Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

To cheese or not to cheese

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

I like to open up my games as Zerg with a Zergling rush, I'm damn good at it, but it seems to make the majority of players livid.   Most good players know how to counter and usually do, so it rarely results in more than a slight advantage for me early game.    I have a hard time with the concept of forbidden tactics in strategy games, but the insults are starting to get on my nerves.  Is it so wrong to start with a so-called cheese strategy if it gets results? How is it different than bio balls and 4gate?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The way I see it there are legitimate counters to such strategies and all players are capable of executing these kinds of tactics. If people have a problem with such strategies being possible their beef should be with Blizzard, not with the players who use them.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

If you're playing against a good player, i'd recommend not cheesing, as it would put you at a disadvantage. Even though it may seem like an advantage at first, the resources and time you put into it that could've been put into other stuff really costs you. 

Oh and, i get that all the time from my bunker cheese.
    normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By normalpants

just to clarify-- this is not a standard 6 pool.  I have discovered the perfect alchemy that allows me to get a queen and overlord as the 6 lings are leaving their eggs so I am able to counter rushes while executing a rush! 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

Its only a cheese if its all in, otherwise, same old internet whiners just love to whine. 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Since you're getting a queen before attacking I'd say that's relatively legit. I can understand the abuse you're getting though, there's nothing worse than being attacked before you get your first unit out and with standard protoss and terran openers your zerglings will get there just before the first unit pops out. 

Like someone else had said though it might feel like you're gaining an advantage but good players will often hold off so well that you'll be at a disadvantage after the attack. I certainly wouldn't make it your standard opener since you'll probably struggle doing that in the top leagues.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By hungrynun

Don't fret zerg brother. I too feel the sting of "f**king zerg rushes", "zerg king of cheese" etc. Don't let them poo poo on your good fortune. You're not exploiting a glitch or cheating in anyway. You're just outsmarting and playing better than those who whine about it.

Zerg is the ultimate race. Play the haters to the ground.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By keyhunter

If people are so terrible they cant scout a 6 pool and react accordingly then they deserve to lose. I don't care how quick you get your queen out, it's always gonna put you at a disadvantage against a competent player. Even in the case of a 4 zerg bum rush on one player. By the time all your lings get killed by SCV's and a marine, you've been countered and smoked by 3 teammates. I honestly don't understand why anyone would bother.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Turambar

Cheese is cheese.  That is to say go ahead and use it.  If people lose to you, that's their problem.  The fact that you're working it into a longer game play is even better.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OmegaPirate

Most skilled players - upon seeing you are zerg, will be preparing for at very least an early rush - any one who doesn't is either  
    A) Far too busy preparing their own 4 gate / Reaper rush / cheese themselves 
    B) Not really that skilled anyway, people who don't scout / prepare for a rush deserve what they get 

Only exception to this is if you play someone who hits random - and even then, early scouting will cure what ails ya. 

Zerg rushes are a legitimate tactic that can be easily countered by people paying attention, don't let em shit on you for them slacking!

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By jayjonesjunior

if it takes skillz its legit, if not its still legit.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NoXious

Why cheese. It wont make you a better player over time...
    If you play this game for just one thing, to win, and not get better at it while you're winning -> You're doing it wrong!

And to all you Zerg defending your pathetic rush, where were you defending the Reaper? It's time to hit the Zerg as hard as Terran was hit with their harass.
    We want equality and we want it now! Stop nerfing the Humans, start nerfing the Aliens! 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @NoXious: I think the only difference is that early zerglings is so traditional and its a key part of the race. That said early reaper bunker tactics probably took more skill than early zerglings but it was also a lot more powerful. Personally I think it's the protoss that need dealing to right now. when I come up against two protoss in 2v2 a double 2 gate is crazy powerful. Especially since I've taken to not walling off against Protoss. 
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NoXious
    @gunslingerNZ:
    I just don't think nerfing the speed upgrade to require a Factory was warranted. Increase the bunker build time and reaper build time? Hell yes. It was way too strong. There was no counter for it from Zerg beyond a game crippling defense.
    But now Reapers have become useless. Who the hell wastes time making reapers and building a factory for the speed upgrade when you can just use Helions and make the switch to Thors afterwards...

2v2's are just terrible for balance though. You can take out 1 player by working together early on and then it becomes a 2v1...
    What I have seen working for a lot of Zerg in 2v2's is Zergling + Banelings and doing an early push for the mineral line of the enemy. If you get a baneling or two in there, you can take out most of their workers.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Yeah I totally agree reapers are useless after the nerf and they've effectively removed them from the game. That's probably a discussion for another topic but I think something like a drop in their speed when they're on creep or a decrease in the damage of their grenades would have been a better way of re-balancing.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShockD

Nope. Zerg rushing is a normal old strategy. It's their problem when they develop slowly and aren't ready for your attacks.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By HydraHam

Personally i hate the term cheese and the overuse of it, it's strategy and this is a strategy game, it's like complaining about a camper or someone who uses a gun like AWP in CS.

If you can cheese someone for the win do it.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spectreman

I hate 6pool, but early zergs is normal. The other player need know how to block with building and units. 

After playing with terran and protoss I started with zergs. Really cool race. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By weltal

Only thing that matters is winning.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Addfwyn
    as long as you aren't somehow exploiting a glitch in the game, it's fair game.  Any 'cheese' strategy is counterable, and tends to be very very vulnerable to early scouting. 

That said, you shouldn't rely on cheese 100% of the time to win.  Especially at higher difficulties, it'll be countered most of the games.  That's why knowing how to play a heavy macro involved game is important.  But if somebody complains "that didn't count, it was cheesy!'.  Well yes, but that's part of the game.  Do it if it works, but know other options too, don't just rely on it.  

@NoXious:  
    I dunno, zerg doesn't have that many 'cheese rushes'.  If you die to a 6 pool well...you never scouted because it's the easiest 'cheese' to counter really.  Any kind of early rush with a zerg is basically an all-in, because you are eviscerating your own economy more than the other races even.
    ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ekajarmstro

While I don't suggest cheesing because you won't become a better player, all the cheeses are balanced and stoppable (at least in 1v1, I still have no idea how to stop ling/reaper or ling/marine in 2v2).

Plus, attacking with early zerglings isn't really a cheese if you are getting a queen. Straight up 6 pools will die to just workers I find.

Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Lev

When you said "to cheese or not to cheese", the first thing that came to my mind was strapping a male cat up in a device with its ass in your face and then getting it to spray piss on you. But I guess that's just me.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeffsekai

If you want to be good at the game and not get cheap wins, dont cheese. Focus on getting better and getting to high leagues. 

Then cheese.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By raiz265

Not really a fan of cheese... 

Have done it a few times in 2on2 during beta, but apart from that, not really...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator

A zergling rush is far from unbeatable, if players aren't going to scout properly then they have nobody to blame but themselves :D 

Also if you don't anticipate an early zerg rush automatically then you are a chump.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JokerSmilez

Reminds me of players in Street Fighter complaining about throws or constant fireballs. Whining about "cheese" just means you're a bad player. Complaining someone only beat you because they're "not playing it right" is the definition of being a sore loser. 

And I don't know how "cheesy" a zerg rush is. It's not exactly a new thing: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ling+rush (notice the date that definition was submitted). The Zerg is designed to be a race built around speed and aggression. Whining about a player using those things to his advantage is silly.  

If you want to complain about Zerg rushes, go back 10 years when Spawning Pools only cost 150 minerals and a good Zerg player could have Zerglings in your base before the 2 minute mark. That was cheese and Blizzard agreed, increasing the cost with a patch. 

But like anything else, if you're good enough you'll be able to counter it effectively and nullify any advantage the other player might have gained. Same reason why when the game first came out you saw people using the cannon rush tactic as Protoss. That hasn't been a viable tactic in competitive Starcraft for years so it's only natural that old veterans would try it against new players just for laughs and then those new players learn it and use it against other new players. Ultimately after enough time has passed and all the new players learn how to counter it, no one tries it anymore. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.