Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Valve Finally Addresses Electronic Arts' Problems With Steam

• 163 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    There are still EA games available on Steam, just not all the EA games you may want to buy.
    There are still EA games available on Steam, just not all the EA games you may want to buy.

Valve has been silent as Electronic Arts has blasted alleged changes in policy on Steam, prompting a bunch of EA games to come down from the service. EA has even gone so far as to publicly state Battlefield 3 would likely not be released on Steam at launch.

I've asked Valve to comment multiple times--but nothing.

At Gamescom, Valve founder Gabe Newell has been talking to the press about the newly announced Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Develop asked Newell about EA, and while he didn't explain what's happening in much detail, Valve didn't throw EA under the bus.

"I don’t think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," he said. "We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that."

There are some clear issues separating EA and Valve at the moment, and Valve appears hopeful to make the case to EA that the benefits of working within its system is worth it.

Crysis 2, Dragon Age II and others have been removed the past few months, as EA voiced concerns about its ability to communicate and sell content to consumers. EA had pointed towards its exclusivity deals over downloadable content with other distributors as one issue, but Newell makes it sound like there are larger philosophical debates about digital at play here.

"It’s our duty to demonstrate [value] to them," he said. "We don’t have a natural right to publish their games."

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Valve has been silent as Electronic Arts has blasted alleged changes in policy on Steam, prompting a bunch of EA games to come down from the service. EA has even gone so far as to publicly state Battlefield 3 would likely not be released on Steam at launch.

I've asked Valve to comment multiple times--but nothing.

At Gamescom, Valve founder Gabe Newell has been talking to the press about the newly announced Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Develop asked Newell about EA, and while he didn't explain what's happening in much detail, Valve didn't throw EA under the bus.

"I don’t think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," he said. "We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that."

There are some clear issues separating EA and Valve at the moment, and Valve appears hopeful to make the case to EA that the benefits of working within its system is worth it.

Crysis 2, Dragon Age II and others have been removed the past few months, as EA voiced concerns about its ability to communicate and sell content to consumers. EA had pointed towards its exclusivity deals over downloadable content with other distributors as one issue, but Newell makes it sound like there are larger philosophical debates about digital at play here.

"It’s our duty to demonstrate [value] to them," he said. "We don’t have a natural right to publish their games."

Sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sinful

yep i see....just more jibber jabber PR talk.

by the way pat...still need to lrn to proofread your stuff....it's spelled "Bus" not "Buss"
    maybe if you cut your beatuful hair youll be able to see what you post.
    and send your locks to me for my "things to sniff" collection.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TehJedicake

Finally

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

EA has to give in to Steam in the end, people don't want to go to their Origin platform no matter how good or bad it is.

Steam's where it's at.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lockwoodx

Kill them with kindness Gabe. EA is digging themselves a shallow grave.

trombone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trombone
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By patrickklepek

Christ, you guys are fast. I've changed it and you still managed to catch it. I need a faster computer.

bug9329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bug9329

This is the first positive thing I've heard about the whole situation.   I'm am pessimistic about it getting fully resolved, but perhaps some the removed games can be added back to Steam.

kcp12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kcp12

OH SNAP...OH NO HE DIDNT
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MisterMouse

Well, that doesn't let us no much... hopefully they will let us know what is really going on.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Nubster
    @patrickklepek said:

Christ, you guys are fast. I've changed it and you still managed to catch it. I need a faster computer.

It means you've got fans, at least. 

On another note, Gabe (and the direction he has Valve going in) is ridiculously positive. I can't believe how nice this guy is. No pointing fingers, no bad names, no praise of Steam; just, "There are issues between us and I understand that EA has the right do do it's own thing. However, it would be nice if they came back and I'm gonna try and convince them to."
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Vorbis

Hopefully the full page ad of PRE-ORDER MODERN WARFARE 3 currently on the Steam Store page will be enough to change EAs mind about not putting BF3 on Steam.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Enigma777

@Vorbis said:

Hopefully the full page ad of PRE-ORDER MODERN WARFARE 3 currently on the Steam Store page will be enough to change EAs mind about not putting BF3 on Steam.

Lol, I saw that and thought the same thing.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By crusader8463

Nothing will happen until after Battlefield 3 launches. If it does well in sales on PC then EA will keep doing this with all their games from this point on. If it tanks then they will come crawling back to Steam and say sorry for leaving. So here's to hoping people don't buy it! I know I don't plan to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well that's kind of informative, Gabe?

I want the future to be every major publisher having it's own download service.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CosmicQueso

@The_Nubster said:

On another note, Gabe (and the direction he has Valve going in) is ridiculously positive. I can't believe how nice this guy is. No pointing fingers, no bad names, no praise of Steam; just, "There are issues between us and I understand that EA has the right do do it's own thing. However, it would be nice if they came back and I'm gonna try and convince them to."

Because it's just business, and Gabe's a business person. The only emotional nonsense that causes internet rage comes from fanboys who confuse Steam's brand identity with their own personal identity. Or something.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By tourgen

I think in the long run EA should consider providing value to their customers in exchange for their cash.  Abusing customers for short term gains or to make them buy your game IN SPITE of your annoying business decisions is not good for EA or the industry.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chilibean_3

That's a pretty reasonable response by Gabe. Dude is pretty cool.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crusader8463
    @Brodehouse said:
    Well that's kind of informative, Gabe? I want the future to be every major publisher having it's own download service.
    Why would you want something as stupid as that to happen?
    sirchode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#20  Edited By sirchode

Stay classy, Gabe. No really. I think he handled the question well.

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jeffk38uk

Clearly Valve are just going to continue to tolerate and love the crap out of EA. :P

Also, that is a really old screenshot of steam, damn.

FriskyHeadCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FriskyHeadCrab

Wow, moral high ground ahoy. I'm kind of impressed.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By White_Silhouette

Well that really doesn't give us any info. Not that I'd expect it. The business world isn't going to ever let the press know the whole story if they can help it.

Either way doesn't matter. I don't have a problem giving Origin a shot. Competition isn't a bad thing, but would be nice if the games came to Steam.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august

@Sinful said:

yep i see....just more jibber jabber PR talk. by the way pat...still need to lrn to proofread your stuff....it's spelled "Bus" not "Buss" maybe if you cut your beatuful hair youll be able to see what you post. and send your locks to me for my "things to sniff" collection.

You have an interesting fantasy life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463
    @Brodehouse said:
    Well that's kind of informative, Gabe? I want the future to be every major publisher having it's own download service.
    Steam and Xbox and Playststion are another step in the puzzle between game and player. Everyone likes the idea of supporting developers. Right now the steps are Developer-Publisher-Consoleholder-Retail. Digital side steps the retailer. Everyone having their own digital service makes it developer-publisher. As soon as you can find a way to sidestep the publisher, we should go for it.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm

I wish somebody would just come out and say what the hell happened exactly. Everybody is just like, "yeah, this thing that changed, changed, and now we can't do that thing!" This is all super generic public relations talk that tells nothing of the actual incident.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By kollay

"We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam"

The amount of people who use it isn't proof enough?

EDIT: Also, holy fucking shit. The MW3 ad in Steam is taking up 1/3 of the fucking page.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By D_W

To me it sounds like EA wants their digital service to be the only place to sell their games.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By patrick

Holy ancient Steam window.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By august

@Napalm said:

I wish somebody would just come out and say what the hell happened exactly. Everybody is just like, "yeah, this thing that changed, changed, and now we can't do that thing!" This is all super generic public relations talk that tells nothing of the actual incident.

EA is selling their games on Steam, but the only way to get the DLC for those games is through Origin. So basically they're using Steam to push their own competing platform.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By artofwar420

I hope in the end we get a better service, just not more services.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Nubster
    @CosmicQueso said:

@The_Nubster said:

Because it's just business, and Gabe's a business person. The only emotional nonsense that causes internet rage comes from fanboys who confuse Steam's brand identity with their own personal identity. Or something.

I get that it's all business, but Gabe Newell is a charming, funny guy who's done some pretty awesome stuff, like have a video conference with some high school students . He comes off as a nice, rational guy who isn't all corporate and cold. Even though his main interest is business, you have to have a passion to get places. I don't doubt that Gabe genuinely cares about the things he talks about. Of course, when it comes down to it all, it is business, but a truly talented author doesn't just write words for money. I think the same would go for anyone in any field.
    EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EgoCheck616

@artofwar420 said:

I hope in the end we get a better service, just not more services.

This x1000.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mosdl

@Vorbis said:

Yeah, that is great timing.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By ItBeStefYo

EA want people to actually use origin, but i dont think anyone will want to ever. I dont think they will back down but they will lose out if they dont play along.

Sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sinful
    @august: nothing fantasy about my life. by the way..how long is your hair? not the ones on the top of your head..*wink*
    zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zolloz89

i think its hilarious that i was cleaning out my inbox and found that ea origins switch in my junk mail. 
    though i think they should have commented earlier on all the bullshit, thank god we get a decent response.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By onan

@Sinful said:

yep i see....just more jibber jabber PR talk.

Yep, that's Gabe Newell for you, best PR guy in the business. :)

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Codeacious
    @kollay said:

Also, holy fucking shit. The MW3 ad in Steam is taking up 1/3 of the fucking page.

And yet it's still selling less than From Dust. 

MW3 probably won't do so well on the PC, methinks.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crusader8463
    @Brodehouse said:
    @crusader8463
    @Brodehouse said:
    Steam and Xbox and Playststion are another step in the puzzle between game and player. Everyone likes the idea of supporting developers. Right now the steps are Developer-Publisher-Consoleholder-Retail. Digital side steps the retailer. Everyone having their own digital service makes it developer-publisher. As soon as you can find a way to sidestep the publisher, we should go for it.
    Needing to have hundreds of accounts and different proprietary programs installed to play all my games sounds like a god dam nightmare that I hope never happens. Not to mention all the time and money each of those companies would have to waste to not only develop but maintain their own little service would cost them astronomically. Doubly so when you add on top of that that each one will have their own pros/cons and they would be in a constant arms race to copy what each other one is doing. 

A couple of the huge billion dollar companies like EA/Activision could get away with it for a while, and they both are trying to do exactly that, but asking all the smaller to mid range ones to do the same would just utterly bankrupt them.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaneDev

It's yet more PR talk the same kind that EA has been spouting. It's not worth a damn and if anything just highlights that this is a business decision between two businesses and not some grand war between two empires. They came to an impasse and they will probably work it out.

Leadcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By Leadcat

I wonder if the huge ad for MW3 on the Steam front page is Valve saying "This is what you're missing out on EA!"

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By cornbredx

Its so weird seeing all this unfold as I remember a time when Steam was not the power house digital distribution platform it is now. There was a time when this would've been meaningless and it wasn't that long ago.

I'm glad they are staying grounded though. Always classy (for real).

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CosmicQueso

@The_Nubster said:

@CosmicQueso said:

@The_Nubster said:

I get that it's all business, but Gabe Newell is a charming, funny guy who's done some pretty awesome stuff, like have a video conference with some high school students . He comes off as a nice, rational guy who isn't all corporate and cold. Even though his main interest is business, you have to have a passion to get places. I don't doubt that Gabe genuinely cares about the things he talks about. Of course, when it comes down to it all, it is business, but a truly talented author doesn't just write words for money. I think the same would go for anyone in any field.

No doubt, Gabe is Big League for sure. Other than his somewhat disturbing love of knives he seems very warm, sincere and legit.

But yes, business is business. There is room in the world for GameStop/Impulse, Origin, Blizzard, Steam, D2D, GG, GMG and many others. Steam has the highest share because they've done the best at creating value for us. And who knows, Origin may be the same (I enjoyed the free copy of Dead Space 2 after I preordered BF3) and their customer service is much, much better than Steam's.

I just don't get all the emotional responses and hatred for EA/Origin to what's a legit service offering. Whatever, I'm crazy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463 Well I did bother to say major publishers. Origin, uPlay, battle.net, Steam, so on... I'd like publisher competition to amp up to the delivery level. Exclusivity usually mandates quality. Smaller publishers would make the same deals with these services that they do with Steam and all the others already.

And maybe it's because I have one handle and password (two actually) for all my services that I don't buy the 'remember all that information!' stuff. And it's not like it's any safer to have all your games connected to a single account.
    DoNotBanMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DoNotBanMe
    No Caption Provided
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By crusader8463
    @Brodehouse: Sorry, but I just fail to see any thing good that would come from a future like that.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#48  Edited By Little_Socrates

I find it ridiculous that people in these comments are acting like EA is in the dirt for not using Steam and that somehow, if EA doesn't use Steam, that means that they won't sell millions of copies of Battlefield 3 or Mass Effect 3. I think it'd be a shame if they don't learn to play nice, of course, but don't act like EA isn't holding any chips here.

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Korne
    @Brodehouse said:
    @crusader8463 Well I did bother to say major publishers. Origin, uPlay, battle.net, Steam, so on... I'd like publisher competition to amp up to the delivery level. Exclusivity usually mandates quality. Smaller publishers would make the same deals with these services that they do with Steam and all the others already. And maybe it's because I have one handle and password (two actually) for all my services that I don't buy the 'remember all that information!' stuff. And it's not like it's any safer to have all your games connected to a single account.
    Well I have to fight for my handle. Sometimes I forget when it is Korne, Korne3, Korne333, or a number of others.
    subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By subyman

I like Steam's behavior in all this. EA was fast to slam Valve, but Valve is not doing the same. Good for them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.