Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Best way to learn to play online

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

So I just got both WoL and HotS and have really tried to dig into the multiplayer. To say the least, I've mostly lost all my matches (think I'm 5-17) and I'm curious on exactly how to learn the ropes of online. Does the a.i but up a good enough fight to get some actual practice for the real deal? I am currently using Terran and really trying to stick with them since I've already invested a good amount of time into it. If you duders know of any videos or tips that would help I would appreciate it. Thanks guys

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Playing against A.I. is great for getting your mechanics down which is important but it doesn't do much for learning strats and builds. Check out Day9's channel on youtube, specifically his Newbie Tuesday vids, he's good at nailing some fundamentals. Aside from that, Team Liquid is good for getting builds and whatnot although personally I find that forum a pain to navigate.

I'd watch some streams and youtube stuff, with HotS just coming out everyones gonna be hammering away at it and figuring out what works so in a way you're getting in on the ground floor.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pr1mus

Playing the A.I is good to learn the maps and become fast with them hotkeys but not much else. As the above poster said, Day9's Newbie Tuesday is a good place to learn.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

@thesoutherndandy: @pr1mus: Thanks guys. Would you recommend trying the other races against the A.I just to see what buildings build what? I mean I tend to scout out the other persons base but I don't know what most of the buildings do. Also, I would say I'm pretty quick with the hotkeys, I guess I just don't have much of a strategy against the enemies I face.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SSully

Honestly make sure you have HOTS installed and go right into the training. Although I have past experience with WOL(fluctuate between bronze and silver, not a pro by any means) I gave it a try and I felt it could give beginners a decent intro to the multiplayer game. Once you do all of that I would either play a shit ton against AI, do unranked ladder, or find some friends to play with. Playing with a friend either 1 on 1 or just doing 2v2's can give you a nice jump because there is less pressure. I honestly felt I got into a good routine in WOL after me and a buddy played a bunch of 2v2 matches.

Either way check out the new group section and join the Giantbomb group. I didn't talk to anyone on there yet, but there has been a decent amount of people everytime I went on. Try to pick up some games with some of the duders, or if you want add me(same user name as on here) and I will play some games. Regardless ,good luck and have fun that's what it is all about.

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By davo

Watch a lot of "professionals" play, and see what they do in certain situations. I'd say that time and dedication is most important, though.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Play matches, watch pros play.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I'm not sure if the people posting here have messed with it, but the new vs. AI option in HotS is significantly better than bot matches in WoL. Similar to the PvP ladders, the vs. AI mode in HotS gives you a TrueSkill rating and self determines what difficulty of AI to put you up against. As you do better and improve, the game will level up the difficulty of the AI. Once you've gotten a better idea of how to play, be it from a friend or from Day9 videos etc, I'd use vs. AI to start learning how to implement that knowledge.

composite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played my first 10 HOTS ranked matches and get trounced significantly in each one. I'm talking I bulild ten marines and a couple siege tanks, and my opponent has double my units. I honestly don't know how to compete or build faster. This is frustrating. Starcraft 2 is like homework, and I have enough work to do in my professional life, I can't deal with the stress and study it takes to be even MEDIOCRE in starcraft. I think I'm done. Its not worth it for me.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played my first 10 HOTS ranked matches and get trounced significantly in each one. I'm talking I bulild ten marines and a couple siege tanks, and my opponent has double my units. I honestly don't know how to compete or build faster. This is frustrating. Starcraft 2 is like homework, and I have enough work to do in my professional life, I can't deal with the stress and study it takes to be even MEDIOCRE in starcraft. I think I'm done. Its not worth it for me.

You played the campaign and you're having that level of issue? Have you tried playing against the AI a bit or even experimenting with Protoss or Zerg?

composite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By composite

Yes, I played the campaign, I played the training. But that doesn't prepare you for online, because the campaign on normal is super easy (apparently, thats the difficulty I played) and the units are so messed with and changed that it isn't applicable to the multiplayer at all. My skill level is: build SCVs, bulid supply depot, built barracks, build supply depot build SCV, etc etc. By the time I reach 50 supply and have about 30 marines, and 10 maruaders, I go to harrass their base and they already have siege/roach/whatever, my army is decimated, and I type in GG. Honestly, that has been my experience with 10 online matches. Not fun, really demoralizing. I don't see the point in putting anymore time into getting my assed kicked.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I want to love this game. I want to be able to participate in the online, and be part of the community. But in most games I see some sort of progression or reason for me to keep playing. In this online, I just get hammered and hammered. I don't care how many replays I watch, if my basic skill of making basic units can't compete with other peoples basics skill of making units, what's the point?

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend practicing your macro in a .vs AI game, not nearly as stressful as laddering and you don't have to worry about players cheesing you. It's currently what I'm doing because I constantly drop the ball on keeping a constant production going, and by the 10 minute mark I'm floating so much resources it's not even funny.

All it takes is practice, the same with any competitive game. The exact same thing will happen if you jump into any competitive game, hell, jump into a MOBA with no idea what you're doing and you probably won't stand a chance. I recommend anyone looking to actually learn the game watch Filtersc's youtube channel, he has one of the best learn to play series I've ever seen, and he's currently working on a new series for HOTS.

@composite If you're getting trounced every game it might have stuck you in a higher skill level then you're actually at. As you lose games it should lower your rank until you get placed with people around your level. Also, you get as much out of the game as you want, if you want to be super good then expect to put in the time, if you just want to fuck around do dumb builds in bronze, that's also a thing. You don't need to play "Standard" to be good, just watch Ketroc21 youtube channel, dude uses super weird builds and is in master league, he has honestly pretty terrible macro but has learned to refine certain builds to work around that, not to mention the dude has amazing crisis management.

If someone is doubling your units at the 10 minute mark, it's likely because they have a better economy and production then you.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

VS AI is wonderful but probably not that useful for matchmaking. For some reason the first 10 minutes have become a turtlefest in the vast majority of 1v1 matches and thus largely negate any skill in the early game apart from base building, I suppose this is to make it more accessible but it winds up being pretty silly; used to be like 4 minutes in Brood War or so.

As a result if you can get decent at setting up a variety of early game rushes you could probably do reasonably well; it's something like 5% of players that actually do anything aggressive beyond sending a token reaper, spider mine, or oracle prior to already having 2 bases (compared to 30% at WoL launch or so), except maybe in mirror matches?

Contrary to popular belief the zerg, those hoarders of small aggressive units that ravaged the universe, actually did so by sitting in their base with spine crawlers and queens. That cutscene at the start of HotS? Total bullshit; should just be a hatchery sitting around with spine crawlers. Hilarious.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: Yeah that's a good idea for sure, that way when you scout you can spot whats being built and what's gonna be heading your way.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@sackmanjones: I don't think anyone has mentioned Day[9] yet, so I guess I will. He puts out 3 hour live streams everyday about starcraft called Day[9] dailys. On tuesday he does something called noobie tuesday that goes over basics for Bronze to gold level players.

Also every video he has done is on Youtube on his channel so you don't need to watch it live, and just browes the YT tuesday playlist and find videos about what you need help with.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By indiefinch

@bwast said:

This is the best place to learn quick basics, in my opinion. Once you know what race you will play, catch up on his videos. You pretty much just need to know the basics and then just grind games. The only way to actually get better is to play a ton of matches then watching the replays after to see where you went wrong. Rinse and repeat. Then just try to have fun, don't worry about your ladder ranking or rank.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MezZa

This helped me a lot when I first started. It's some exercises you can do by yourself to improve the mechanics you'll need to have perfected while playing. Other than that, watch those Apollo vids and Day9's newbie tuedays. Watching live streams can help more after you get a better idea of whats going on. Mainly just make sure you are playing lots of matches. That is the best way to get better. It doesn't matter if you're losing as long as you're focusing on improving things like building workers constantly, not getting supply blocked, etc. during your games. If you start to get frustrated from losing, find victories in the little things. If you watch a replay and see that you kept your worker production up better than your opponent, celebrate that even though you might not have won the match.

Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Homer39

this video helped me a lot when i first started playing Starcraft 2 and as others have said watch the other Newbie Tusedays as well.

Loading Video...
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: Watch the pros and tournaments on twitch.tv, Husky channel on youtube is also gold. But most importantly IMO, just practice practice practice, play a bunch of games in the ladders. I lost 40 games in a row when SC2 came out, Now I'm leading my division in Platinum. Don't get attached or whinny, loosing and learning from your mistakes is actually the best way to get good.

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tomorrowman

Rock on guys, I decided I wanted to give it a shot today myself, and with that newbie video #1 I beat the computer on hard for the first time ever.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rokkaku

Throw yourself in. There really is a hard limit on what the A.I. can teach you, and by playing humans not only are you exposed to the cruel strategies that the sapient mind can conjure, the satisfaction levels for winning are far greater; knowing that you've just made a 12-year-old punch their keyboard in frustration after a 'no-gg' rage quit is the best thing about Starcraft, period.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ben_H

Ah glad to see someone posted Newbie Tuesday #1. I watched that live back in the day. I was just starting then and that was incredibly useful. That dApollo guide someone posted is also very good.

The best thing you can do as an immediate beginner is to practice vs. the AI. Don't worry about beating it, just worry about spending your money and always building workers and supply buildings (depots, pylons, overlords). Playing multiplayer without having the basic fundamentals down is a waste of time. The AI is also a lot less stressful for most people to play against since it isn't another player. Basic fundamental skills like always building workers, not getting supply blocked and spending your money consistently will easily get you to platinum league, if not diamond. Only when you start playing against Master League or top Diamond do you actually have to worry about strategy because at that point macro becomes more consistent. Below that having better macro can usually beat most strategies outside of DT/cloak builds, but don't worry about those.

DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN CUTESY STRATEGY AND POSITIONING STUFF BEFORE YOU HAVE THE MECHANIC FUNDAMENTALS DOWN. Even in Diamond where I am I still see people trying to do cute little strategies while falling behind on macro. These strategies and ideas are not worth it. They do not help you improve in the long run. They may win you a few games now but it will not help you improve. I sees Zerg players with perfectly positioned overlords and zerglings to spot but they are down 10 workers because their production sucks so they lose anyway. Or Terrans and Protoss doing cutesy micro in battles but not macroing so when the battle is done they are massively behind and have a 2000 resource bank that should have been spent. If you go to Team Liquid and view the strategy section you will see people in Gold league asking what was wrong with their composition. The issue is never composition but macro. Macro can get you to Diamond. I have done it with all 3 races.

Also, losing is part of the game. Get used to it. It means you have things to improve. It kinda sucks but that is how it is. And do not blame others for your losses. Yes you will lose to cheese you did not scout in time once in a while but that is okay. You can learn way more from a loss than from a win.

EDIT:

As a result if you can get decent at setting up a variety of early game rushes you could probably do reasonably well; it's something like 5% of players that actually do anything aggressive beyond sending a token reaper, spider mine, or oracle prior to already having 2 bases (compared to 30% at WoL launch or so), except maybe in mirror matches?

This is a poor mentality that does not work once you reach the higher leagues and will just end with you getting stuck cheesing every game because you can't keep up in a macro game. The reason the people in those can pull off fast expand builds consistently is because they can defend these cheesy/gimmicky types of builds while still expanding. One base builds may work in the lower leagues but not in anything past Platinum where people actually start to scout. People learn how to respond when they see someone one-basing hard and as a result most one-base all-in builds fall apart versus someone that plays intelligently, and this leads to both players expanding because they know their one base build will likely fail against all but the most greedy of players. The only one base builds that still work with anything resembling consistency (and even then not too consistent against good players) are Terran 1/1/1 builds that start with aggressive drops to throw Protoss off before making a final push, and these are not builds that can be pulled off consistently at the lower leagues because all of the player's timings are already off. Outside of that there is very little that works. Sure you can 6pool a Protoss and maybe win a bit but that won't get you anywhere because the higher up you go the worse it is because people learn how to beat it and then you will be stuck with worse mechanics and you will lose a lot.

And there are a number of reasons you don't see one base builds anymore (there are certainly agressive builds still in the game today, but not how is being described here) compared to the launch of WoL. Firstly, the maps are significantly larger and much harder to all-in on now. On Steppes of War in WoL a 3rax stim all-in was powerful not because of the build itself, but because the map was so small that you could reach an opponent's base really fast so anything other than a one base response to it (say a 2 or 3 gateway robo build) would basically always lose. On modern maps you can hold a 3rax stim all-in with a 1gate expand build (in WoL), and now with the mothership core that is even more so a true statement in HOTS. With Zerg that is also the case, the maps are large enough that a zerg can scout the 1base build and respond appropriately in time. And with Terran too. If they see their opponent one-basing and they throw down extra bunkers and get into a defensive position where they will likely win. Expansion builds are so normal now that anything other than that immediately raises a red flag and puts people into a defensive mindset, which makes one base builds even worse.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sackmanjones

Thanks for the help guys. I'm playing the computer more while still working a few online matches in. I think I'm improving on my macro but always let workers slip my mind. I also have issues of getting supply blocked which really things off for me.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: That is something that takes time. It becomes a habit to make workers and supply buildings after a while. I had that issue when I first started too. Now I have the opposite problem, I keep making like 80 probes.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just play against AI, dude. It's probably the best way you can get faster at building bases and such.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.