Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Question about Uninstalling Origin before installing SWTOR

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By spacegandhi

I ordered a physical copy of SWTOR from Amazon a few days ago, and I have been contemplating connecting it to my Origin account. I downloaded Origin shortly after its release to get into the BF3 Alpha and connected what few EA PC games I owned to the service. These included Dragon Age: Origins, Awakening, DA2, and ME2. Because all of these games were physical copies Origin still requires me to use the disc when playing them. However, my discs for these games are currently in another state and I have little interest in revisiting the titles any time soon.

Several of my friends have suggested I do not tie my SWTOR and Origin accounts together because of EA's poor customer service in relation to Origin. But when I go to uninstall Origin it warns me that this may cause problems when trying to play my other EA games. But I had installed all of my Dragon Age games to my PC before tying them to Origin. So, I ask, will uninstalling Origin totally destroy the Dragon Age files I'm not entirely sure I'd like to return to? Also, I imagine that if I was not going to tie my Origin account to my SWTOR account I should most likely not use my old SWTOR board name I used to get into the Beta, as it is the same as the one I have tied to Origin.

Sorry for the long question. Thanks.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By White_Silhouette

I could be wrong but your SWTOR account is the same as your EA account so it will be linked with Origin no matter what. Also with TOR at least you don't need Origin open to play it. (not sure about the installed or not). i have it installed but not open and have been playing TOR fine.

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By spacegandhi

But if I were to make an entirely new account with a new email address it would be free of Origin. But it is encouraging to hear you're not having a problem with it. Thanks.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By White_Silhouette

Yes you could make a new account with a new e-mail. If that is what you want to do I also suggest putting the code you get in box in to swtor.com. They disc copy installs origin. I'm not sure if you just download straight from the website if you can get around using origin. I was in the beta and just continued to use that client. So can't be sure if a direct download from the swtor.com bypasses needing to authenticate through origin.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Kiri90

As someone who will be ordering from Amazon in the next few days, can anyone tell me if I will always have to have the disc in my PC in order to play?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx
    @Kiri90: MMOs do not require the disc to play.  Have fun =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.