Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

How do you deal with losing streaks?

• 51 results
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By WickedCestus

I have been losing a lot recently. I lost 5 in a row yesterday, complemented by 2 losses and a win today. That's right, 7 losses in 8 games. Pretty bad. I know a friend who lost 9 in a row in one day, and he said that what he learned from that was to stop playing after you lose a few, because you get in a losing mood. I took this advice and threw it out the window by just playing more and more games after I started losing, because I thought that I had to win one sometime, right? Wrong. Oh yeah, that win I got? It was against a Bronze player with 2 wins in 10 games. Yeah. I'm actually afraid I'll be kicked out of Silver league, because I have lost all my points and am sitting at 94th in my pool right now with a 7-14 record.  

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with a losing streak? I don't think that my strategy of just playing a lot is really working. I guess I'll just wait until I'm demoted to bronze and then try to claw my way back up....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Try to learn something from each game, make sure you know why you lost. Stay calm and collected and execute your plan.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DrPockets000

I usually beat my children.  It really helps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I read the title as How do you deal with losing steaks. Man that would be the worst, losing all my steaks. I don't know how I'd deal with it. Probably after years of  counseling maybe then I'd be able to come to terms with the loss of my steaks. So in conclusion nobody touch my damn steaks.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NoDeath
    @laserfrog said:
    " I read the title as How do you deal with losing steaks. Man that would be the worst, losing all my steaks. I don't know how I'd deal with it. Probably after years of  counseling maybe then I'd be able to come to terms with the loss of my steaks. So in conclusion nobody touch my damn steaks. "
    I think I'm going to have nightmares for weeks at the mere thought of loosing all my steaks.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit

Collect your thoughts, and remember that every loss is a learning opportunity. Watch the replay and find out what your opponent did that you didn't counter, and remember for next time. And take plenty of breaks. Don't get into the "I've lost so many, I've just got to play until I win one" mentality, because down that path lays madness! 

@laserfrog said:

" I read the title as How do you deal with losing steaks. Man that would be the worst, losing all my steaks. I don't know how I'd deal with it. Probably after years of  counseling maybe then I'd be able to come to terms with the loss of my steaks. So in conclusion nobody touch my damn steaks. "
    Hey... can I have a steak?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tebbit: Over my cold dead steakless body!
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tebbit
    @laserfrog: You've made a grave... 

misteak
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I never play online. 

I'm invincible.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By WickedCestus
    @laserfrog said:
    I was actually going to save that burning question for a future thread, but I guess we can kill two birds with one stone by discussing it now.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Winternet

Either 2rack rush or 4gate rush or 6pool rush. You'll win in no time.

lilgroc78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lilgroc78

I usually punt a puppy. It always makes me feel better.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda

/wrist

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spectreman

Play in differents hours of day. You can get more easy players. If you play at 2 AM, will be more hardcore gamers.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By herocide

Watching replays and analyzing your own games helps loads in most situations, at least for me. Pick up on mistakes you may have made, and refine them as much as possible. Are you always looking at your minimap/production/food, staying on top of macro, et cetera?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By frankxiv

just calm down and come back later/the next day. i've been trying to do this when i'm on a winning streak as well, because i'll usually throw it away and then start up a losing streak from that loss.

also what everyone is saying about watching your replays, don't do that when you're mad from losses either, you can watch it if you're curious what went wrong, but save it and really watch it again later once you've calmed down. 

otherwise your analysis will be like "ugh i did everything right but he just made marines and got stim and i lost" or something like that.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cataphract1014

If I lose to Mutas, I punch something on my desk and stop playing.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Donos

I'd definitely say stop playing for a while, even if you don't feel really frustrated. I usually go run on my treadmill for a few minutes and play much better afterwards.

If you really can't stop losing after that, maybe try playing off-race or going with some random different strategy for a while and just have some fun with it.There's a good chance the new perspective help you figure out why you were losing.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chokobo

Crying definitely helps me get through those rough stretches.

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shinluis
    @laserfrog said:
    Dude if you had a picture of Chie for portrait this would be quite possibly the greatest post in this community. It still made my day though =)
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Bollard
    @supermike6: Well, I got kicked out of Silver league when I was 54th and had around 30 points still - plus I had only lost 4 or 5 games in a row. 

So now I deal with losing streaks by raging out and swearing profusely at my next opponent for no reason. And then I seem to win. Strange that. (I only did this once and won't ever again).
    shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shinluis
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinluis said:
    "
    Oh well. Just for fun I made it anyway.. "
    I laughed
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Afroman269
    @CrazyBagMan said:
    " Try to learn something from each game, make sure you know why you lost. Stay calm and collected and execute your plan. "
    I basically do just this. 
    Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Titl

The "correct" way to deal with it is to analyze your games, and fix your mistakes in the next game. I just play some melee customs games, theres no pressure, so i try out some strategies i've never tried before.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Thule

It's called 'tilting' and a good way to get rid of it is to just stop playing for awhile. Go do something else for a bit and you'll probably play better when you're back.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By imsh_pl

After a losing streak I usually tend to take a break. If I'm not sure what caused the loss, I analyze the replay to make sure what mistakes I've made.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EthanML
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " If I lose to Mutas, I punch something on my desk and stop playing. "
    Amen to this.....fuck those things.
    heghmohqib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By heghmohqib

play better

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Ben_H
    @Winternet said:

" Either 2rack rush or 4gate rush or 6pool rush. You'll win in no time. "

No. I used to switch to random and do crap like that and it only makes things worse.  I'd not be thinking clearly and would make tons of mistakes.

Take a break.  A general rule for me is ff I lose 2 or more in a row I take at least a one hour break and play Minecraft, read a book or exercise to deal with my frustration.  I usually start losing streaks if something crazy happens and makes me paranoid in a way that I change how I play.  I can tell when I'm tilting now and my W/L has thanked me for it.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By raiz265

I get angry. Play more. And fail harder every game.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ben_H
    @raiz265 said:
    " I get angry. Play more. And fail harder every game. "
    The QXC method. 

I was watching his stream back when it was on daily, and he was saving replays.  He got to a full screen of losses and said "I'm not gonna save these, I think I was tilting".
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I guess it depends on the person...in my case the more i lose the more pissed off i get,the more pissed off i get the more i lose...this eventually leads to rage quitting,and when i hit my chair with my foot as hard as i can (which leads to a scar) thats when i stop playing...needless to say i try not to play multiplayer games to much.

Avatar image for sadlittletoilet
    SadLittleToilet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SadLittleToilet

i splash my head with water, say "oogaboogabooga", light a candle, pick zerg and win.

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eldiax

The worst thing you could do is get angry. The best thing to do is watch replays and try to rationally explain why did you lose. 

It's also good to remember that while you're on a losing streak, at least you didn't lose your steaks. Steaks are tasty and you can eat them. You can't eat your league or rank in Starcraft.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I react really badly. I am like 2-13 in my last 15 games. I have been making a lot of bad decisions lately, engaging when I shouldn't and moving out when I don't know where his army is. Losing all your marines to banelings is the more infuriating thing ever. I should watch my replays, but I really hate watching myself play.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Marz

I stop playing and watch replays of people who are actually good to get motivation again.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By csl316

Play a game you routinely win at, or just do something else for a while.  I either go with some Reach or some guitar.  But I'll still watch the GSL to get my SC fix.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Winternet
    @Ben_H said:
    " @Winternet said:

No. I used to switch to random and do crap like that and it only makes things worse.  I'd not be thinking clearly and would make tons of mistakes. Take a break.  A general rule for me is ff I lose 2 or more in a row I take at least a one hour break and play Minecraft, read a book or exercise to deal with my frustration.  I usually start losing streaks if something crazy happens and makes me paranoid in a way that I change how I play.  I can tell when I'm tilting now and my W/L has thanked me for it. "
    I meant to say the rush according to his race. I don't think he mentioned his race so I just put the 3 of them. Going random is a definitely NO. Unless you want to lose more. 

If you start to lose to much, either go to TL.net and type IMBA over and over again or go and listen to the NDX and you'll feel better. Guaranteed.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ben_H
    @Winternet said:
    " @Ben_H said:
    " @Winternet said:

No. I used to switch to random and do crap like that and it only makes things worse.  I'd not be thinking clearly and would make tons of mistakes. Take a break.  A general rule for me is ff I lose 2 or more in a row I take at least a one hour break and play Minecraft, read a book or exercise to deal with my frustration.  I usually start losing streaks if something crazy happens and makes me paranoid in a way that I change how I play.  I can tell when I'm tilting now and my W/L has thanked me for it. "
    I meant to say the rush according to his race. I don't think he mentioned his race so I just put the 3 of them. Going random is a definitely NO. Unless you want to lose more.  If you start to lose to much, either go to TL.net and type IMBA over and over again or go and listen to the NDX and you'll feel better. Guaranteed. "
    No I'm saying don't rush in general when on a losing streak.  It will make things worse as you will be so pissed off you will make huge mistakes and lose even more.  It's way better to take an hour break and play well than lose 7 times rushing and still be tilted.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Winternet
    @Ben_H said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @Ben_H said:
    " @Winternet said:

I meant to say the rush according to his race. I don't think he mentioned his race so I just put the 3 of them. Going random is a definitely NO. Unless you want to lose more.  If you start to lose to much, either go to TL.net and type IMBA over and over again or go and listen to the NDX and you'll feel better. Guaranteed. "
    No I'm saying don't rush in general when on a losing streak.  It will make things worse as you will be so pissed off you will make huge mistakes and lose even more.  It's way better to take an hour break and play well than lose 7 times rushing and still be tilted. "
    Hmm... maybe. I don't know, I don't have lose streaks. HAHA! 

But, sure, taking a break can work. Or just come back the next day. Give it a rest.
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Aegon

You win, duh. Tiger blood, baby. Rocket fuel covered saber tips.

Informant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Informant

Heh I used to have this syndrome in the old RA2 days, I always just called it up that there's players who will just react better and maintain their cool better than you, or that game was broken (which RA2 sure as hell was) abusing certain units. Personally in RTS it doesn't really matter at the end of it if you get into the pro leagues or not, sure it's good to get a decent challenge but you will eventually run into a wall where you can't go any further without exerting yourself further. I always took a break when this happened. I'm reminded of the AVGN who said something along the lines of "first you enter this kind of zone where you start making more mistakes, then all the skill you seem to have accumulated starts draining away, then you continually keep losing because you can't keep your cool and you need your cool to win".

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I always take a break now if I get to two losses in a row.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Winternet
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " I always take a break now if I get to two losses in a row. "
    That's maybe lack of confidence. Two losses is nothing.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ben_H
    @Winternet said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:
    That's maybe lack of confidence. Two losses is nothing. "
    I take breaks after two as well.  It's not a lack of confidence, I just know I start to tilt and worry about winning after two losses so I would rather not lose more than I need to.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Winternet
    @Ben_H said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:
    That's maybe lack of confidence. Two losses is nothing. "
    I take breaks after two as well.  It's not a lack of confidence, I just know I start to tilt and worry about winning after two losses so I would rather not lose more than I need to. "
    You guys worry too much.
    gahathat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gahathat
    @Tebbit said:

" Collect your thoughts, and remember that every loss is a learning opportunity. Watch the replay and find out what your opponent did that you didn't counter, and remember for next time. And take plenty of breaks. Don't get into the "I've lost so many, I've just got to play until I win one" mentality, because down that path lays madness! 

@laserfrog said:

Hey... can I have a steak? "
    There's no such thing as a losing steak. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jeffsekai

Normally when I go on a bad losing streak like 7 games in a row its because I am just playing poorly (missing injects and crap) I just splash some water on my face to wake my self up then try hard.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Enigma777

Like a real man: Rage Quit

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.