Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Transferring Origin purchases to Steam.

Porkellain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Porkellain

So yeah, I just preordered SimCity Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin (I am THAT crazy, it seems).

In addition to my fancy new game I've been given a special in-game building (Diamond Park) AND a 20 Euro coupon to use for a future purchase (until March 31st, unfortunately). I wanted to use it for BF3 since today it's on offer at 19.95 Euros, but guess what? The coupon can only be used with a 30 Euros-minimum purchase, so fuck it.

I might decide to get the fantastic EuroTruck Simulator 2, but since I see Origin as a necessary evil to cope with to play SimCity and I want to keep as many games as possible in my Steam library, I was wondering if it's possible to "transfer" ETS to Steam so that I can play with it and download it from there without passing through EA's menacing hands.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, can I have the procedure explained, or a link to it?

Many thanks, have a good day duders.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You cannot transfer purchases across distribution platforms.

In layman's terms, that means if you buy it Origin, you've got to play it through Origin, and if you buy it through Steam, then you've got to play it on Steam. You can't buy it on Origin and then download it through Steam without ever seeing Origin again.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3 MattyFTM  Moderator

Some developers will provide Steam keys if you provide them with proof of purchase. Failing that, the only way to do it is to add it to Steam as a non-steam game, but that just means you can launch it via Steam.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I was able to redeem codes for some EA games I got through Steam in Origin. Games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon: Origins, The Sims 3, etc. Don't know if there was a grace period for when that was possible, but it was at least possible at some point. Never heard of Origin codes redeemable through Steam, however. You could just have Steam add a shortcut to Origin so you can use the in-game user interface of Steam when you launch a game through Origin.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made some research for you and I found this link:

http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/37159-is-there-a-way-to-transfer-origin-games-to-my-steam-account/

There's some interesting post like this one:

Go to your steam library on the bottom left corner, click on "Add A Game" select "add a non-steam game" and browse for the exe. And you're done.

Edit: I realize that I wrote key instead of exe. I'm sorry.

And this one for the other way around (Steam to Origin)

Yeah it's possible with certain games, like the HGLatinBoy mention just search for the key through Steam and add the key to Origin. I transferred Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 1&2, ME2, Shift 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit over from Steam to Origin. ME1 and Bulletstorm were no good though.

Only works for EA games though.

Didn't try the first one so might not work.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you can add the games manually to your steam list but that will still launch origin so..........

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Euro Truck Sim 2 is not a steamworks game, so no you can't.

you can add the games manually to your steam list but that will still launch origin so..........

That's clearly not what he's asking...

Porkellain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Porkellain

@darklight: Yea, I tried that already with my League of Legends launcher just for the lols and it does work, but that just doesn't add any of the Steam features, nor makes it possible to update/install the game via Steam (I know that LoL has NOTHING to do with Steam, but the situation wouldn't change anyway for other games). OP in that thread had the same thought anyway, it would be cool if you had a serial key to activate in whatever platform you prefer (a-la-Gamersgate).

What really bugs me is that after I purchased SimCity I read (correct me if I'm wrong) that when you buy a game on Origin you are forced to download it not later than 30 days after the purchase and then you're advised to back it up on a DVD or similar stuff. I don't really like that, I want to do like on Steam where I purchased Saints Row The Third during Holiday Sales and I still haven't downloaded it because I have another fuckton of games to finish!

I might do as @mattyftm recommended and ask SCS if it's possible to have a serial key for ETS, or just pretend the coupon never existed, after all I already knew I'd spend 80 Euros for SimCity and another game is not that necessary.

PS. Big shutdown we had today, isn't it?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

In layman's terms, that means if you buy it Origin, you've got to play it through Origin, and if you buy it through Steam, then you've got to play it on Steam. You can't buy it on Origin and then download it through Steam without ever seeing Origin again.

Well, I don't know if its like this for every game but when I bought Alice :Madness Returns on steam a Orgin copy showed up in my account for download.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

@darklight: That first method doesn't mean you add that game to your Steam account, you're just adding it to your Steam Library on that specific computer. Essentially you're just launching the game with the Steam Overlay.

Porkellain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*UPDATE*

For the ones who can afford to give a fuck about the matter, I sent an email to SCS today regarding the possibility to have a Product Key after giving proof of purchase, as @mattyftmsuggested. I received a reply from them after just 2 hours (which is incredibly fast, if you consider the fact that it's Sunday) telling me that I'll receive a Product Key anyway and that it can be used to activate the game on Steam as well. I can now dive into ETS2's pure trucking awesomeness!

So yea, I think that asking support service before buying a game is the way to go.

Have a good one.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@believer258 said:

Well, I don't know if its like this for every game but when I bought Alice :Madness Returns on steam a Orgin copy showed up in my account for download.

A lot a EA games bought on Steam will show up on Origin if at any point they required you to log into your EA account or with a lot of others you can take the Steam CD key and redeem it on Origin.

I know that Dead Space 2 popped up on Origin automatically and i was able to redeem a bunch of others. It was pretty cool with BF BC2 because i only had the regular edition on Steam but redeeming the key on Origin allowed me to select the deluxe edition which includes the Vietnam DLC.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the opposite happened to me,as said before,I have Alice:Madness returns in Steam,and it appeared on my origin account as well.Dont know if goes the other way around :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.