brodehouse: Yay for spoiler tags!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SamStrife It's not a spoiler, it's common sense. Revan goes to the Unknown Regions to stop a dark side threat. The Exile goes to the Unknown Regions to stop a dark side threat. 300 years later, an incredibly powerful Sith Emperor returns with an army built over centuries.

I mean, duh.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

@Brodehouse: Oh, I know that's the case. I know all about the Sith Emperor. The thing is the OP doesn't and the OP wasn't asking who the threat was, only if the game addresses it. Straight up saying it's the Sith Emperor is definately spoiler tag worthy.

All you had to do was say, yes the game addresses it. Instead you acted like a lore whore and spoiled the story for someone because you already know the answer and want to show off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SamStrife Hey I don't know anything about the Emperor, it's never even come up in my Trooper playthrough. But I know there is one, so he's the guy. The first time I saw that 'return' cutscene three years ago I said 'oh, I guess Revan failed.'
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sickVisionz

@Brodehouse: You mean an Emperor like Palpatine? That's a let down. The prior games made it sound huge and like something beyond Jedi vs Sith but it's really just another Darth X dude causing trouble for the Jedi?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By project343
    @sickVisionz

I'M RUNNING MOBLE SITE. SPOILER TAGS WILL NOT BE USED. SPOILERS FOR KOTOR1, KOTOR2, MINOR REVAN SPOILERS, MINOR SWTOR SPOILERS FOLLOW...

KOTOR 1 - Revan, Bastilla and crew stop the Sith.
    KOTOR 2 - Meetra finds the stuff you mention.
    Revan novel - Revan and Bastilla marry, Revan goes off to find this Sith threat. Revan is not heard of again. Malak's Sith force was suggested to be a small splinter group, and did not represent the dorment Empire.
    SWTOR - 300 years later, Sith emerge from supposed extinction with a new mysterious Emperor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sickVisionz if WoW is any indication you'll see the cross-faction stuff in the first expansion. That way they only have to design half as much.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By project343
    @sickVisionz

@Brodehouse: You mean an Emperor like Palpatine? That's a let down. The prior games made it sound huge and like something beyond Jedi vs Sith but it's really just another Darth X dude causing trouble for the Jedi?

This new Emperor is unlike any other that I've heard of. I'd recommend reading the latest Revan novel for a full breakdown. All I'll say is that he's lived a thousand years and single-handedly destroyed all life on a planet with the force.

It is suggested that the Jedi Knight story covers his death.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By FateOfNever

@sickVisionz said:

An Emperor, yes. But not an Emperor like Palpatine. They get into the emperor stuff some in the books that lead up to the launch of ToR. If you want to know some of the story details, I can throw them up in a spoiler tag for you. But regardless one thing I will say is that -

This emperor has figured out the key to immortality and has been around guiding the Sith Empire since probably about the time that the Sith were forced out of Republic Space during a rather major war where two Sith lords started a civil war and then turned on the republic, and then turned on each other again, and then the Republic thought they had wiped almost all of them out and forced a small fraction off into uncharted space.) Consider that he's been alive since before the first KotOR and that was something like 300 years before TOR, and he was around for a considerable amount of time before that even.)

Plus, remember that Palpatine overthrew the Republic through almost nothing but manipulation and being a sneaky bastard. Whoever this Emperor is has shown a much bigger combination of brute force AND being a manipulative sneaky bastard. I think saying "Oh, he's just some dude" is probably selling him really short.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

@project343 said:

@sickVisionz

This new Emperor is unlike any other that I've heard of. I'd recommend reading the latest Revan novel for a full breakdown. All I'll say is that he's lived a thousand years and single-handedly destroyed all life on a planet with the force. It is suggested that the Jedi Knight story covers his death.

Darth Nihilus also had a power like that, and went down like a sucker. :p

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sickVisionz

@Jeust said:

Darth Nihilus also had a power like that...

I was going to say this but I though it might come off as overly negative. Since it's already out I'll also say that Malek/Revan in KOTOR1 were able to assemble an impossibly large Sith fleet/force without the Jedi being aware of it. KOTOR3-7 is really the premise of KOTOR1 with the bad guy from KOTOR2 and the whole giant evil lurking in the background that even the Sith were saying people should be afraid of and needs to be dealt with was just a Sith Lord.

I was thinking of checking this out and possibly getting a new PC if my laptop couldn't handle it (it barely runs Civ 5) but it sounds like the story is a rehash/remix of the first two games... and the story was the thing I was looking forward to the most.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeust

@sickVisionz said:

@Jeust said:

Darth Nihilus also had a power like that...

I was going to say this but I though it might come off as overly negative. Since it's already out I'll also say that Malek/Revan in KOTOR1 were able to assemble an impossibly large Sith fleet/force without the Jedi being aware of it. KOTOR3-7 is really the premise of KOTOR1 with the bad guy from KOTOR2 and the whole giant evil lurking in the background that even the Sith were saying people should be afraid of and needs to be dealt with was just a Sith Lord.

I was thinking of checking this out and possibly getting a new PC if my laptop couldn't handle it (it barely runs Civ 5) but it sounds like the story is a rehash/remix of the first two games... and the story was the thing I was looking forward to the most.

I'm playing it, and the story is good. Each location has its plot and problems, and even if the end narrative is not that strong (I'm far from the end segment), the story has been very good and imaginative.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SamStrife

The interesting thing about this new Emperor is that the old ghosts of powerful Sith also hate the crap out of him. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By project343

@Jeust said:

Going to go ahead and spoil some things about the book...

The Emperor uses a ritual and consumes all living things on his home planet, essentially draining it of force, and merges all those living things into his own soul. They describe his voice as having the sound of ten thousands voices.

As far as what happens in the book, The Exile (aka Meetra), Revan, and a Sith Lord all ally together to defeat the Emperor, and the Emperor wins. Meetra is murdered, Lord Scourge (the Sith Lord) becomes an immortal servant to the Emperor, and Revan is locked away in some cell where the Emperor constantly drains his life force. Many believe Revan is still alive in the point of the game, some 300 years later.

Now to spoil what I've heard of the Jedi Knight story:

You eventually gain Lord Scourge as an ally and defeat the Emperor yourself.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Pinworm45

As someone who hasn't played Kotor (well, much), or read any books, or generally knows all that much about Star Wars, here's what I can elaborate on:

The story to the game has a lot of layers.

The first layer would be "side quests". These all have an over arching plot that take place on the planet, and even though they're "side quests", they all come together to form a beginning and an end, although a good portion of them can be taken interdependently, but also factor into the whole. For example, completing a secondary quest to, say, help some guy destroy a crane, will result in the final dialogue saying something like "We have secured this planet, thanks in no small part to you destroying a crane" or something like that.

The next layer would be your class quests. These form a good portion of your main story, and probably where the most intrigue comes from. It's very good, but each class is different and has their own story, and from what I've seen, this story ties into the next layer, but - at least at level 40 - aren't related to the games over all story, but are rather pieces of it.

Then there's the games over all story, that the previous layers all tie into. This is basically the tenuous piece between the republicans and imperials. The imperials are trying to start a war, I don't really know what the republicans are doing (having not played one), and that is the overarching story between the planets and class quests.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Republic is just as guilty of making the cold war hot. Republic and the Imps hate the shit out of each other, they're both eager to start this war again.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeust

@project343 said:

@Jeust said:

Going to go ahead and spoil some things about the book...

The Emperor uses a ritual and consumes all living things on his home planet, essentially draining it of force, and merges all those living things into his own soul. They describe his voice as having the sound of ten thousands voices.

As far as what happens in the book, The Exile (aka Meetra), Revan, and a Sith Lord all ally together to defeat the Emperor, and the Emperor wins. Meetra is murdered, Lord Scourge (the Sith Lord) becomes an immortal servant to the Emperor, and Revan is locked away in some cell where the Emperor constantly drains his life force. Many believe Revan is still alive in the point of the game, some 300 years later.

Now to spoil what I've heard of the Jedi Knight story:

You eventually gain Lord Scourge as an ally and defeat the Emperor yourself.

Interesting. I had read something in those lines. I also read that the Jedi Consular would also fight the Emperor afterwards.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By mosdl

@Brodehouse said:

The Republic is just as guilty of making the cold war hot. Republic and the Imps hate the shit out of each other, they're both eager to start this war again.

Yup, the Republic works with a lot of nasty organizations (Hutts for example) and turns a blind eye. Parts of the game do get quite dark.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.