Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Man, I am not made for online play.

HeavyDuty32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By HeavyDuty32

I play RTS games waaaaaaay too slow for most online matches.  After getting my ass obliterated 4 times, I finally got an opponent in my last practice match that was like me, so I finally got to just sit back and turtle up, then pump out some huge units.  While the conflict between my legion of marines with 6 Thors and 2 Battlecruisers and his Ultralisks and other creepy crawlies was pretty awesome, there's way too much rushing and stuff in most matches for me to keep up.  Is there a way to play just against AI right now, or is that just gonna be in the final release?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DriveupLife

Don't worry if you're not any good. Focus on learning unit strengths weaknesses, effective scouting techniques, proper economy management, etc. You (hopefully) learn something new each game. Watch some replays, get to understand why you got obliterated.

Or, play another game that's not a lame RTS. I mean no one plays these to have fun.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rockanomics

You can play against AI but only on Very Easy, start a custom game and add an AI bot. 

I don't really know much about knowing much when it comes to Starcraft but it sounds like your just sitting back and not expanding, which I certainly did in the very few games of SC1, which I lost. 

There's always going to be a bunch of resource fields on the map and if you don't go out to grab them but your opponent does he's going to have 3-4-5x the amount of stuff to play with and you can't win like that. 

Easiest way to learn is probably just to watch your own replays. (You can do that right?) Play a game, and if you lose just see what your opponent does that screws you over, next time be ready for it.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JokerSmilez

Starcraft is a pretty fast paced game. Maybe too fast for some players. To each their own. That's why there are other games by other companies for other types of people.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seedofpower

Just mess around with the map editor. They haven't allowed custom games yet but you can still test maps that other people made.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Seedofpower said:
    " Just mess around with the map editor. They haven't allowed custom games yet but you can still test maps that other people made. "
    I have a friend that got into the beta and hasn't played a single online match. All he's doing is messing with the map editor (which is apparently very similar to the Warcraft 3 map editor).

We play Starcraft quite frequently, but only a custom map called Storm The Fort. My friend is one of the key people to have made the most recent versions of that map. Basically, we've made a whole new game. :P
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By harris

Blizzard mentioned somewhere that they currently have a matchmaking problem with the bottom 3% players. Hopefully, they'll get that fixed up by launch, and you'll be able to play against others who are at a similar skill level.

The current AI won't be of much use to you. It's only very easy, and it is *VERY* easy. It sends literally a few units to your base, and that's about it.

Try playing custom games with friends and turn the game speed down. That will help you to figure out what you need to be doing on a slower scale, so you can get a decent build order down, and then progress to faster speeds.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By wunder_

Yeah, all Ladder and most custom games start on "Faster", which, if you're used to playing on Fast or even, god forbid, Normal, Faster is insanely fast and requires you to really pick up your game. If you feel everything is moving too fast and literally think everything needs to sloooooooow down, then try a few games on Fast. Starcraft II as a beta is really no fun for players getting into the RTS scene, or even poking around. It's crazily competitive. I played a dude in Bronze when I was playing around in Custom, and that dude was serious! If you feel too overwhelmed, don't hesitate to chill until release where there will an excellent Single Player as well as a heavier player base to wade in as well as the Challenge Mode, which could help you hone your skills and learn to move and think faster in a game.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By ethan_raiden

They've actually increased the speed again since this post. It's quite hard to keep up with how fast you gain minerals if you're a new player.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

Watch a lot of games on TeamLiquid, mostly the HDH Invitational going on right now, as the pros are using everything to win that money.  You'll learn a lot of tips and standard build order that way.

Watch a lot of SC2, and learn face the CPU for Build order....and then take it to the real game.  I fucking sucked at SC1, but got better after about a month of getting my ass handed to me non-stop.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Illmatic

I play similar to you. I love to just sit back and build a formidable force rather than continue to chink away at my opponent 3 minutes in until I wear them out first. That's why on the rare RTS's I have boned up and played online I usually play on teams. That way, one of my teammates usually takes the role of rusher while I build the force for the late game play.

Nusse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Nusse

You should also remember that a lot of the people in this beta are some of the most serious players about starcraft, the level of play is probably going to drop when it releases. But also learning how to defend against cheese are probably going to be your 15 first games :(

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By sixghost
    @Nusse said:
    " You should also remember that a lot of the people in this beta are some of the most serious players about starcraft, the level of play is probably going to drop when it releases. But also learning how to defend against cheese are probably going to be your 15 first games :( "
    That's not really true. They were given out to anyone who owned a blizzard game and had a b.net account, which is largely WoW players.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jmrwacko
    @HeavyDuty32 said:
    " I play RTS games waaaaaaay too slow for most online matches.  After getting my ass obliterated 4 times, I finally got an opponent in my last practice match that was like me, so I finally got to just sit back and turtle up, then pump out some huge units.  While the conflict between my legion of marines with 6 Thors and 2 Battlecruisers and his Ultralisks and other creepy crawlies was pretty awesome, there's way too much rushing and stuff in most matches for me to keep up.  Is there a way to play just against AI right now, or is that just gonna be in the final release? "
    You have to learn how to get early units out. Those weak, tier 1 units are there for a reason. If you try to throw all your resources immediately into teching up, your economy will suffer, and you won't have an army, leading to rape. Your first focus should be to spam out marines and marauders while building your economy, then attack if your opponent hasn't attacked yet, while securing a second expansion (build another command center). Once you get a second base up and running with 8 or 10 scvs mining out minerals, you'll be set to tech up to whatever suits your fancy.

This also applies to beating back early rushes. Get out those units quickly! Also, there's no chance in hell you can beat back a zergling or early zealot rush without walling in. This means building structures all along your ramp so that they block off the ramp, preventing enemies from sneaking into your base. You can then use supply depots as a gate by lowering and raising them.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jmrwacko
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " Starcraft is a pretty fast paced game. Maybe too fast for some players. To each their own. That's why there are other games by other companies for other types of people. "
    Meh, it's really just all about learning your race's strategies and macro. So long as you can click and use the occasional hotkey, all success comes down to in Starcraft II, in the lower leagues at least, is getting over the learning curve and learning your build order and counters. Just watch one of the many great tutorials for SCII on youtube. Search huskystarcraft and hdstarcraft, they put out excellent videos and commentaries that will bump you up to bronze or silver league in no time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.