Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

3-Minute Fundamentals: Hit-Confirming

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

This is the first video in a series I'm calling "3-Minute Fundamentals", where I cover aspects of competitive Street Fighter play in the span of (approx.) 3 minutes time.

Hit-confirming is the act of giving your mind enough time to react to a situation. Instead of going for an unsafe combo and hoping it'll connect, ideally you would leave "mental padding" in the form of quick normal attacks that can be linked together, which will give the mind the time to process whether your attacks are connecting or being blocked. If the attacks land, you can then go into a damaging combo, and if the attacks are blocked, you aren't forced to guess with a highly punishable maneuver. 

Song is "Speed Dry Manglehead" from the Jump Britain  OST, by Ian Masterson & Thomas Beach. I have some things in the works and they should hopefully come to fruition within a week or two. I'll let you guys know what's up.  Eventhubs again. Yeah.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

This is the first video in a series I'm calling "3-Minute Fundamentals", where I cover aspects of competitive Street Fighter play in the span of (approx.) 3 minutes time.

Hit-confirming is the act of giving your mind enough time to react to a situation. Instead of going for an unsafe combo and hoping it'll connect, ideally you would leave "mental padding" in the form of quick normal attacks that can be linked together, which will give the mind the time to process whether your attacks are connecting or being blocked. If the attacks land, you can then go into a damaging combo, and if the attacks are blocked, you aren't forced to guess with a highly punishable maneuver. 

Song is "Speed Dry Manglehead" from the Jump Britain  OST, by Ian Masterson & Thomas Beach. I have some things in the works and they should hopefully come to fruition within a week or two. I'll let you guys know what's up.  Eventhubs again. Yeah.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

That's a really handy tutorial. Hit confirming is easily one of my biggest faults and I get punished way too often for being careless.
    Keep 'em up!

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stang

Top quality as usual Ultima.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DanielJW

Awesome tutorial! I don't know how much it helps me as a Dhalsim player, but I understand the concept now, and it was a really well produced video!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

Nice video.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

Awesome video as always. I look forward to the rest in this series (I hope there's one on footsies)

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lordofultima
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Awesome video as always. I look forward to the rest in this series (I hope there's one on footsies) "
    That one's gonna take a bit of work, it's sort of hard to demonstrate footsies on a dummy in training mode.
    EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By EvilGreenDevil

bad ass

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " Awesome video as always. I look forward to the rest in this series (I hope there's one on footsies) "
    That one's gonna take a bit of work, it's sort of hard to demonstrate footsies on a dummy in training mode. "
    Yeah, I think you gotta straight up get a friend to be the dummy in training mode to pull that off unless you like trying to time stuff like Braid or those time puzzles in crack in time. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64

Another great video.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    That one's gonna take a bit of work, it's sort of hard to demonstrate footsies on a dummy in training mode. "
    I'm sure that a bunch of people on here would be willing  to help with that.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofultima
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    I'm sure that a bunch of people on here would be willing  to help with that. "
    By flying to my house to play? I record with the PC version, and PC online is ass. Also would be annoying to do tutorials outside of training mode.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima: Fine be that way :(
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    I'm sure that a bunch of people on here would be willing  to help with that. "
    By flying to my house to play? I record with the PC version, and PC online is ass. Also would be annoying to do tutorials outside of training mode. "
    We will do it at final round. Just lug that big ass computer down to Georgia.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Stang said:
    " Top quality as usual Ultima. "
    Agreed.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SpecialBuddy: Clearly this is the best option.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

Really good tutorial, as expected. Keep it up. I'm sure you'll get some paid work making these sorta things for DVDs or websites at some point.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AniMoney

Good stuff ultima. If you wanna do something that you can't do with a dummy I'm willing to help if you can record from xbox. Also I'm sure you could just film a few random matches and get bits out of those as examples for whatever you're talking about. (footsies, baiting, etc.)

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By demontium

Thank you so much, practicing atm. 

@AniMoney said:

" Good stuff ultima. If you wanna do something that you can't do with a dummy I'm willing to help if you can record from xbox. Also I'm sure you could just film a few random matches and get bits out of those as examples for whatever you're talking about. (footsies, baiting, etc.) "
    I love the new avatar.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lordofultima
    @AniMoney said:
    " Good stuff ultima. If you wanna do something that you can't do with a dummy I'm willing to help if you can record from xbox. Also I'm sure you could just film a few random matches and get bits out of those as examples for whatever you're talking about. (footsies, baiting, etc.) "
    Don't have the ability to record HD footage on 360.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AniMoney
    @lordofultima said:
    " @AniMoney said:
    Don't have the ability to record HD footage on 360. "
    HD isn't a huge deal for me anyways. Whatever though, I'm sure you'll figure something out.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lordofultima
    @AniMoney said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @AniMoney said:
    Don't have the ability to record HD footage on 360. "
    HD isn't a huge deal for me anyways. Whatever though, I'm sure you'll figure something out. "
    Has to look good, that's step one in making teh veedeos!
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I am so fucking subscibed to this shit! Also great work on the presentation, looks and sounds great. Awesome job Lordofultima :D

j0nnyDiGITAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By j0nnyDiGITAL

Very good stuff. Should help me with my other characters. Balrog by nature hit confirms when he starts a combo so not particularly useful for my main. This is good stuff! Thanks a lot!

foodchaiNN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By foodchaiNN

Good video and I must say it does not apply to those who only know jump kick / sweep.   \\(-_-)//   WIN!

SoulTaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By SoulTaker

Thanks for the tutorial.  Its very informative.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.