Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Got an arcade stick today

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Gambit

Well went to a buddy's house today and he wanted to go over to gamestop to trade in a few games. I hadn't   been to gamestop in a while so figured why not. Well while I was there I saw they had 1 street fighter IV arcade stick for sell and decided I had to have it. I like the stick its got some nice features and the button layout is great. The buttons themself aren't great but are ok. The real problem I have with the stick is I really hate the joystick. It just doesn't feel right and is stiff. This is something I will have to replace and will probley do the same with the buttons.

Now to say its been awhile since I used a stick is an under statement its been years. So far it's not like riding a bike its pretty discouraging to feel like im learning to play the game all over again. It may be a cop-out but I think some of this has to do with the crappy joystick on it. Ofcourse most of it is my lack of practice with a stick. But i'm determined to get good with an arcade stick, because I know i'll be a better player for it. There's a reason why top players don't use a controller or a fightpad for that matter. I know i'll never be a top player, but I do want to get the best I can at the game and I feel using an Arcade stick will help me do that.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gambit

Well went to a buddy's house today and he wanted to go over to gamestop to trade in a few games. I hadn't   been to gamestop in a while so figured why not. Well while I was there I saw they had 1 street fighter IV arcade stick for sell and decided I had to have it. I like the stick its got some nice features and the button layout is great. The buttons themself aren't great but are ok. The real problem I have with the stick is I really hate the joystick. It just doesn't feel right and is stiff. This is something I will have to replace and will probley do the same with the buttons.

Now to say its been awhile since I used a stick is an under statement its been years. So far it's not like riding a bike its pretty discouraging to feel like im learning to play the game all over again. It may be a cop-out but I think some of this has to do with the crappy joystick on it. Ofcourse most of it is my lack of practice with a stick. But i'm determined to get good with an arcade stick, because I know i'll be a better player for it. There's a reason why top players don't use a controller or a fightpad for that matter. I know i'll never be a top player, but I do want to get the best I can at the game and I feel using an Arcade stick will help me do that.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

Sticks are good, just don't give up buddy.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrGetBonus

I assume you got an SE? Anyway, hang in there. Playing on a stick definitely takes some getting used to if you haven't played on one in awhile. The last time I was on a stick before SF4 was MvC2 in the arcades so it took a little time to adjust.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Yeah, my stick arrived today and I honestly can't get used to it. I think I will wait till I order replaceable parts because I can get the joystick on my 360 to register more of the moves than I can on the stick. Maybe it is because I have more practice on my controller...

Any recommendations for the button layout?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Love your stick, play with it often, even when it's not plugged in :), I did when I got my first many years ago, now I adore it, I could never go back to a controller.

Make sure you develop a good neutral hand posture if you want to pick it up quicker. Be patient also, after a while something will just click and you will have it pegged.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By lordofultima

Yeah I'd recommend you stop even casually playing with pad if you're intent on using the stick competitively. Switching between the two will only mess you up.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

The analogy of riding a bike is so true.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai

Omg dude, I hate u :( I was at my EB n saw a SE stick and grabed it super fast and then  relaized it was for PS3 :(:( I was so mad and the guy working didnt even go see if he had more

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BBQBram

That's funny because I just now cleared all of Ryu's normal trials, using my SE for the first time. At first I was trying it out in survival and it was hard to get as good as I was with the fightpad, but then it just clicked and it feels way better with the fightstick now. Commit, my friend, commit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.