Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

What is your opinion of Steam for Mac

• 92 results
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @kishan6 said:
    " everything on macs suck dick soooooo "

No Caption Provided

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Jayross
    @ArcLyte: whaaaa?
    stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By stackboy

Could finally convince me to buy a Macbook Pro, next year.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#54  Edited By yevinorion
    @Cube said:
    " People who say Mac users don't deserve it, it shouldn't exist, or they don't want Mac users to have it, are honestly pieces of shit.  "
    These are the same sort of people that bitch when their precious exclusive title becomes multiplatform. Selfish bastards.
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Well Mac may have Steam now but if there wont be much games for the Mac then i guess it will barely matter. I mean Im still likely to play on my PC desktop more than my Macbook Pro due to the fact that some games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or others still wont work on my MBP unless I bootcamp it to windows. (unless of course if Steam comes to Mac then all the steam games are now Mac compatible then correct me if im wrong. :D) 

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By wicked_wumpus
    @VanderSEXXX: 
    I think that's how it's going to work.  I believe something called Steam Play will allow all of the games that you've purchased through Steam to run on your Mac.
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @Wicked_Wumpus: Hmmm! if thats the case then I guess the Mac stores should now hopefully have a gaming section in their stores I guess to actually promote Mac gaming? :D
    Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @VanderSEXXX said:
    " Well Mac may have Steam now but if there wont be much games for the Mac then i guess it will barely matter. I mean Im still likely to play on my PC desktop more than my Macbook Pro due to the fact that some games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or others still wont work on my MBP unless I bootcamp it to windows. (unless of course if Steam comes to Mac then all the steam games are now Mac compatible then correct me if im wrong. :D)  "
    NO no no no. Let's really examine this. It is VERY UNLIKELY that every game on Steam including the popular Valve games are already coded to work on OS X. When Valve said they were releasing Steam on Macs, I think they meant the program has been made to work on Macs, not the games themselves. What I think will happen is that now you can digitally buy games that are already out for Macs through Steam. That might mean that for now you have 1-30 games to choose from :P

Also Steam Play is just a new name for an old concept. You buy the game, and you can install it on any computer that has Steam installed but you can't have your account logged in from 2 different pc's at the same time. 
    Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Lawrens

The more platform (or OSes?) it's on, the better.

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#60  Edited By mubblegum

I think it's a big positive step for the gaming world and developers. 
    They're realising the capability of Apple computers. I personally own an Alienware PC (which I obviously do much of my gaming on) and a Macbook Pro... I recently started running WoW on my Mac, so being able to run others is great news!

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Cube
    @bitcloud said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @Clinkz said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    " Mac users are so far up their own arses i'm sure they won't actually get round to playing any games. They have too many important social events to check out no doubt. "
    I have a Mac and I've played PC games primarily for many years, fuck off yeah?  "
    Oh you know what he said was true. "
    Not necessarily.   "
    Wait.....someone is far up his/her ass because of a social event? Logic fail. "
    Yeah, I'll never understand these kind of people who hate on others because they have social commitments. 

I want to say it's jealousy. 
    ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ArcLyte
    @Jayross said:
    " @ArcLyte: whaaaa? "
    what's "whaaaa?", was i unclear?
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Jayross
    @ArcLyte: if by unclear, you mean you never explained what that belief was based on, then yes.
    wafflestomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By wafflestomp

Wow. How could anyone be mad that a gaming service is expanding? And also what is with the Mac hate? Usually the people talking shiz have never actually used a Mac.  I have been using apples pretty much exclusively since 1999 and ask me how many viruses / driver issues I've had. The answer would be zero. No it isn't considered a gaming machine but I use it for work and recording with Pro Tools which generally works flawlessly. 

As I sit here I am trying to remove something called Antispywaresoft of an associate's laptop. What a pain.. but hey, at least it can run games right? haha. 

I am pretty pumped to have Steam available. Thanks Valve for making it happen.

buwchbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By buwchbach
    @ArcLyte: Why should it not exist? It means more games are available to more people.
    Avatar image for mercurycrusader
    MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MercuryCrusader
    @wafflestomp said:
    "Wow. How could anyone be mad that a gaming service is expanding? And also what is with the Mac hate? Usually the people talking shiz have never actually used a Mac.  I have been using apples pretty much exclusively since 1999 and ask me how many viruses / driver issues I've had. The answer would be zero. No it isn't considered a gaming machine but I use it for work and recording with Pro Tools which generally works flawlessly.   As I sit here I am trying to remove something called Antispywaresoft of an associate's laptop. What a pain.. but hey, at least it can run games right? haha.   I am pretty pumped to have Steam available. Thanks Valve for making it happen. "

Apples don't have virus issues, because that would require somebody to write up malacious code for the platform, and nobody owns an Apple.  *laugh track* 

Seriously, though, it's great Valve believes there is a market for their service on a platform that isn't known for games. Hell, the lack of games is the only reason I don't own an Apple computer (oh wait I still own an Apple II haha).
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By swamplord666

lots of "GOD! I clicked the button to shoot like the thingy on the screen said and the character on the screen shot me first! I'm going to make myself a latte!"  
    /joke

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @Fuzz_Butt: Well thats what i was trying to verify actually. So it looks like I'll still be sticking to my Desktop PC since some steam games I have I know don't have Mac versions yet which therefore wont work even if I use my steam account on my mac right? :D
    ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ArcLyte
    @Jayross:
    @buwchbach: 

my opinion is that the vast majority of mac users have no need or want for a gaming service/ store such as steam, and the mac gaming demographic that would take advantage of a service such as steam is too small for valve to use as a motive to bring steam to os x. my point is that valve knows that it makes a large income from impulse buys of $5 - $10 games and sees an opportunity to effectively double it's income through impulse buys from mac users. such is the way of a large successful company in a capitalist economy.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Cube
    @ArcLyte: Not a reason for it to "not exist".  

Snarky entitled PC elitists, sheesh.
    Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @VanderSEXXX: Exactly. They have to be coded to work with Mac's OS. Right now the only Valve games that will work with Mac is Team Fortress 2 and Portal.
    XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By XTraFries
    @Fuzz_Butt said:
    " @VanderSEXXX: Exactly. They have to be coded to work with Mac's OS. Right now the only Valve games that will work with Mac is Team Fortress 2 and Portal. "
    Where can you download the Mac TF2?

On Steam it only has the windows logo, so as far as I see the only working Valve game is Portal currently.

Which is a bummer, since I've been stoked about this BECAUSE of tf2 on my macbook pro. But Portal is awesome/free, so I can't complain much
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By august
    @XTraFries:  Portal is the only Valve game to start off, with new stuff added every week.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#76  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Noooooooo!  
    I guess its good people with Macs can enjoy steam, but then again I dont use a Mac so it doesn't affect me in any way so I dont care.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @ArcLyte said:
    " @Jayross: @buwchbach:  my opinion is that the vast majority of mac users have no need or want for a gaming service/ store such as steam, and the mac gaming demographic that would take advantage of a service such as steam is too small for valve to use as a motive to bring steam to os x. my point is that valve knows that it makes a large income from impulse buys of $5 - $10 games and sees an opportunity to effectively double it's income through impulse buys from mac users. such is the way of a large successful company in a capitalist economy. "
    Whether you realize it or not, the vast majority of PC users have no need or want for a gaming service/store such as Steam. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money that based on the entire user base of PCs vs. Macs, Mac has a higher percentage of people who play games, even if it's on console.

Also, your point doesn't make any sense. The Mac gaming demographic is too small to be a motive for Valve to bring Steam or Mac, but by bring Steam to Mac they'll double their income from impulse buys? So the average Mac user has too much money and no idea how to spend it so they buy games they have no intention of playing, since they obviously don't play games?
    XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By XTraFries
    @august:  that's what I thought.

hopefully that'll next weeks release. Been looking forward to playing since Valve announced OSX Steam officially.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jayross
    @ArcLyte: k... and?
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jayross

I suggest all Mac users get Portal (its free) and then buy Torchlight (only $10). I was also looking at Civ 4, but not sure how it would run on my mac. 

Looking forward to the future valve titles like the half-life series, tf2 and l4d2.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MisterMouse

Like it!

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Cube

So basically Portal runs like shit. 

Cool stuff.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By Marz

So what API do Mac games use?  OpenGL? doesn't seem like anything new that they couldn't play before, just easier access to games.

otaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By otaron

@Wicked_Wumpus:

"Go back to your mommas basement you greasy faced nerds!"

Hey man, as I see you really want to bring peace (I precise this is irony because when am reading what you wrote... I'm not sure you'd be able to understand it). 
    you must think you're a really clever person who would never waste time with some friends to play video game (especially if that's in a basement!! haha^^ ) 

So what do I ("greasy faced nerd" = you have such a great imagination man...) think about this...  

I don't like the fact that today, getting a decent fps for hardcore gamers like Battlefied 2 or 2142, is impossible. Why? 

Because now we need to cope with the increasing number of casual gamers, Like you, who are definitelly not ok with retrying several time the same level and whom taking care about their life level during a whole round is just unthinkable.  
    So almost every kind of game is now undergoing casualisation.  
    Fps: autohealing in BFBC2 and MW2 and i don't tell you about ballistic compensation (which is now like an old memoty from the past).  
    So as real gaming is already almost dead, I don't see any good reason to be happy about seeing more casual gamer pussies who will ask for more casual games which will get easier and quicker to finish with always more paying additional content.  

Let's finish with a little fool guess: 

How does a Mac user aims his gun with this    in MW2?    

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By nanikore
    @Cube said:
    " So basically Portal runs like shit.   Cool stuff. "
    Not for me. 45-60 FPS, with textures on very high, models on high, anti-aliasing 2x, motion blur on. Screen tearing is a problem though. 

iMac 27". 
    @otaron: Oh boy, fanboy alert. 
    otaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By otaron
    @nanikore: 
    haha! Call it as you wish. But i assume it.
    psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#87  Edited By psykhophear

I love it. It's one of the best decisions ever because Mac seriously need more games. Plus, if you already have certain games on the PC version, then you don't have to pay for the Mac version so it's cheaper. XD

Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Slaneesh

Macs are not meant to be playing games on. Theyre meant to look pretty and smile.

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#89  Edited By Buccura

I see no reason Mac users shouldn't be able to use Steam. It would do nothing to harm the PC aspect of it, and only serve to increase Steam's user base a bit. So really, I think Steam on Mac is perfectly fine.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By PillClinton

It's cool for Mac users and doesn't hurt anyone.  How could you not approve?

sumdim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By sumdim

It allows me to maintain a big cross-platform game collection that I can play wherever there is a computer. No discs to worry about losing either.. I like it.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Cube
    @otaron: Macs have had multibutton mice for years. Thx for coming out.
    SuperKcross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SuperKcross

I love running Civ 4 w/o having to bootcamp. Hopefully Steam on Mac will convince dudes at Firaxis to make a mac version of Civ 5

otaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By otaron
    @Cube:
    Yes i know it (looks am not the only fanboy here) but anyway....couldn't resist to make some fun of Mac devices (so easy). 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.