Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Making fun of Idra

• 81 results
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amir90

So I was watching an old Idra match replay, and I noticed he went on MSN.
    My mind went far and wide and this is the result:
    (warning, 4chan stuff) edit: for some reason the image got smaller, so zoom in if you cannot see the text, lol.

No Caption Provided
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I dislike Idra. He's one of those guys that gives competitive gaming a bad name.

Gutlieb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Gutlieb
    @SpikeSpiegel: You have no clue at all.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Gutlieb said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel: You have no clue at all. "
    No clue about what? I'm confused. 0_o
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

I simultaneously enjoy Idra and hate him.  He's good, he's arrogant, he's entertaining.  So basically, it's fun to watch his escapades.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

Why you guys so mean to Idra? He's a nice fellow.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Gutlieb said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel: You have no clue at all. "
    Educate us.
    SelkciPlum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SelkciPlum

Lol... I don't think anyone's ever said "Competitive gaming is so stupid! Look at that IdrA guy rage! Man I'd be a competitive gamer if he wasn't one."

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I love Idra, probably my favorite to watch.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Rayeth

IdrA is awesome for exactly all the things he does.  If he didn't continue being an arrogant asshat, no one would like him.   Its the same reason why no one is a rabid NesTea fan and there are lots of rabid oGsMC fans.  The dude just acts like he's the shit all the time regardless of whether or not he is.  You can debate whether or not you think IdrA deserves to have such a high opinion of himself based on his results, but nothing you-- or probably anyone else-- says is going to change IdrA's mind.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By meteora

People shit on Idra because he is arrogant and of his BM. In the scene of StarCraft all of this good manner talk like glhf are overvalued and don't hold any meaning when in the end the other guy bitches at you when he loses.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By sixghost
    @Rayeth said:
    " IdrA is awesome for exactly all the things he does.  If he didn't continue being an arrogant asshat, no one would like him.   Its the same reason why no one is a rabid NesTea fan and there are lots of rabid oGsMC fans.  The dude just acts like he's the shit all the time regardless of whether or not he is.  You can debate whether or not you think IdrA deserves to have such a high opinion of himself based on his results, but nothing you-- or probably anyone else-- says is going to change IdrA's mind. "
    what? He's got plenty of fans.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Marz

At least there will always be this video.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixghost said:
    " @Rayeth said:
    " IdrA is awesome for exactly all the things he does.  If he didn't continue being an arrogant asshat, no one would like him.   Its the same reason why no one is a rabid NesTea fan and there are lots of rabid oGsMC fans.  The dude just acts like he's the shit all the time regardless of whether or not he is.  You can debate whether or not you think IdrA deserves to have such a high opinion of himself based on his results, but nothing you-- or probably anyone else-- says is going to change IdrA's mind. "
    what? He's got plenty of fans. "
    I think he's just saying Idra gets a lot more attention from everyone compared to NesTea, I watch a good bit of Starcraft and am a big fan of Idra but I never seen much of NesTea compared to Idra even if NesTea is considered better. 
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zityz

Idra is a damn good player. He's very good at what he does. It's not his raging either that is a pain, because that's fun to watch to. Why I'm not a fan of Idra is because is lack of respect towards other people he's playing. If your playing terran he's just going to bitch at you. A lot of times he NEVER GGs when he loses, and if he's winning some times he just pisses all over the other guy. 

That being said he is still a very good player and if he didn't piss all over other players, I think he would be more respected.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sixghost
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Rayeth said:
    I think he's just saying Idra gets a lot more attention from everyone compared to NesTea, I watch a good bit of Starcraft and am a big fan of Idra but I never seen much of NesTea compared to Idra even if NesTea is considered better.  "
    I guess I'm in the minority then. I've always been fans of players because of their playstyle, not how often they talk shit on teamliquid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixghost said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Rayeth said:
    I think he's just saying Idra gets a lot more attention from everyone compared to NesTea, I watch a good bit of Starcraft and am a big fan of Idra but I never seen much of NesTea compared to Idra even if NesTea is considered better.  "
    I guess I'm in the minority then. I've always been fans of players because of their playstyle, not how often they talk shit on teamliquid. "
    Well I'm not only a fan of Idra because of his smack talking but also his style and how he played through as Zerg even in the beginning, I'm just a fan plain and simple. Also like I said I haven't seen enough of NesTea to be a fan but what I did watch he seemed to be very good.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Trilogy

The only thing I don't like about Idra is his excuses for losing is always about balance. He's the worst person to listen to talk about balance in SC2 which is strange considering how well versed and skilled he is with the game. A good example of what I'm talking about is Idra blaming his losses on "Zerg being un-winnable". Another good example? Go listen to his podcast with Artosis named "Unbalanced".  I'm sure you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Other than that he's fine. People exaggerate about the guy too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixghost said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Rayeth said:
    I guess I'm in the minority then. I've always been fans of players because of their playstyle, not how often they talk shit on teamliquid. "
    This.  

My main beef with Idra is people on the ladder copying him with bm and just shit talking everywhere cause they think they are bad ass. I know it is a minority of the community but it just doesn't make the community look good when one of it's better players condones it. 
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Ben_H

The Poor IdrA video has been posted so all is well.

His stream is so funny to watch.  People wonder why he BMs people but that's because everyone BMs him.  He had to play Combat-Ex 5 times in a row and all it was was IdrA fending off Combat's increasingly hilarious BM.

He also seems to have changed his playstyle lately, he seems much more aggressive but still with his terrifying macro.

Also, this:

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

That dude must be getting so much tail with his mad Starcraft skills.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Addfwyn

I like Idra mostly, he is an excellent player and a really solid basis to watch games from when you're learning Zerg.  His style is extremely consistent, and you'll learn a great macro style of play to base your game around from watching him.   He is one of the very few foreign players that I enjoy really at all (Sen, Jinro, and Dimaga as well).  He just seems to be one of the only that can really hang in there with the Korean crowd, and actually seems like he belongs.  

His infamous 'rage' doesn't bother me either really.  While he could use a lot more tact about the way he phrases it, he is usually right at the core of it.  ZvT WAS broken for a while, though I'd say it's one of the most balanced (and fun) matchups that isn't a mirror in the game at this point.  Wish I could say the same for ZvP but well...hah.       

So yeah, fantastic and very consistent player that could use a bit more tact, but having a bit of personality is never a bad thing either.  Especially when you actually HAD to have no personality in progaming in Korea a while ago, Idra was probably bubbling over.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Rayeth said:
    Well I'm not only a fan of Idra because of his smack talking but also his style and how he played through as Zerg even in the beginning, I'm just a fan plain and simple. Also like I said I haven't seen enough of NesTea to be a fan but what I did watch he seemed to be very good. "
    IdrA's BM makes people want to cast his games more, so he gets more coverage than Nestea.  Idra ends more games with "rofl"  than he GGs.  GOM also doesn't release replays from the GSL outside of korea, so Nestea's games don't get as much air time.  Pretty sure Nestea has played Zerg since BW because his ID was Zergbong and it would be silly to have an ID with zerg in and play something else.

Nestea is sick.  His ZvZ is pretty amazing.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By raiz265
    @Ben_H: ROFL! That game... I've always wondered what that was about. :D 

Not really an IdrA hater, when he's on State of the Game and stuff he's actually pretty cool, but I couldn't stop laughing when Cruncher actually kicked his ass last weekend and finished it off with :)
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Rayeth
    @raiz265 said:
    " @Ben_H: ROFL! That game... I've always wondered what that was about. :D   Not really an IdrA hater, when he's on State of the Game and stuff he's actually pretty cool, but I couldn't stop laughing when Cruncher actually kicked his ass last weekend and finished it off with :) "
    The Idra/Cruncher game 3 was lost when Idra made drones right as cruncher pushed out.  If cruncher thinks he "crushed" him in the 3rd game, he's delusional.  Idra beat himself by over-droning.  The battle certainly looked one sided, but the game was lost by Idra not won by cruncher.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RsistncE

BM...bowel movement???

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @RsistncE: BM = Bad Manners
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sixghost
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Rayeth said:
    Well I'm not only a fan of Idra because of his smack talking but also his style and how he played through as Zerg even in the beginning, I'm just a fan plain and simple. Also like I said I haven't seen enough of NesTea to be a fan but what I did watch he seemed to be very good. "
    IdrA's BM makes people want to cast his games more, so he gets more coverage than Nestea.  Idra ends more games with "rofl"  than he GGs.  GOM also doesn't release replays from the GSL outside of korea, so Nestea's games don't get as much air time.  Pretty sure Nestea has played Zerg since BW because his ID was Zergbong and it would be silly to have an ID with zerg in and play something else.  Nestea is sick.  His ZvZ is pretty amazing. "
    Fun fact: Nestea is an absolutely awful Brood War player. He mostly was a 2v2 zerg, i.e. just about to lowest rung on the korean BW ladder.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By csl316

I love Cruncher's glhf at the beginning of game 2.  And the smiley at the end.  Bet Idra broke a keyboard after that.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sixghost
    @Addfwyn said:

" I like Idra mostly, he is an excellent player and a really solid basis to watch games from when you're learning Zerg.  His style is extremely consistent, and you'll learn a great macro style of play to base your game around from watching him.   He is one of the very few foreign players that I enjoy really at all (Sen, Jinro, and Dimaga as well).  He just seems to be one of the only that can really hang in there with the Korean crowd, and actually seems like he belongs.   His infamous 'rage' doesn't bother me either really.  While he could use a lot more tact about the way he phrases it, he is usually right at the core of it.  ZvT WAS broken for a while, though I'd say it's one of the most balanced (and fun) matchups that isn't a mirror in the game at this point.  Wish I could say the same for ZvP but well...hah.        So yeah, fantastic and very consistent player that could use a bit more tact, but having a bit of personality is never a bad thing either.  Especially when you actually HAD to have no personality in progaming in Korea a while ago, Idra was probably bubbling over. "

As much good as Idra does for Zerg with his play, he just about negates all of it by making it seem acceptable to whine and complain about every little thing. The overall bitchyness of the SC2(specifically teamliquid) community is disgusting compared to 3 years ago, and he's a huge part of why. People put way too much weight on his opinion because he's such a good player, and every chance he gets he blames losses on things out of his control(lag, balance, luck) while people eat it up. Obviously it must be true if even Idra can't win.

He just so happens to play the least successful race in SC2, but he was exactly the same way in Brood War when he played Terran, which was considered the best race(slightly). Yet he still bitched about every loss, and blamed the exact same kinds of things he blames today. Also, I have to laugh every time someone defends Idra with the "at least he shows personality" line. He has no personality outside of being mad when he loses.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cataphract1014

Has Idra ever admitted that he has been outplayed by anyone ever?

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ekajarmstro
    @SelkciPlum:  
    Competitive gaming is so stupid! Look at that IdrA guy rage! Man I'd be a competitive gamer if he wasn't one.    
    AceBlack19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By AceBlack19
    @Trilogy said:

" The only thing I don't like about Idra is his excuses for losing is always about balance. He's the worst person to listen to talk about balance in SC2.   Other than that he's fine. People exaggerate about the guy too much. "

Well said. I think one of his balance suggestions was "remove Terrain from the game."
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frankxiv
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " Has Idra ever admitted that he has been outplayed by anyone ever? "
    when he went against nada he said he only won because nada threw the game away i think
    Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spectreman

Idra has personality. A little like sheldon personality, but is fun.  Starcraft is much more interesting with players like him. :)

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Spectreman said:
    " Idra has personality. A little like sheldon personality, but is fun.  Starcraft is much more interesting with players like him. :) "
    You can have personality without being a jackass.  Huk has personality.  White-ra has personality.  DAY9 has personality.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Ben_H
    @Rayeth said:

" @raiz265 said:

" @Ben_H: ROFL! That game... I've always wondered what that was about. :D   Not really an IdrA hater, when he's on State of the Game and stuff he's actually pretty cool, but I couldn't stop laughing when Cruncher actually kicked his ass last weekend and finished it off with :) "
    The Idra/Cruncher game 3 was lost when Idra made drones right as cruncher pushed out.  If cruncher thinks he "crushed" him in the 3rd game, he's delusional.  Idra beat himself by over-droning.  The battle certainly looked one sided, but the game was lost by Idra not won by cruncher. "
    Apparently he was BMing Cruncher in between every game.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think Idra loses games on purpose so he can bitch about the game being imbalanced. I saw one of his games recently where he demonstrated just pitiful unit control, flying his mutas over stimmed marines, constantly ramming his army directly into a 200 supply MMM ball over and over, just basically using no strategy, and was BMing about how Terran is easy mode and the other guy sucked the whole time. He's like a little kid.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Ben_H said:

" @Rayeth said:

" @raiz265 said:

The Idra/Cruncher game 3 was lost when Idra made drones right as cruncher pushed out.  If cruncher thinks he "crushed" him in the 3rd game, he's delusional.  Idra beat himself by over-droning.  The battle certainly looked one sided, but the game was lost by Idra not won by cruncher. "
    Apparently he was BMing Cruncher in between every game. "
     http://www.wcreplays.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2689991&postcount=152 
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By keyhunter

If I had money on the line I'd probably get pretty fucking pissed if I lost a game.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DystopiaX
    @sixghost said:
    " @Rayeth said:
    The problem with Rayeth's theory is that there are plenty of players (Boxer, Jinro, pretty much any Korean other than MC/Zenio (to some extent), and pretty much every foreigner other than Naniwa and Idra who are well mannered and still have large fanbases. Also, Idras not so much a gigantic asshole than he says what he thinks rather than trying to be polite. I guess some people would call that being an asshole but to me it's just that he has a very specific definition of how SCII should be played (macro, somewhat safe style), and all the risky/cheese builds that many newer/less established players do just prove that those people are arrogant/cocky/terrible at the game, and that's fine. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I think that a lot of people overreact to everything he says.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DystopiaX
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Ben_H said:

" @Rayeth said:

" @raiz265 said:

Apparently he was BMing Cruncher in between every game. "
     http://www.wcreplays.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2689991&postcount=152  "
    ...that's kind of rude, but at the same time I don't think that really counts as smack talk in any community other than starcraft. But then again, that kind of talk is pretty much what you expect from Idra- he thinks that anyone who plays an all-in/agressive non-macro style is pretty bad, and his speech will reflect that since he doesn't care what other people think. Also, I agree with Rayeth, Cruncher wasn't that much better. Game 1 Idra for some reason a-moved into the colossus/void ray death ball, being to arrogant. Game 2 wasn't even close, and game 3 was more of a luck/build order win than Cruncher clearly outbeating him...yeah he got some lucky forcefields off but it wasn't really Cruncher's skill that won it for him it was Idra not making enough shit to defend. 
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By imsh_pl

I have nothing against IdrA. He's just a controversial player who isn't afraid to speak his mind up.

Also, I came to the conclusion that whenever someone receives "IdrA rage" it actually shows how badly they've beaten him.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By amir90
    @Trilogy:@Bucketdeth:@sixghost:@zityz:@Marz:@Meteora:@Rayeth:@SelkciPlum:@EvilTwin:@StarvingGamer:@SpikeSpiegel:@Gutlieb:  So, if I created a thread to make fun of Idra (which was just for fun, no big offensive stuff against Idra or something) and people made this thread about Idra himself.

Does this mean my picture was not funny? :(
    You all deserve to be banned!
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Trilogy
    @amir90 said:
    " @Trilogy:@Bucketdeth:@sixghost:@zityz:@Marz:@Meteora:@Rayeth:@SelkciPlum:@EvilTwin:@StarvingGamer:@SpikeSpiegel:@Gutlieb:  So, if I created a thread to make fun of Idra (which was just for fun, no big offensive stuff against Idra or something) and people made this thread about Idra himself.  Does this mean my picture was not funny? :( You all deserve to be banned! "
    When i said people exaggerate about him I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the people that spin wild stories about how much he rages and how bad his BM is.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By amir90

nono, I am not mad, I am just surprised no one mentioned my image :(

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spectreman
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=204838  
      Q: Your first round opponent is a relatively unknown player - Cruncher. What are your thoughts about him?

I'm approaching the match as if it were a walkover.

Q: Are you confident you can beat him? Do you expect him to do any risky strategies against you?

Yes, he's going to 4 gate all-in both games unless he decides to be clever and make voidrays or DTs. 
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By Addfwyn
    @sixghost: Sorry for the late response, I'll agree that the TL community is pretty bitchy (and they only have one player I actually really like at all anyway, which would be Jinro).   The difference between Idra's complaints and the TL community however, are that Idra actually knows what in the world he is talking about, he does this for a living.  I don't really see him complain about lag, but I DO see him complain about balance, and he is frankly usually spot on.  A lot of pro gamers don't want to discuss balance, because they could potentially get crucified for it (as can be seen readily here already) but he isn't afraid to speak his mind about the subject.  Could he do it with more tact?  Yes, probably.  Is his point still valid?  Also yes.   

Brood War's most successful race was Zerg (There's a reason such a huge percentage of pro SC2 players were zerg), he played Terran in BW back when it was also the most underpowered race for a while.  When you're doing something for your living and you gravitate towards the hardest way of doing it in order to make it better, that's pretty admirable.   

Most SC2 players do have more personality than they used to in SC1, but a lot of the SC1 players still remain somewhat emotionless because they actually were forced to basically be emotionless robots in SC1.  A bit of flair and drama in the game does some good I think.  It's not like these players are going to get into a fight after the game like I can say for some athletes (though a nerd brawl would be kind of entertaining). 

@Cataphract1014:  Yeah, he can actually be perfectly humble when it is called for.  When he won king of the beta, he actually said there were other more deserving players (Dimaga I think, he specifically referenced) and he said that Nada seemed like he threw the game they played in the GSL, because he shouldn't have won it (or at least not that easily).  Usually when he is beaten in noncheese ways, he responds pretty calmly with a gg or something.  He tends to get upset about abuse of broken mechanics seemingly most of the time. 

He's by no means the best overall player in the world (though arguably, he is mechanically the best player in the world right now) but he is a progamer that generally knows what he is talking about.  He did complain about zerg imbalance in beta too (Oh how I miss beta roaches), so it's not just the other races he complains about when they were broken.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.