Here come the reviews!

#1 Edited by mubress (1517 posts) -

Reviews are starting to come in for 3SO, I'll update this post when some more appear.

For people too lazy to read I'll put the score in a spoiler below each site link. I don't want to spoil the surprise for people who like to work out the score from the written review :) (Is that sad? ah, who cares)

#2 Edited by believer258 (11683 posts) -

Wait, hasn't Street Fighter 4 already been released twice on home consoles and once on 3DS now? Why is Street Fighter 3 getting another iteration? 

EDIT: Question answered: the fans wanted it, and they wanted to play it online.

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@believer258 said:
Wait, hasn't Street Fighter 4 already been released twice on home consoles and once on 3DS now? Why is Street Fighter 3 getting another iteration?
Because there is no console version of 3S with an online component and it basically has a cult following that have been wanting it for a long time.
#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11501 posts) -

Sadly, despite being interested in playing it, I'm heading off to school. ON WEDNESDAY. Oh well. I have Deus Ex to drown my sorrow.

#5 Posted by LiquidSaiyan3 (459 posts) -

This is great! I'm kind of nervous having never spent any real time with Third Strike (outside of Arcade mode in SF Anniversary).

Also, 1UP totally has a score. They just use letter grades instead of numbers.

#6 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

Sounds like the online play is about what I was expecting according to Haunts' review...won't feel like I'm playing underwater but not perfect either.

#7 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to this game. I've finally started to get into fighting games and I am more interested in this than SF4 so it's great to see that it is good.

#8 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -
@believer258 said:
No, it has been released 3 times on home consoles, twice on PC. Third strike is getting a re-release primarily so it can be played online.
#9 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@LiquidSaiyan3 said:

Also, 1UP totally has a score. They just use letter grades instead of numbers.

Ah thanks, I totally missed that.
#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

Yo, it's 3rd Strike. You either love it or hate it.

#11 Posted by jjnen (660 posts) -

Why the spoiler tags?

#12 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Rappelsiini said:

Why the spoiler tags?

Read.
#13 Posted by rmanthorp (3890 posts) -

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

#14 Posted by FLStyle (4599 posts) -

@Rufi91 said:

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPEHYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Seconded.

#15 Posted by yates (379 posts) -

@mubress: You gonna be getting this bud?

#16 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

WE BE PARRYIN SHIT FUCKEN UP PEOPLE WITH THE DENJIN AND GIVING MOTHER FUCKERS THE SPD THIS IS 3RD STRIKE SON!

#17 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

@Rufi91 said:

Seconded.

Thirded

#18 Posted by Swaboo (451 posts) -

It IS a good game...

#19 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6191 posts) -

#FUCKHAUNTS.

#20 Posted by Doctorchimp (4071 posts) -

I've had 1200 points in my account ever since I bought Bastion just for this.

I can finally put my dreamcast in the closet for good. (But never out of my heart)

#21 Posted by Vance_Helsing (215 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

Who are these terrible people who hate 3rd Strike? They must hate themselves.
#22 Edited by groin (838 posts) -
#23 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

Why are they in spoilers?

#24 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@yates: Yeah, I've played about 2 games on arclive which was enough to tell me I could play the game reasonably. Whether I'll be sticking with it I don't know. You?
#25 Posted by StarvingGamer (8040 posts) -

Time for some Hugo!

#26 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

Joystiqs review is up, here's a quote from it: "The only fault with Player match implementation was an inability to save replays if more than two players are in a room".

I'm sure there will be some kind of technical reason behind this but it seems pretty stupid to me.

#27 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@mubress said:
Joystiqs review is up, here's a quote from it: "The only fault with Player match implementation was an inability to save replays if more than two players are in a room".  I'm sure there will be some kind of technical reason behind this but it seems pretty stupid to me.
Does this mean no montages of me, you and Yates sucking with Akuma?
#28 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@jaycee13 said:
@mubress said:
Joystiqs review is up, here's a quote from it: "The only fault with Player match implementation was an inability to save replays if more than two players are in a room".  I'm sure there will be some kind of technical reason behind this but it seems pretty stupid to me.
Does this mean no montages of me, you and Yates sucking with Akuma?
I remember making a video of us being awesome with Akuma, I'm afraid I don't know what your talking about :P

Anyway no, I can still record my matches so long as I have my pvr running while we play. You can't escape that easy!!
#29 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

I've been saving points for months, so hyped! Can't wait to blow fools up with Elena.

#30 Posted by yates (379 posts) -

@jaycee13 said:

@mubress said:
Joystiqs review is up, here's a quote from it: "The only fault with Player match implementation was an inability to save replays if more than two players are in a room". I'm sure there will be some kind of technical reason behind this but it seems pretty stupid to me.
Does this mean no montages of me, you and Yates sucking doing incredible with Akuma?

Say it isn't so.

@mubress said:

@yates: Yeah, I've played about 2 games on arclive which was enough to tell me I could play the game reasonably. Whether I'll be sticking with it I don't know. You?

Yeah, for sure. Played it a few times on ggpo/arclive and enjoyed it, but struggled to really get into it due to lack of a training mode. The parry challenges and stuff look great and will definitely help.

#31 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@yates said:

@jaycee13 said:

@mubress said:
Joystiqs review is up, here's a quote from it: "The only fault with Player match implementation was an inability to save replays if more than two players are in a room". I'm sure there will be some kind of technical reason behind this but it seems pretty stupid to me.
Does this mean no montages of me, you and Yates sucking doing incredible with Akuma?

Say it isn't so.

@mubress said:

Yeah, for sure. Played it a few times on ggpo/arclive and enjoyed it, but struggled to really get into it due to lack of a training mode. The parry challenges and stuff look great and will definitely help.

You should have said that before, man. You can make a home made training mode in FBAE using cheats and a second player.
#32 Posted by BoG (5185 posts) -

Do we need a review? Even if they missed the game, most people should be aware that it's among the greatest fighting games ever made.
#33 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

I can't wait to play 3rd Strike.

I've heard it's a good game.

#34 Posted by MrMazz (936 posts) -

I want it to get here already damn waiting for the PSN store to update O well guess ill just wonder capital wasteland some more

#35 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
#36 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@iDarktread said:

@Rappelsiini said:

Why the spoiler tags?

Read.

FTLOG!!! READ!!!!

#37 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6191 posts) -

@StaticFalconar said:

@groin said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

#FUCKHAUNTS.

That meme is dead. Dr. Rod 'Slasher' Breslau ruined it during a Live On Three broadcast.

More proof here: http://twitter.com/#!/haunts/status/98963926951268352

#FUCKYEAHHAUNTS Fixed

Oh wow. Also coming from Haunts yesterday... #bonkhaunts (>_>)

#38 Posted by J_Las_Vegas (144 posts) -

Is this out today (Tuesday) or tomorrow on PSN?

#39 Edited by TechHits (1372 posts) -
@J_Las_Vegas said:

Is this out today (Tuesday) or tomorrow on PSN?

today, August 23. PSN 

God I can't wait.
#40 Posted by J_Las_Vegas (144 posts) -
@TechHits:  Thanks.  I checked earlier and it wasn't on the store.  I guess Euro PSN hasn't updated yet.
#41 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

So true. But uh yeah if 3SO does well anychance of them doing the same with Alpha 3? I needs me some seven hit Tiger Uppercuts.
#42 Posted by Bravestar (380 posts) -
@SexualBubblegumX: Ono said something about wanting to revive Alpha after SFxT, but it's Ono. 
Though Capcom likes money and the Darkstalkers is not dead screen from E3(I think? or EVO? I forgot) makes me believe they will give Darkstalkers the same treatment and if that sells well too, they have to do Alpha 3. There's nothing else left really.
#43 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

Then I'm happy, Alpha 3 is my favorite SF game.

#44 Edited by mubress (1517 posts) -
IGN's review is up, added to the OP.

I don't know if any of these reviews are going to convince people who weren't sold as soon as Capcom announced 3SO, but maybe they'll persuade people who were on the fence about it.
#45 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The online is awful, every match so far has been a lagfest and it takes ages to connect to people (if you connect at all) despite having open NAT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.