Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Go For Broke Xbox 360 Street Fighter IV Tournament

• 189 results
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Gambit

Tournaments over BagManForHire was the winner.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Why the fuck are there banned characters?
    CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CursaKuma
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By REDRUN

you might as well ban all the other unlockable characters

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hoody
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "Why the fuck are there banned characters?"
    THANK you. There is absolutely nothing at all that indicates these characters have any reason to be banned.

...anyway, fuck it. I'll go find or host a real online tournament or something.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix
    hoody said:
    "DirrtyNinja said:
    "Why the fuck are there banned characters?"
    THANK you. There is absolutely nothing at all that indicates these characters have any reason to be banned....anyway, fuck it. I'll go find or host a real online tournament or something."
    I 3rd that sentiment.  And really... those three characters are banned?  There shouldn't be ANY banned in the first place, and why Seth, Akuma, and Gouken?  What's the rationale?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By PureRok

I'll sign up. My GT is MetPurifier.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

When I saw this post title I was excited...then I was even more excited to see it was being held on Sunday, a day I could actually make.  No Gouken?  I'm out.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hoody

Maybe Gouken is banned because his name rhymes with "broken." That's the only thing I can think of.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By bagmanforhire

im in GT: bagmanforhire

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gambit

Hey like I said I might change the rules around . Most of the tournaments I play in ban the "Boss" characters. I wasn't really sure about akuma and gouken really figured I would see the reaction So with quite a few posts of people bitching guess I got my reactions. I have no problems with letting people use akuma and gouken, I do think personally think seth should be banned and will keep it that way.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike

Ok, I'm in if I can use Gouken.  GT in profile.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I've got to work. Do'h.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hoody

Well, banning Seth is still unnecessary given that he's got the stamina of a baby seal, but whatever. Most people know that, like Dan, he's hardly worth using, so I'm sure banning him won't matter one way or another.

EDIT: Gamertag is ii axxess ii

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit

sorry walrus I made it on a Sunday cause I figured more people could make it.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I'll join, even though I'll most likely get owned first round.

GT: Digital447

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus
    Gambit said:
    "sorry walrus I made it on a Sunday cause I figured more people could make it."
    Nah it's my fault, every night from 4-10 I'm ether working or at college... next semester I'm gonna re-arrange my schedule. Seriously, how many people are at work Sunday night? lol that's probably the best time.
    DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarkCatalyst

Uh, Seth is middling at best.  His HP and stun are trash and his overall game is average.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hoody
    DarkCatalyst said:
    "Uh, Seth is middling at best.  His HP and stun are trash and his overall game is average."
    Yeah but... he's a boss, which means his moves automatically win. Seth's especially broken because he actually downloads the very best moves from elite fighters all over the world!

/sarcasm
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit

if you don't like it the simple choice is don't join.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

It WOULD be when I'm working!!!

My Cammy just devastated online...and that seems to be the only place it'll ever happen.  =  /

If MB signs up, y'all are fucked.
    Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hulk

Hulk's 360 should be back this Monday.   If it doesn't immediately red ring as soon as it's taken out of the box this time Hulk will sign up.  But until then Hulk can't commit, but would really like to.  Especially since it's on a Sunday which is a perfect day for it.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    jakob187 said:
    "It WOULD be when I'm working!!!

My Cammy just devastated online...and that seems to be the only place it'll ever happen.  =  /

"
    God dammit Jakob, now you've got me all worried. Would you say he's harder than Gouken on hardest difficulty?
    DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarkCatalyst

I just can't help but laugh excessively at the decision, that's all.

Reminds me of a tourney going on over at NikeTalk that has a "no cheesing" rule.

It's amusing to watch this stuff play out.

CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CursaKuma
    Gambit said:
    "if you don't like it the simple choice is don't join."
    it's his tourney.. fuck off guys

my fav char is akuma.. and i don't have a problem changing to my second char.. balrog.. so wtf lol

Also I have to speak for my brother gambit but gametag    "SilvaTone" will be entering aswell (if there is still room)

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit

People will always find a reason to bitch,cry, and complain about something. I just wanted to throw a tourny have some fun and give someone a small reward. I never thought people would bitch about that this much. I'm guessing darkcatalyst probley uses seth or something.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DarkCatalyst

Actually, I play Akuma, Abel, and Bison.

I just tend to laugh whenever I see unnecessary and misguided rules.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PureRok
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    God dammit Jakob, now you've got me all worried. Would you say he's harder than Gouken on hardest difficulty? "
    Jolly_Lolly, remember when we played (MetPurifier, I was playing Cammy)? Well, consider that I have a really hard time against MB's Gouken.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mike
    PureRok said:
    "Jolly_Lolly said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    God dammit Jakob, now you've got me all worried. Would you say he's harder than Gouken on hardest difficulty? "
    Jolly_Lolly, remember when we played (MetPurifier, I was playing Cammy)? Well, consider that I have a really hard time against MB's Gouken."
    Dude you guys have got to stop praising my alleged SFIV skills.  I've got so much to live up to now!
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    PureRok said:
    "Jolly_Lolly said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    Jolly_Lolly, remember when we played (MetPurifier, I was playing Cammy)? Well, consider that I have a really hard time against MB's Gouken."
    Huh?? I didn't play any Cammy's oO
    CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CursaKuma

So what's going on.

Anyone else joining this tourney? let's get this show on the road.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By REDRUN

i want to play against a Seth player, I never lost to one yet. I want to see a good one. Ban Dan, I hate to have someone record and youtube my defeat from a good Dan user. Dhalsim users are pricks also, they keep saying "Bigger than yours". I f*cken hate those guys! Oh, and f*ck Seth's stretchy arms too!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PureRok
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "PureRok said:
    "Jolly_Lolly said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    Huh?? I didn't play any Cammy's oO"
    Yes you did. Just three or four days ago.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By REDRUN

Hell, put me in - GT: REDRUN

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

seth kind sucks '

why ban him....
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By REDRUN

If you are doing a tourney, you gotta do it right. Either ban all unlockables like "the pros" or set it to "take on all challengers". The home version of SF IV does not stray too far from the arcade cabinets we have been waiting to get our hands on here in the states for the longest. SF IV on the 360 and PS3 brought it even closer.  With all the unlockable characters, this version fells like a Champoinship Edition with all the tools (arcade stick not included) you need to challenge yourself to be the best and challenge the best.

Back to the topic in hand, here are three options that seem fair. Option 1: Banning all bosses would include the following: Sagat (SF Boss), Bison (SF II Boss), Akuma (SSF2T and SF4 Hidden Boss), Gouken (SF2 April Fool's Joke and SF4 Hidden Boss), and of course Seth (SF4 Final Boss). If you ban one, then might as well ban them all, to be safe. Option 2: No unlockable characters like the arcade cabinets. I need not to make that list, we all know who they are. Option 3: Allow all characters to play in the tourney and have the faith they are all balanced by movesets, stamina, speed and power. All players playing characters, even in mirror matches are not equal in skill. Common knowledge.

The only problem i see a major flaw in the tourney is that there is no strict rules addressing a problem we have online in ranked matches. We have people asking for a double blind option when we play so see less cheap tactics on the selection phase.

Solutions: Each player would register there character so no changing characters to handle another type of player. The pros chooses and register one character before the tourney starts as take on all challengers so there is no waiting to see who chooses what first. To make it right, players need to submit the one character they are going to play as, so the battle would be indisputable. This takes pride in the player's skill, win or lose, without hiding behind a character set for individual fights.

Please don't reply back as an angry forum troll. I understand if I don't like the rules, then I should not join. What was said above was just an observation on what had been done in the SF tourneys I had experienced in the past 15 years.

If you would accept me as part of the tourney, then my gamertag is REDRUN and I will play as Cammy.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ImperiousRix

Eh, I guess I'll tentatively put my name down.  I might pull out, but I'll give plenty of notice before-hand if that's the case.
    Gamertag: Imperious Rix
    And I'll be playing as either Chun Li or Vega.  Don't know quite yet.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hoody
    REDRUN said:
    "If you are doing a tourney, you gotta do it right. Either ban all unlockables like "the pros" or set it to "take on all challengers". The home version of SF IV does not stray too far from the arcade cabinets we have been waiting to get our hands on here in the states for the longest. SF IV on the 360 and PS3 brought it even closer.  With all the unlockable characters, this version fells like a Champoinship Edition with all the tools (arcade stick not included) you need to challenge yourself to be the best and challenge the best.Back to the topic in hand, here are three options that seem fair. Option 1: Banning all bosses would include the following: Sagat (SF Boss), Bison (SF II Boss), Akuma (SSF2T and SF4 Hidden Boss), Gouken (SF2 April Fool's Joke and SF4 Hidden Boss), and of course Seth (SF4 Final Boss). If you ban one, then might as well ban them all, to be safe. Option 2: No unlockable characters like the arcade cabinets. I need not to make that list, we all know who they are. Option 3: Allow all characters to play in the tourney and have the faith they are all balanced by movesets, stamina, speed and power. All players playing characters, even in mirror matches are not equal in skill. Common knowledge.The only problem i see a major flaw in the tourney is that there is no strict rules addressing a problem we have online in ranked matches. We have people asking for a double blind option when we play so see less cheap tactics on the selection phase.Solutions: Each player would register there character so no changing characters to handle another type of player. The pros chooses and register one character before the tourney starts as take on all challengers so there is no waiting to see who chooses what first. To make it right, players need to submit the one character they are going to play as, so the battle would be indisputable. This takes pride in the player's skill, win or lose, without hiding behind a character set for individual fights.Please don't reply back as an angry forum troll. I understand if I don't like the rules, then I should not join. What was said above was just an observation on what had been done in the SF tourneys I had experienced in the past 15 years.If you would accept me as part of the tourney, then my gamertag is REDRUN and I will play as Cammy."
    He's right about the counter-pickers. Everyone who's entering should announce which character they'll be using before the tournament starts. Only trouble is, if we all make our calls out in the open - here in this forum - then you don't exactly alleviate the problem of counter-pickers, ya know? If everyone's down to register their characters, I suggest we send our picks in as PMs to the tournament holder instead. I know he's playing in it too, but if he has the integrity to not stake a claim on the prize should he win it, I trust him not to counter-pick too. That's my two cents.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gambit

I like the argument you made redrun. Hell maybe I went about the whole thing all wrong. This is my first time running a tournament and I'm just going off what rules have been for the online tournaments I have played in. But hey good thing about mistakes are you can learn from them.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By REDRUN

Another suggestion, you need a lock in date and time so players need to take there time for there choices or changes. I would like to see the players play with pride like they always do and have faith in there skill and take on all challengers even when the odds are against them. Choosing one character to take on anyone of the others is the toughest thing to do, showing up to the fight is the easy part. I don't mind playing players who chooses Ken, Seth or Akuma. I just want a good fight.

edit*

I just want to add, these suggestions should be considered in the future events. Changing the rules now wouldn't be fair for all the current participants unless they all have their say.

Gambit, thanks for your input. We all have different backgrounds when it comes to any subject in hand. One thing for sure, we are all passionate about games. We would not be her if we were not.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gambit

Redrun There is a set date and time march 29th at 5:00 PM CST

satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By satseb

interested to know how this turns out.
    Gambit, best way to handle double-blind issue is to have players PM you their character pick, then post the list the day of the tourney. That way players can't counter-pick but still get to see the list beforehand to verify correct matchups.
    also for future reference on banning chars - if EVO doesn't do it, you probably shouldn't either.

http://evo2k.com/?p=18

banned characters show up under "Rules:", check SF2 HD Remix for reference, it has one banned character.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus

Just got back from work. Who won, eh?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PureRok
    TooWalrus said:
    "Just got back from work. Who won, eh?"
    I don't know. The tournament doesn't go until next week.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By REDRUN

Gambit,

Check out this site here http://gootecks.com/

Listen to the podcast, jump to 41:35 on the debate on Seth from the pros. I highly recommend you listen to the whole podcast from beginning to end. Good stuff on the debate.

You do have a valid point on banning Seth, but its not yet proven that Seth would be a problem in a tourney.

Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hulk

Registering one character is only really done in Japanese tournaments.  In most decent U.S. tournaments players are allowed to switch characters between matches.  Playing match-ups after losing your first match  is just as much of a valid strategy as switching from rushdown to turtling in the middle of a match when you realize one is not working.

As far as character banning for balance and what not, none of the unlockable characters are banworthy.  The only character in the game that's even in the discussion for banning is Sagat, and it's still too early to call for that.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Im up for it.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Jeffsekai

im in Gamertag is halogu117

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ImperiousRix
    Hulk said:
    "Registering one character is only really done in Japanese tournaments.  In most decent U.S. tournaments players are allowed to switch characters between matches.  Playing match-ups after losing your first match  is just as much of a valid strategy as switching from rushdown to turtling in the middle of a match when you realize one is not working.As far as character banning for balance and what not, none of the unlockable characters are banworthy.  The only character in the game that's even in the discussion for banning is Sagat, and it's still too early to call for that."
    Yeah, Hulk, but the tourney is only single elimination.  So basically, if your character loses, you're not gonna get the chance to switch since you'll be out.
    Sagat is way overpowered, but he's popular so banning him is just gonna cause unneeded waves.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By REDRUN
    Hulk said:
    "Registering one character is only really done in Japanese tournaments.  In most decent U.S. tournaments players are allowed to switch characters between matches.  Playing match-ups after losing your first match  is just as much of a valid strategy as switching from rushdown to turtling in the middle of a match when you realize one is not working.As far as character banning for balance and what not, none of the unlockable characters are banworthy.  The only character in the game that's even in the discussion for banning is Sagat, and it's still too early to call for that."
    I am not asking for Gambit to change the rules for this Tourney. My suggestion was in fact a Japanese design where pros lay their cards on the table and played more like a Texas Hold'em style match. You got players who can play a decent good hand (Sagat, Balrog, Akuma) and you have those who can an awesome bad hand (Dan, Dhalsim, E. Honda). Some tourneys here in the US did in fact adopted this design to create more exciting matchups. Please check out example of Tourneys that did work out out well, like EVO2k.com and other events Gootecks.com. There are youtube clip you can review that was taken during the events.

Banning Sagat is topic brought up by many inexperienced players. There are many characters up on discussion to be banned in events, but no hard evidence supporting the accusation.

"Balrog might as well be on the list for heavy chip damage." (True, learn to not allow him to get you in that position in the corner)
    "Zangief has an unblockable Super and Ultra." (True, keep him a far by chipping him to death)
    "Akuma does fireballs in the air!" (True, so what!)
    "Seth was a f*ck cheap AI, I would hate to play someone like the AI." (Great, the AI is dumb as shit if you learned the AI's pattern)

Hulk, what would work for your idea is a 2/3 rounds, 2/3 matches, double elimination (losing to two of the matchups), 99 Second rule like a majority of US Professional Circuits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.