Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition is coming this month for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. For those who heard recent news on GGPO, there are reports that 3rd Strike on the GGPO PC client will disappear after OE's release. As a way to say farewell to its former spot in the internets and to help players get the hang of Street Fighter III before OE hits, this will be the first and only tournament for 3S here under GGPO.
8/9 UPDATE!!!!! BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT, PLEASE JOIN THE WHISKEY MEDIA FIGHT CLUB STEAM GROUP! THERE WILL BE A CHAT DURING THE TOURNAMENT!!!! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/whiskeymediafightclub
8/12 UPDATE!!!! REGISTRATION IS OVER!!! TO ALL PARTICIPATING PLAYERS, PLEASE CHECK YOUR BRACKET ON CHALLONGE (http://challonge.com/giantbomb3sggpo) AND JOIN THE WHISKEY MEDIA FIGHT CLUB STEAM GROUP BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT FOR CHAT AND MATCH UPDATES!!! (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/whiskeymediafightclub)
The tournament will begin on Saturday, August 13th. Ready time will initiate at 12:00 PM and the tournament will begin at 1:00 PM. (Pacific Standard Time, UTC -8:00). If you miss the cutoff time for your match (see below Rules: Connection), you are then automatically disqualified.
NO PRIZES. This is a tournament for players to get hype for Online Edition coming August 23rd and 24th.
Reply in the thread saying you want to enter as well as your GGPO handle (You can create it here). Everyone above 10 forum posts here are welcome to compete. For now the tournament will cap at 16 players but if there is enough demand, I will increase it.
If you are new to GGPO, please follow the downloading directions as well as open the necessary ports if you have a router (DIRECTIONS). All registrants will be messaged a group PM conversation with further instructions likely days before the tournament.
Sign-ups will end on August 12th at 12:00 AM PST. On the 12th, I will create the bracket on Challonge and everyone of you guys must read to know who are you gonna fight. It's gonna be from the top to bottom of the bracket and so on.
- All characters allowed except Gill.
- Double elimination (winners and losers bracket) with 2/5 rounds in a first to 2/3 matches.
- Grand finals set to first to 3/5 games (including loser resets).
- As you are called up to play, you or your opponent can do the challenge request.
- Standard character selection.
- If a player loses a match, they can switch character and Super Art.
- NO CHEATING OR GAME BREAKING BUGS (example: Ken performing a neutral throw KO on Makoto can very likely crash the emulator. If it doesn't crash on certain occasions, carry on).
- If a disconnect occurs, the match must restart but any games won by any player will still be intact.
- If players can't connect to each other after multiple tries, it will be decided with a best to 2 quarter flip. Through the Giant Bomb chat, first person to call heads will receive that alignment.
- During the tournament, you have to be in your match within 5 minutes after being announced to fight next or become disqualified.
NOTICE: This is a singles tournament. If any of you guys are interested in turning it to a teams format, please let me know in your reply before August 10th at 12:00 AM PST. If it does change, here are the additional rules... 2v2 with random team members (if this was Online Edition, I would be down to have self-created teams). Single elimination with 2/5 rounds. Pokemon style so current player would face next opponent and so on. Character lock (I WILL WATCH YOU). Your can though have two of the same character though.
Please make sure the controller or arcade stick you have is compatible on your computer and test it before playing in the tournament. If it's an Xbox 360 based controller/stick for example, make sure you installed the right drivers (32-bit or 64-bit) before plugging in the device; this also counts for the MadCatz SE and TE Xbox 360 sticks. If you own a PlayStation 3 MadCatz stick, you can use it if your computer has an Intel-based motherboard unless it's a Chun-Li TE-S stick for which is universally compatible. Hori sticks should generally work instantly on any PC. If there are any other questions regarding controller compatibility, please ask in the thread and I will answer ASAP.
Due to various complications with GGPO, there will be no stream or recording of the fights. If you have GGPO and 3rd Strike installed, feel free to spectate the current match. The tournament will cancel if GGPO removes 3rd Strike from the list before or by tournament day.
If you guys have anymore questions, please reply below.
Listed by username and then GGPO handle
- scarcace360 - scarcace360
- ThePhantomnaut - P.N.01
- Zanetsu - Zanetsu
- Jeffsekai - jeffsekai (MAYBE)
- CL60 - CL60 (MAYBE)
- rufi91 - rmanthorp
- Hero_Swe - Hero_Swe (MAYBE)
- Simulacrum - Dropbit
- GlenTennis - GlenTennis
- Jaycee13 - WorstQ
- Mechwing - Exitar
- nazer458 - nazer458
- TaccyP - TaccyP
- MatthewTheBeast - AguiaTheInept