Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Link & Controller

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been using a Steam Link and Steam Controller for a while now, and I am very happy with them. PC has been my main system for gaming for a long time, but I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to be hunched over a desk with a keyboard and mouse.

It took some time to get used to the Steam Controller because of its touch pad in place of the right analogue stick, but I'd say that I've reached a point where I'll happily use it to play any game. This includes games that require some precision on the right stick, like first-person shooters, although I wouldn't want to play online against KB&M users. You can use a wired controller (PS4, Xbox, Logitech) if you don't like the Steam Controller and you will get the same level of button customisation.

My current network is set up with a 5-port switch, which is connected to my PC, the Steam Link, a 4k TV and an Xbox One. This is all in the spare bedroom and connects to my router, which is in the living room, via a powerline adapter. On this setup, the Steam Link runs at an absolutely flawless 60fps with no hitching whatsoever (but it does crash from time to time) and streams in 1080p, then upscales into 4K on the TV. It looks fantastic.

With the UI of Steam's Big Picture mode and the amount of customisation on the controller, it almost rivals the 'user-friendliness' of consoles. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that is a PC gamer, but would like to be able to lay on a bed or recline on a couch instead of sitting at a desk.

The reason I'm posting is to see if any of you use the Steam Link or Steam Controller (or both) and can recommend any games that play really well with the controller?

Also, I'm interested in seeing how people have it set up and what their experience has been.

metricchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using a Steam Link with a PS3 controller for some time now and it works great (wired gigabit network). Since my PC is in the office upstairs the Link is often used with couch-multiplayer games when I have friends over. Stuff like Overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime works well on it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

Steam controller is great for specific game types(Single player strategy/Arpgs/ etc), i wouldn't use it for any type of first or third person action game though. Never tried a steam link but i did stream to my laptop a few times and it worked ok over wired but the resolution dipped a lot at times.

Chuwero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam link supports any bluetooth controllers too. New Xbox one, PS4 and recently the Switch Pro Controller.

All ace and great with the steam link!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.