Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

What do you think of the two new classes revealed?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By maxszy

Two new classes have been revealed!  

For the Republic it is the Jedi Consular.
    For the Sith it is the Sith Inquisitor. 

They rely on force powers rather than their light saber to grant them most of their power.  I think this is a good thing because it gives you the option if you want to be a Jedi or Sith to not have to only be a warrior. While they in the context of the Star Wars universe definitely are more abundant, I think the inclusion of these two new classes is great. 

While I still have no idea whether I will actually play a force wielding character to start (really been leaning toward a Smuggler for a long time I think) the Consular or Inquisitor is definitely more what I would play as if I were to go with a force wielding character to start.

I'm excited about these two new classes. According to Joystiq these are the "final two classes" which I haven't heard anywhere else but I guess considering that does make eight classes total, it would be understandable.

So without further a due, what do you think about these new reveals on classes?

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Darkstar614

I hate how they say that the consular can be a potential healer. A "potential healer" in an mmo is ALWAYS a healer, forever. I got enough of that nonsense from warcraft...  I'll most likely be rolling one of the Sith classes, because of the former, and because my friends are all doing the same.

Assuming everyone and their mom rolls the lightsaber warrior, I'll probably either go Imperial Agent or Bounty hunter.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx

Don't think my first character is going to be a Jedi or Sith.

Interesting new classes though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jimbo

I don't buy that they're doing it because there is a 'second Jedi archetype' from the movies that they're trying to portray.  They just need to split the force-user classes into multiple group roles, because otherwise the Jedi and Sith classes would be totally overpopulated, they would be the master of all trades and there would be no group dynamic to speak of.  In that regard, they have made absolutely the correct decision. 

I've been advocating that they need to split the force-classes for a while now, so I'm pleased that they are going that route.  I'd have preferred they split force-users into 3 classes/roles per side (ie. Guardian = Tank, Consular = Force DPS, Sentinel = Support, Healer, etc.), but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

The companion thing sounds neat, though it would be better if you could just fill a whole group with them if you wanted to, so that solo-ing was genuinely an option.  I wonder if you can level-up and outfit your companion like you would your own character.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Out_On_Bail

The force will be strong with this one. 

Lots of force characters in this game, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I was thinking they'd go a different route with the last two. Not a big deal, I'm still looking forward to seeing how well it's implemented.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Evilsbane

This is the only MMO in the chute that interest me at all and than its only because Bioware is doing it and they haven't failed me yet (Except for Jade Empire but I think I just played that game way to long after release.)

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Cerza

I like them and am glad they did what they did splitting the force users since everyone knows those are going to be the most populated classes and roles. I won't be playing either of these classes at the start since the Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter seem to match my style of play more from what has been shown. 

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TheKidNixon

While I do see the different classes as a way to further extend the roles of magi, er, Force users, it also makes sense within the context of how the spin it. The Vader/Emperor comparison I think is especially apt, and offers a pretty clear distinction between the different directions the two classes go into. (Obi Wan works less well as an example of a  Consular, but I see what they're striving for.)

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maxszy
    @Jimbo said:
    "  The companion thing sounds neat, though it would be better if you could just fill a whole group with them if you wanted to, so that solo-ing was genuinely an option.  I wonder if you can level-up and outfit your companion like you would your own character. "
    Interesting thought, I definitely didn't think about that. It would be nice if you could, or at least have their armor weapons automatically upgrade with each level that they get? Something like that.

@Cerza said:
    " I like them and am glad they did what they did splitting the force users since everyone knows those are going to be the most populated classes and roles. I won't be playing either of these classes at the start since the Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter seem to match my style of play more from what has been shown.  "
    Definitely agree there. I don't think i'll be going a Jedi at the start either but I know most people will be. Its good just from a balance point that they split it up, so 70% of the server isn't all a Jedi or Sith. Heh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.