Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

When Digital Downloads Go Bad

AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 3

Edited By AndrewG009

No Caption Provided

It seems that there was a little speed bump amongst all the joy of the annual Steam sale. The Consumerist reports that all Ario wanted to do was gift his brother a game via the digital download client, but what happened is a bit more convoluted. It seemed that his brother had already purchased the game on Steam, so instead of notifying Ario, crediting his brother's account or enabling the issuance of a refund, the service simply ate his money.

"Earlier this week I had purchased a game that was on sale as an early gift for a family member to hold him off till his real one arrived late for Christmas. I didn't know it at the time but because of some glitch in Steam's systems the gifting failed but my CC was still charged and I was none the wiser. Since I told my brother all about the game, hyped him up, got him excited, but he never received it he ended up buying it for himself. I saw him playing it on Steam and thought all was well but after asking him how he liked my gift only to get a puzzled look in return."

It only went downhill from there.

"Took another support request for them to realize the issue was not in the fact I couldn't send but the fact I couldn't send and because of that he already owns the game I wanted to give him to which the customer service guy replied that they can't give me a refund or even store credit because according to their Subscriber Agreement they don't have to give me a return because I am not in the European Union which apparently has consumer protection laws that require 30 day grace period for returns."

For those who don't want to go searching for it, here is the section of Steam's subscriber agreement covering refunds:

"ALL STEAM FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART. Valve reserves the right to change our fees or billing methods at any time and Valve will provide notice of any such change at least thirty (30) days advance. All changes will be posted as amendments to this Agreement or in the Rules of Use and you are responsible for reviewing the billing section of Steam to obtain timely notice of such changes. Your non-cancellation of your Account or an affected Subscription thirty (30) days after posting of the changes on Steam means that you accept such changes. If any change is unacceptable to you, you may cancel your Account or a particular Subscription at any time as described below, but Valve will not refund any fees that may have accrued to your Account before cancellation of your Account or Subscription, and Valve will not prorate fees for any cancellation. If your use of Steam is subject to any type of use or sales tax, then Valve may also charge you for any such taxes, in addition to the Subscription or other fees published in the Rules of Use. The European Union VAT tax amounts collected by Valve reflect VAT due on the value of any Steam Software or Subscription as well as import VAT collected which is to be paid to the tax authorities for the importation of Merchandise.

As the Account holder, you are responsible for all charges incurred, including applicable taxes, and all purchases made by you or anyone that uses your Account, including your family or friends. Information on how to cancel your Account or a particular Subscription can be found at http://www.steampowered.com/. Valve reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred before you cancel your Account or a particular Subscription. In the event that your Account or a particular subscription is terminated or canceled, no refund, including any Subscription fees, will be granted. Any delinquent or unpaid Accounts must be settled before Valve will allow you to register again."

Honestly, it kind of scares the living hell out of me that Steam actually does have a bit of a dark side, but since when has a company not shielded themselves using the EULA? I'm not saying the system is perfect, but this is just a firm reminder of that fact and how careful gamers with a penchant for gifting need to be as digital downloads become more mainstream. Additionally, as the article goes on, it touches on just how intimidating a company can be by utilizing a EULA in such a heavy-handed fashion as to ban customers from their forums who take issue, effectively making the problem go away as silently as possible. It's actually pretty scary when you think about it, especially if you've sunk hundreds of dollars into your account.

Check out the full article from the Consumerist here.

AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AndrewG009

No Caption Provided

It seems that there was a little speed bump amongst all the joy of the annual Steam sale. The Consumerist reports that all Ario wanted to do was gift his brother a game via the digital download client, but what happened is a bit more convoluted. It seemed that his brother had already purchased the game on Steam, so instead of notifying Ario, crediting his brother's account or enabling the issuance of a refund, the service simply ate his money.

"Earlier this week I had purchased a game that was on sale as an early gift for a family member to hold him off till his real one arrived late for Christmas. I didn't know it at the time but because of some glitch in Steam's systems the gifting failed but my CC was still charged and I was none the wiser. Since I told my brother all about the game, hyped him up, got him excited, but he never received it he ended up buying it for himself. I saw him playing it on Steam and thought all was well but after asking him how he liked my gift only to get a puzzled look in return."

It only went downhill from there.

"Took another support request for them to realize the issue was not in the fact I couldn't send but the fact I couldn't send and because of that he already owns the game I wanted to give him to which the customer service guy replied that they can't give me a refund or even store credit because according to their Subscriber Agreement they don't have to give me a return because I am not in the European Union which apparently has consumer protection laws that require 30 day grace period for returns."

For those who don't want to go searching for it, here is the section of Steam's subscriber agreement covering refunds:

"ALL STEAM FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART. Valve reserves the right to change our fees or billing methods at any time and Valve will provide notice of any such change at least thirty (30) days advance. All changes will be posted as amendments to this Agreement or in the Rules of Use and you are responsible for reviewing the billing section of Steam to obtain timely notice of such changes. Your non-cancellation of your Account or an affected Subscription thirty (30) days after posting of the changes on Steam means that you accept such changes. If any change is unacceptable to you, you may cancel your Account or a particular Subscription at any time as described below, but Valve will not refund any fees that may have accrued to your Account before cancellation of your Account or Subscription, and Valve will not prorate fees for any cancellation. If your use of Steam is subject to any type of use or sales tax, then Valve may also charge you for any such taxes, in addition to the Subscription or other fees published in the Rules of Use. The European Union VAT tax amounts collected by Valve reflect VAT due on the value of any Steam Software or Subscription as well as import VAT collected which is to be paid to the tax authorities for the importation of Merchandise.

As the Account holder, you are responsible for all charges incurred, including applicable taxes, and all purchases made by you or anyone that uses your Account, including your family or friends. Information on how to cancel your Account or a particular Subscription can be found at http://www.steampowered.com/. Valve reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred before you cancel your Account or a particular Subscription. In the event that your Account or a particular subscription is terminated or canceled, no refund, including any Subscription fees, will be granted. Any delinquent or unpaid Accounts must be settled before Valve will allow you to register again."

Honestly, it kind of scares the living hell out of me that Steam actually does have a bit of a dark side, but since when has a company not shielded themselves using the EULA? I'm not saying the system is perfect, but this is just a firm reminder of that fact and how careful gamers with a penchant for gifting need to be as digital downloads become more mainstream. Additionally, as the article goes on, it touches on just how intimidating a company can be by utilizing a EULA in such a heavy-handed fashion as to ban customers from their forums who take issue, effectively making the problem go away as silently as possible. It's actually pretty scary when you think about it, especially if you've sunk hundreds of dollars into your account.

Check out the full article from the Consumerist here.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Daryl

What game did he get?

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warxsnake

Unlike console platforms, you are not required to use the service, you have full control on what you buy and where you buy it from; so if you don't like Steam, don't use it, there are many, many alternatives.  

Also if you have a problem with a purchase, create a steam support ticket, I've had MANY purchases refunded, gifts or otherwise. 

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty

If that's true, that sucks for him. I imagine other downloadable media (e-books, and to a lesser extent MP3s and video on demand) may have these issues with gifting as well.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Evilsbane

Steam is awesome for the most part, though I have to say I disagree with this policy all this stuff is trackable and it would make them look alot better to just fix the problem than to screw people over.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By strangeling
    @AndrewG009 said:

"...  Additionally, as the article goes on, it touches on just how intimidating a company can be by utilizing a EULA in such a heavy-handed fashion as to ban customers from their forums who take issue, effectively making the problem go away as silently as possible. ..."

I've seen this before, specifically with the Magic: the Gathering Online forums.  That game, since it's "upgrade," has been a mess (still missing key features from the previous version, but they keep pumping out the new expansions for it for you to buy).  But the players aren't allowed to protest about the issues in the forums. 

You would think Valve would do the right thing in a case like this though.  It should be easy enough to check the two accounts and see the error, and offer some sort of fix. 
    - - - - - - - - 
    Just read through the article.  Turns out he did get his money back, just that dealing with customer service was a pain in the ass.
    AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndrewG009
    @strangeling: Isn't that always the case though? Nine times out of ten, customer service isn't all the accommodating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.