Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Wanna Fight a Noob?

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

Just wondering if anyone is up for hand holding me some. Helping me learn a little bit. I just got into beta and have no idea what I'm doing. My RTS prowess is basically zero. So I'm pretty much starting from as close to the bottom as you can get. I've just started watching some replays. I heard that's a fast way to learn, and I figured being in game with somebody would help me even more.

I'm not sure how well the in-game voice chat works, but I have a 10 person Teamspeak server that could be used if you wanted.

I also tried added everyone from the "I got into beta" list, but a lot of those names I put in said it "couldn't be found." So that's why I started this new thread.

aTeddyBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By aTeddyBear

msg me whenever i'm on, i'll help you out
    ateddybear.ateddybear 

Sporkbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sporkbane

sporkbane.sporkbane

I think lol

let me know if you want tips. I play random so I have a pretty good grasp off all 3 races

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MAST:  If you're NEW, you're a NEWB, not a NOOB. 

noobs = assholes / ignorant people / trolls / dummies
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By ToxicAntidote
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @MAST:  If you're NEW, you're a NEWB, not a NOOB.  noobs = assholes / ignorant people / trolls / dummies "
    "Noob" is a variant form of "Newb". "Newb" comes from "Newbie" which is a slang for newcomer or just describes a person who's inexperienced, in whatever situation it may be. 
    Also, those who uses "Noob" as an insult are "Noobs" in a way, since they don't really know the meaning of the word.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MythDarK said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @MAST:  If you're NEW, you're a NEWB, not a NOOB.  noobs = assholes / ignorant people / trolls / dummies "
    "Noob" is a variant form of "Newb". "Newb" comes from "Newbie" which is a slang for newcomer or just describes a person who's inexperienced, in whatever situation it may be.  Also, those who uses "Noob" as an insult are "Noobs" in a way, since they don't really know the meaning of the word. "
    Why would Noob = Newb = Newbie when there's already "newb" and "newbie" ? And even if it is, it should lose that meaning and have the meaning that, well, 97% of the internet population uses the word for, which is the insult
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By ToxicAntidote
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @MythDarK said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    "Noob" is a variant form of "Newb". "Newb" comes from "Newbie" which is a slang for newcomer or just describes a person who's inexperienced, in whatever situation it may be.  Also, those who uses "Noob" as an insult are "Noobs" in a way, since they don't really know the meaning of the word. "
    Why would Noob = Newb = Newbie when there's already "newb" and "newbie" ? And even if it is, it should lose that meaning and have the meaning that, well, 97% of the internet population uses the word for, which is the insult "
    Do you ask the same question when there's new variants of "Noob" every now and then? Like "Nub / Nib / Nab / Niblet" etc?
    Then I guess epic should be used instead of awesome, which is what most of the internet population already do.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MythDarK: Theres a big difference between noob/newb and epic/awesome
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By MAST
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " ...97% of the internet population uses the word for, which is the insult "
    Wow, people still use that word as an insult? That's kinda ... Sad. In my opinion, that word has completely lost it's kick. I'm not sure if it's because I've gotten older, now have a life, and just don't care about people calling me a noob anymore. Or if it's because it's just been used so much that it no longer carries any weight. I mean, I had someone call me a "noob" before because I said I didn't like spaghetti.
    The word "fanboy" is similar. It's just been thrown around so much, and so often. It has just lost it's meaning. It gets to a point where people use a word so much, that instead of getting upset about it (which is the intended purpose of an insult) most people just roll their eyes, and move on.

I've actually almost got to the point where I consider it a complement if someone calls me a noob. Because to me, it means I have better things to do then become "pro" at a video game. Which is how I want it. The day I become so good that I'm winning 80-90% of the time, and people start spectating my replays like mad, and I gain some amount of notoriety. That's the day I toss said game into the garbage, because obviously a silly video game has become waaaayy too important to me.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By raiz265

Since you're probably playing on the US servers and I'm not a good teacher anyway I'm just going to throw some links at you that might be useful :D 

If you're wondering about the abilities of you own and especially unknown enemy units, take a look at this:  http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page 
    It's a wiki so it might be outdated at some points, but I'd say it's pretty reliable for the basic info.  
    They also have a strategy section there, giving some basic buildorders and tips on how to improve your gameplay and stuff...  http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Strategy

Streams/Video on demand! They are even better than replays imho. The problem I had with replays was that I just didn't know where and what to look for because there's just too much happening... In the streams you either have players playing live themselves, maybe even talking while playing, or you have them shoutcasting matches and replays... So you're more likely to see the important stuff.
    http://www.teamliquid.net/sc2/  
    There's a updated list with streams from the TL-community, some of them are really top level players. 

Day[9]'s stream could prove especially useful. As he totally turns every replay and match he's commentating inside out and points out every little nuance... Tho it could be a bit too much in the beginning :D 
     http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=104154 

A good place to get some top-level replays is this one. 

Sr_Pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sr_Pumpkins

Hey everyone,  
    A friend and I have been playing for a week or two and we have a basic grasp on the game mechanics. I have been playing zerg and him protoss, and we are doing ok in the early game.. I find it kind of hard to find legit build orders though, and there's a lot of minor stuff both of us need help with. If anyone wants to help and play with me (or us, depending on if my friend is on) that would be cool. 
    I guess you have to add with emails now, so my bnet email is anthonyjestrella@gmail.com

freeground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By freeground

A bit late but I'm freeground.nash so if anyone wants to play just tell me, however I'm in South Africa so i'm seven hours later than America.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.