Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Switching to Windows for gaming, got a question!

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VirtuaXav

Greetings fellow duders, 
    Just got a question. I just got a new macbook pro, I installed steam and a few games from steam on it. I'm thinking of dual booting with windows so I've got access to a wider range of PC games. I was wondering if I buy Windows 7 and download steam again will I be able to download those games again at no extra cost? 

I'm sure someone here can help me, thanks in advance!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

If you buy games on Steam they are linked to your account. You can install STEAM and download each game at no cost, yes. It isn't like itunes where you have to recover your purchases or anything like that.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dipstick

Once you buy it,you can download it and install it on anything (as many times as you want)

Wolfenhex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolfenhex

Only "Steam Play" games can be played on Mac and Windows with no additional purchase needed.  However, I believe at the moment all the Mac games support this.  I just wanted to mention it in case they add games that don't support it in the future.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VirtuaXav

Sounds cool guys. I figured it would be ok, just needed some confirmation. 

Even if it doesn't work I'll only miss out on $20USD so it's not a huge deal anyway. 
    Looks like I'll be ok anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just make sure you use the same Steam account details and you can play your games on any computer.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Feanor

It works. I have my steam games installed on 3 different computers, one of them being a mac. They all boot and play just fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.