Steam rises to 65 million active users, eclipsing Xbox Live

#1 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

The Verge: Steam rises to 65 million active users, eclipsing Xbox Live

"Steam now has more than 65 million active accounts. The figure marks a 30 percent rise in players over the last year. The video game digital-download platform also boasts daily peak concurrent users of more than 6 million"

" in the same year its two major console competitors are releasing new machines. In contrast to Steam's figures, Microsoft's Xbox Live has 48 million accounts"

"Sony and Microsoft's still focus on providing an online ecosystem for games obtained through physical media. But these new figures do suggest that Steam doesn't have to worry about being eclipsed: its users on their own are numerous enough to make the service a worthy competitor"

-I'm not a console hater I had a bunch of consoles since the Atari days, but these days with PC, Tablets, Smartphones, and Ultrabooks really seems like the old console way is redundant.

-Risk adverse unimaginative AAA industry is not really making a case for next gen either: Battlefield the fourth, hee no thanks I have it on PC. Modern Warfare the 20th, woops maybe wait for steam sale.

-And then there is the Console manufacturers with their ancient DRM policies, not helping either: Wii-U hardware bond downloads!? seriously are you kidding me... haven't they learnt anything from the Apple store?

#2 Edited by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

Breaking news: Numbers of people play games on platforms! and a platform that can be downloaded free on any computer is the most populous!

Film at 11

#3 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

This makes me wonder when a new service will surface that is even better than Steam. In 5 years, 10?

It is interesting that we have all of these games and apps tied to one specific service, and should Steam keel and die all of our digital goods in their part of the cloud will disappear with it.

#4 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Breaking news: Numbers of people play games on platforms! and a platform that can be downloaded free on any computer is the most populous!

Film at 11

Free? I bet my ass League of Legends has done more money than GTAV or COD.

#5 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@freshbandito said:

Film at 11

Man league of legends is so free!

#6 Edited by iAmJohn (6121 posts) -
@donpixel said:

@freshbandito said:

Film at 11

You kind of missed the point there. Actually, let me rephrase - you completely missed the point there.

#7 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Steam stopped me from pirating games. They made it easier to play games than torrenting and cracking them. That's good enough for me.

#8 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -
#9 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@verendus said:

@donpixel: Way to miss a point there.

yeah I re-read that... that´s what I get for posting a quick answer while being distracted

#10 Edited by l4wd0g (1959 posts) -
#11 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

This makes me wonder when a new service will surface that is even better than Steam. In 5 years, 10?

It is interesting that we have all of these games and apps tied to one specific service, and should Steam keel and die all of our digital goods in their part of the cloud will disappear with it.

At this point I'd say that Valve has become a company so large that it won't just "keel over and die". It would be a pretty slow death.

Anyway, this isn't really surprising. Turns out that people like being entertained. Turns out that people like being entertained on the cheap. Turns out that Steam has a lot of cheap, entertaining stuff that will run on practically anything you can buy in your local Wal-Mart.

#12 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -

The more interesting, useful and relevant information would be the average number of games a Steam user owns vs. Xbox or Playstation as well as the average dollar amount spent.

As for this: whatever.

#13 Edited by Nictel (2417 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

The more interesting, useful and relevant information would be the average number of games a Steam user owns vs. Xbox or Playstation as well as the average dollar amount spent.

Through the store? I am going to guess those numbers are going to be insane. Steam sales.. Steam sales.. Steam Sales. Same for average games owned. Too many cheap games and big bundles sold on the Steam store. I am not average but for me it would be 50:1 game wise on Xbox and (because of PS+) 5:1 on PS3.

@l4wd0g That's not a fair comparison, how many of those PCs are for schools, businesses and such?

#14 Posted by gike987 (1758 posts) -
@nictel said:

@geraltitude said:

Through the store? I am going to guess those numbers are going to be insane. Steam sales.. Steam sales.. Steam Sales. Same for average games owned. Too many cheap games and big bundles sold on the Steam store. I am not average but for me it would be 50:1 game wise on Xbox and (because of PS+) 5:1 on PS3.

@l4wd0g That's not a fair comparison, how many of those PCs are for schools, businesses and such?

Yeah it would probably be pretty insane. I own 426 games on steam, that's more than I have owned on all consoles combined, and I have seen many with even more games.

#15 Posted by EXTomar (4765 posts) -

The most played game has been Solitaire/Freecell/Minesweeper.

#16 Posted by fisk0 (4168 posts) -

@l4wd0g said:

in other news, the number of PC's sold in just the US during 2011 outsells the entire world wide lifespan of the Xbox 360.

It's all about how you look at the numbers.

355.12 million PCs sold worldwide in 2011 / 65 million steam users = 18% of users

50 million world wide Xbox 360 sales in 2011 / 30 million Xbox live users = 60%

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/05/xbox-360-hits-50-million-worldwide-xbox-live-users-top-30-milli/

Does that mean around 40% of all 360's are never connected to the Internet? You need an account to access the store, download patches and stuff like that, don't you? I may of course be wrong, since I've never had a 360 and don't really know how that stuff works on the system.

How common would you say it is to have multiple accounts on the same Xbox by the way, wouldn't that make the possible number of non-connected 360's even larger?

#17 Posted by HistoryInRust (6321 posts) -

Some vague press-speak here. What does "active accounts" mean? How many folks are like me and have purchased all of one game from Steam in the last three years and just let their account idle there? Also helps that Steam is a free service with no direct hardware buy-in requisite (a'la PSN to PS3).

That aside, still impressive. Glad Steam's doing so well. It's a fantastic service.

#18 Posted by Kidavenger (3569 posts) -

@nictel said:

@geraltitude said:

As many games as a lot of us own on Steam, there are so many people I see on there that have nothing but Dota 2 or TF2 on their account and that's all they play. I'll bet a huge percentage of that 65 million are free to play folks that never spend a dime.

I wonder if that 48 million live customers is only people that have Gold, I would have guessed the number to be higher.

Maybe not, how many consoles have they sold and are still in use? 48 million would probably be pretty close.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4368 posts) -

Sounds good.

Steam stopped me from pirating games. They made it easier to play games than torrenting and cracking them. That's good enough for me.

This is what stopped me too and now I like paying for games and supporting developers that make the games I like

#20 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Two of those accounts are mine. One I had before I owned a decent PC, and I only used it to play free Peggle. Some dude stole the account, and Valve won't give it back to me because I never bought a game on it grrrr....

#21 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5589 posts) -

We are legion!

#22 Posted by Vuud (2013 posts) -

Not surprising since Steam has no real competitors unlike consoles. And there are plenty of games that require steam as DRM.

#23 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -

@nictel said:

@geraltitude said:

As many games as a lot of us own on Steam, there are so many people I see on there that have nothing but Dota 2 or TF2 on their account and that's all they play. I'll bet a huge percentage of that 65 million are free to play folks that never spend a dime.

I wonder if that 48 million live customers is only people that have Gold, I would have guessed the number to be higher.

Maybe not, how many consoles have they sold and are still in use? 48 million would probably be pretty close.

Yeah this is a big part of why it would be fascinating to me, and, more importantly, I'm certain seeing that data would inspire console market's to embrace sales. My thought is all the F2P players still won't drag the average number of games purchased down to anywhere near console numbers. On the other hand imagine comparing that data to the amount of games and dollars spent with mobile consumers.

#24 Posted by The_Vein (308 posts) -
#25 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

sigh, remember that 10 year anniversary a few months back and Activision had a 15% off CoD. Sigh, good times.

#26 Edited by BigJeffrey (5022 posts) -

there should be more users, there are like 1 billion pc

#27 Posted by ripelivejam (4063 posts) -

what does it feel like to be eaten by gabe.................

#28 Edited by RobotHamster (4172 posts) -
#29 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

For those curious, I think RPS confirmed active means the account has been logged into in the past fortnight

#30 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5589 posts) -

@robothamster: Yeah. It very aptly depicts what life is like on that fateful beginning day of a major Steam sale.

#31 Posted by dudeglove (7902 posts) -

Steam stopped me from pirating games. They made it easier to play games than torrenting and cracking them.

Kind of (but not) in the same boat. Statements like that indicate that Valve/Gabe has all but proven that "pirates" are pretty much unsatisfied customers. Sure there's probably some evil DRM-policy lurking in the depths of the Steam EULA agreement, but, hell, I've had a far better experience with it than I have with iOS or PSN. They know how to trade in good will. Christ, they even make games out of buying games like with the Summer Sale achievements in the past and cross-game trading.

Yes, it's by no means perfect (SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK IS IT WITH STAGGERED RELEASE DATES WITH DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION?) and it took them a hell of a long time to get where they are, but at least they're making steps in the "right" direction. Who gives a shit about HL3 at this point, when they're too busy transforming the way games actually reach consumers?

#32 Edited by TopCat88 (176 posts) -

@nekroskop said:

Me too. I've even gone back and bought games I previously torrented. If the price is low and the install is easier and guaranteed to work I'm happy to buy everything on Steam.

EDIT: @robothamster I wonder if the misuse of wait/weight is a mistake or a parody of bad subtitles. I'm not trying to pick holes in the video, just wondering.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.