Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Making fun of Idra

• 81 results
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By sixghost
    @Addfwyn said:
    " @sixghost: Sorry for the late response, I'll agree that the TL community is pretty bitchy (and they only have one player I actually really like at all anyway, which would be Jinro).   The difference between Idra's complaints and the TL community however, are that Idra actually knows what in the world he is talking about, he does this for a living.  I don't really see him complain about lag, but I DO see him complain about balance, and he is frankly usually spot on.  A lot of pro gamers don't want to discuss balance, because they could potentially get crucified for it (as can be seen readily here already) but he isn't afraid to speak his mind about the subject.  Could he do it with more tact?  Yes, probably.  Is his point still valid?  Also yes.   

Brood War's most successful race was Zerg (There's a reason such a huge percentage of pro SC2 players were zerg), he played Terran in BW back when it was also the most underpowered race for a while.  When you're doing something for your living and you gravitate towards the hardest way of doing it in order to make it better, that's pretty admirable.   

Most SC2 players do have more personality than they used to in SC1, but a lot of the SC1 players still remain somewhat emotionless because they actually were forced to basically be emotionless robots in SC1.  A bit of flair and drama in the game does some good I think.  It's not like these players are going to get into a fight after the game like I can say for some athletes (though a nerd brawl would be kind of entertaining). 

Well, I can't find the thread on TL now, since it's buried under 25 threads about SC2 MU win rates, but there was a thread that broke down historical win rates per matchup, OSL/MSL wins. Terran had the most OSL and MSL wins, as well as the highest overal win% over the life of BW. Also, I don't ever remember a time when Terran was considered underpowered. Not to mention the fact that Idra constantly complained about ZvT being easy for Zergs, despite it being one of the most imbalanced MUs in BW in favor of terran.

I remember Artosis/idra talking on SotG a long time ago, that they played random at the beginning of SC2 solely for the purpose of finding the most broken race, then choosing it. I could really care less about what people refer to as personality in SC2 players. I'd much rather have players who expressed and separated themselves from the pack by their play. I've never heard Nal_Ra say a word in a language I understand, but I'd kill to have a player in SC2 that's as entertaining as him.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Turambar

Can someone please get a "you werent lose" demotivator made, in light of this MLG's events?  I am too untalented and more importantly lazy to do that.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Ben_H
    @Turambar said:
    " Can someone please get a "you werent lose" demotivator made, in light of this MLG's events?  I am too untalented and more importantly lazy to do that. "
    It's already been done.  Check out the MLG Dallas thread on Team Liquid.  Someone already made a really good one.
    MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By MisterDunlap

He's a great player, but he can be such an asshole sometimes. I was watching one of his replays the other day in fact, and it was a really close, and hard fought game. He ended up losing, but before he did, he said that it was funny how badly he was doing since his opponent was so bad. This just sickened me. I am adamant that gamers should be polite, especially on such a highly competitive game such as SC2. It just really irritated me. I...ugh. I'm gonna go punch something.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By sodapop7

Listening to State of the Game and watching him in recent events I can now say I have zero respect for him.  In a game where it is very difficult to win consistently because the game is HARD, every loss is never his fault and it's the game or whatever other excuse he has.  Then when he wins he craps all over the other people who are trying just as hard as he is at this game we all enjoy.  I almost turned off the stream after his interview. 

I know I'm being a little too sensitive but if this is going to be presented as a "professional" sport I expect a little more professionalism especially when you've already won.  That was Xbox Live quality stuff there.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Chokobo
    @sodapop7 said:
    " Listening to State of the Game and watching him in recent events I can now say I have zero respect for him.  In a game where it is very difficult to win consistently because the game is HARD, every loss is never his fault and it's the game or whatever other excuse he has.  Then when he wins he craps all over the other people who are trying just as hard as he is at this game we all enjoy.  I almost turned off the stream after his interview.  I know I'm being a little too sensitive but if this is going to be presented as a "professional" sport I expect a little more professionalism especially when you've already won.  That was Xbox Live quality stuff there. "
    My feelings, p. much.  Hated him at first, grew to like him through GSL, but now his constant bitching and complaining have completely turned me off.

Besides, he has enough nuthuggers who enjoy his cuntiness (as this thread clearly shows).
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Bollard
    @Ben_H said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " Can someone please get a "you werent lose" demotivator made, in light of this MLG's events?  I am too untalented and more importantly lazy to do that. "
    It's already been done.  Check out the MLG Dallas thread on Team Liquid.  Someone already made a really good one. "
    Considering there are 4 different threads on TL about MLG Dallas, and each one has over 700 pages, you don't think I could ask you a favour and link me to the image please? :) I'd really appreciate it if you already knew where it was :D
    Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Rahf

It's strange, because the last 4-5 replays I've just seen the guy lose. His style for the first 10-minutes was always pretty much the same with rarely any change-ups. Macro macro macro, super early expansion and then having a hard time fending off the first offensive. His micro was pretty terrible in all those games as well. I don't know if the guy had hit tilt, or if this is how he plays all the time. 

Constantly moaning and bitching as a grown man is.. Childlike. Moaning and bitching is pretty much the only thing I've seen him do. I did, however, spot a GG once in a game. 

Guy comes off as a complete asshole. "Speaking his mind" is what we would ordinarily say about somebody we don't want to call an asshole. 

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Chokobo

Just read the TL threads.  FUCK.  Buncha weirdos and cunts over there.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By sixghost
    @Rahf said:
    " It's strange, because the last 4-5 replays I've just seen the guy lose. His style for the first 10-minutes was always pretty much the same with rarely any change-ups. Macro macro macro, super early expansion and then having a hard time fending off the first offensive. His micro was pretty terrible in all those games as well. I don't know if the guy had hit tilt, or if this is how he plays all the time.  Constantly moaning and bitching as a grown man is.. Childlike. Moaning and bitching is pretty much the only thing I've seen him do. I did, however, spot a GG once in a game.  Guy comes off as a complete asshole. "Speaking his mind" is what we would ordinarily say about somebody we don't want to call an asshole.  "
    Most of the Idra replays you'll see online are of him losing. Anyone some middling playing beats him on the ladder it get's insta-posted on every sc2 replay site on the internet, followed by 100 commented all equating to "LOL HE DIDN'T SAY GG ROFFFFFFFFFFFFL MAD"
    Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Rahf
    @sixghost: I only watch streams that are cast, though. As I said, he played with the exact same style all times, even though he lost a first match. When he was on the ropes, he just kept bashing his head against the other opponent and eventually losing.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By sixghost
    @Rahf said:
    " @sixghost: I only watch streams that are cast, though. As I said, he played with the exact same style all times, even though he lost a first match. When he was on the ropes, he just kept bashing his head against the other opponent and eventually losing. "
    Same thing applies. There were tons of shoutcasted games on youtube in the beta/early stages of release that had idra losing just so the caster could go "LOOOOL NO GG, IDRA RAGE QUITS". People love seeing idra lose.
    Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Rahf

I've been watching games from the past two months. Haven't followed Starcraft 2 for long. They've also been replays where sometimes the caster hasn't viewed the game prior to casting it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Rahf said:
    " @sixghost: I only watch streams that are cast, though. As I said, he played with the exact same style all times, even though he lost a first match. When he was on the ropes, he just kept bashing his head against the other opponent and eventually losing. "
    That's just IdrA/Korean style. Westerners have a lot of builds, but Koreans focus on having 1 or 2 super refined builds and focus on execution and stability. He's doing the same builds, yes, but that doesn't mean he's not adjusting. Adjusting in SCII isn't just about altering your builds- although that is one way, having anywhere from 5-15 builds like Western players also means they're a lot less refined. Talk to Western pros and they'll admit as much- LiquidTyler has stated that a lot of Koreans are better because he'll see them do the same exact build as a westerner yet come out with more units at the same amount of time because they spend a lot of time optimizing them. Same with IdrA- he does the same thing, but that doesn't mean that he's not adjusting or that he's never come back from a series. He's been down 1-0 a bunch of times and winning, and you don't get to the posistion he's in (top 8 this weekend in MLG Dallas, over players like HuK and the aforementioned LiquidTyler), Code S in GSL, and winner of MLG Columbus (I think? It was one of those) last year, by being a bad predictible player. 

Also, his BM is way overstated- people complain about him not gg'ing, but that's really overblown. Then he'll say things like Huk can't beat him in a straight up match (this weekend), yet that's not BM as much as it is self-confidence... he was really bad back in the Beta and in SC1 but recently I haven't seen or heard him say anything really rude or outrageous.
    Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Rahf

Good to know about the difference in play-styles between different regions.  

Note though, I did not call IdrA a bad player, that's putting words in my mouth. I did however, imply that he plays predictably. 

Claiming another player cannot beat you. Would you call that self-confidence or arrogance? It's a fine line in that case. Sounds a lot like the type of stuff boxers would do prior to a match in some sort of attempt to psyche out their opponent. The question is if that is even his intention, or if he's just a narcissist. 

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66  Edited By MisterMouse
    @zityz said:
    " Idra is a damn good player. He's very good at what he does. It's not his raging either that is a pain, because that's fun to watch to. Why I'm not a fan of Idra is because is lack of respect towards other people he's playing. If your playing terran he's just going to bitch at you. A lot of times he NEVER GGs when he loses, and if he's winning some times he just pisses all over the other guy.  That being said he is still a very good player and if he didn't piss all over other players, I think he would be more respected. "
    this.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By Cataphract1014

Listening to State of the Game last night made me realize how ridiculous Idra really is.

"Zerg is broken."  If he loses, its because his race is broken, and it is impossible to win.  If he wins, it is because he is just that much better than everyone.  Get the fuck over yourself.  JulyZerg does OK.  Dimaga did good in the GSL WC.  Just because you lost to some fucking fake Void Rays because you rage quit, does not mean that Zerg is in some terrible state where it is impossible to win.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Johnny5

"and it really makes the sport good for everybody"
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Grimluck343

I think this tweet from InControl pretty much sums up Idra's play the past few weeks:

IdrA loses 0-1 then forfeits game 2 saying "Did you see my broodlords die to his stalkers? This game is broken! 7 BL's shoulda killed all"

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Turambar
    @Grimluck343 said:
    " I think this tweet from InControl pretty much sums up Idra's play the past few weeks:

IdrA loses 0-1 then forfeits game 2 saying "Did you see my broodlords die to his stalkers? This game is broken! 7 BL's shoulda killed all"

"
    Huh?  What was this referring to?
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By frankxiv
    @Johnny5 said:

" and it really makes the sport good for everybody"

there's another video of that uploaded and the description is "jason lee tells clark kent about superman".

also, thread pairs.
    No Caption Provided
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jeffsekai

My favorite thing about idra is that Huk is just as big of a douchebag as him, but everyone gives him a free pass for what ever reason.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By haffy

Eh a lot of people arn't taking Huk too seriously now. He just doesn't voice his opinion as publicaly as Idra does, so Idra gets the majority of the hate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Turambar said:
    " @Grimluck343 said:
    " I think this tweet from InControl pretty much sums up Idra's play the past few weeks:

"
    Huh?  What was this referring to? "
    Dreamhack today. Kinda spoiler :( but yah.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Grimluck343
    @Turambar said:
    " @Grimluck343 said:

"
    I never heard the full details but it happened during one of Idra's match against TLO at DreamHack I think. Don't have time at the moment to wade through a 200+ page TL.net thread to find out more.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Turambar
    @Grimluck343 said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @Grimluck343 said:

"
    I never heard the full details but it happened during one of Idra's match against TLO at DreamHack I think. Don't have time at the moment to wade through a 200+ page TL.net thread to find out more. "
    TLO switched to Protoss?  Now that's news.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Chokobo

Idra confirming his critic's statements by his actions.

Hearty lulz here.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Grimluck343
    @Turambar said:
    " @Grimluck343 said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @Grimluck343 said:

"
    I never heard the full details but it happened during one of Idra's match against TLO at DreamHack I think. Don't have time at the moment to wade through a 200+ page TL.net thread to find out more. "
    TLO switched to Protoss?  Now that's news. "
    Now that you point that out I'm not sure what Geoff was referring too. But @MauveForest has it spot in.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Turambar
    @Grimluck343 said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @Grimluck343 said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @Grimluck343 said:

"
    TLO switched to Protoss?  Now that's news. "
    Now that you point that out I'm not sure what Geoff was referring too. But @MauveForest has it spot in. "
    Oh, it was against MC.
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Grimluck343
    @Turambar said:

Oh, it was against MC. "

Makes sense. The TL thread is hard to follow for a noob like me.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Chokobo

TL threads are hard to follow, period.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.